OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Troubleshooting Help

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 10th December 2009, 11:29 AM   #1
terrabyte Thread Starter

Default Printer jobs automatically pausing

Hey all,

Having some issues at the school I work at. Wondering if anyone ahs come across anything similar, I did a search but couldn't find anything, google doesn't really help either.

Basically every computer around the school, whenever it sends a print job, by default it is paused. After a minute of 2 this job will print. Or you can click resume on the print job and it will print automatically.

Now the thing is, it doesn't matter if it's a network printer, running off a print server, or a directly attached printer, all the computers seem to do it.

The box is not ticked to auto pause jobs and everything in the printer config seems right. This issue has only occured recently (past 3-4 weeks) and we've never had this happen before, and no config has been changed recently. I'm thinking it might be a windows update issue or something like that. (WinXP SP3 used).

Should also mention these are not big jobs, often just a single page of text. No idea what's wrong. Printers are warmed up and working as the resume button causes it to print immediately.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks guys.

Hundreds of trades over 10+ years.
terrabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 11th December 2009, 1:05 PM   #2
tjmc

What printers are you using and are they generally going through a print server? then sharing to the WinXP machines?
tjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 1:58 PM   #3
terrabyte Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmc View Post
What printers are you using and are they generally going through a print server? then sharing to the WinXP machines?
A large range of printers, mostly canon and HP laserjets, but theres the odd brother. There's probably 20 or 30 printers. Some of them are going through print servers and others are printing to them directly. Seems to happen either way.

Old 11th December 2009, 6:13 PM   #4
tjmc

Under the printer properties, go under the advanced tab and make sure there is a tick in the "Enable Advanced Printing Features". Then try again.

This seems to be a Group Policy thing to me though. Definitely not normal for that amount of printers to be doing the same thing. If it was 1 of the printers, I would say to delete the printer and try re-installing. Or failing that it could be a printer issue. However in this case its all of them.

Also, probably a long shot, but have you installed any kind of network interrogation software that audits the network. I remember once one of the guys where I previously worked setup some network monitoring software and it basically grind every printer to a halt.
tjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 8:28 PM   #5
terrabyte Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmc View Post
Under the printer properties, go under the advanced tab and make sure there is a tick in the "Enable Advanced Printing Features". Then try again.

This seems to be a Group Policy thing to me though. Definitely not normal for that amount of printers to be doing the same thing. If it was 1 of the printers, I would say to delete the printer and try re-installing. Or failing that it could be a printer issue. However in this case its all of them.

Also, probably a long shot, but have you installed any kind of network interrogation software that audits the network. I remember once one of the guys where I previously worked setup some network monitoring software and it basically grind every printer to a halt.
Thanks for the reply,

I'll have a look through the properties for that option and see if it's on.

I'll also have a look through group policy, but I don't think anythings been changed recently.

No network auditing software has been installed recently (That I know of :P).