Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Storage & Backup

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 15th December 2009, 9:47 AM   #1
s8n Thread Starter

Default Effin QNAP, Data loss. Please help

Hi Guys, i have a QNAP 509 PRO, 4 x 1TB WD drives in RAID5 and 1 x JBOD Seagate drive 250GB in size

The Raid used to backup its critical data to the JBOD disk

Last night, tired and not thinking i went ot reboot the NAS, instead i hit system reset.

All data, settings etc. Gone. The system runs ext2/3 i believe and is linux based

Im fucked. Had years and years of critical data, work stuff, photos of my european trip etc etc. Fucked. 100%

Can anyone assist me? Please

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 15th December 2009, 10:00 AM   #2
Rampage101

Tried emailing qnap people? (Sorry, got no other suggestions)
Old 15th December 2009, 10:02 AM   #3
s8n Thread Starter

Yep, useless.

Why woudl ANYONE put a feature in their gui that allows you to reset the system and loose all data with a single click??? its UNREAL. I looked at the qnap forums, there are countless people that have done the exact same thing...
Old 15th December 2009, 10:13 AM   #4
Rampage101

Has it had a new array setup yet then? (ie does it default to a certain array on whatever drives are in there). Do you get the option to re-create the array without initialisation?
Old 15th December 2009, 10:17 AM   #5
s8n Thread Starter

The array still exists, it just formatted it... took about 3-5mins i think after i reset it..
Old 15th December 2009, 10:19 AM   #6
aza2001

didn't you have sort of off- device backup?
[Shuttle Owners Club Member #2 Shuttle: SN25P]
[Apple Mac Owners Club Member & Founder #1 Mac & Spec's: G5 1.6, 200 & 80GIG HDD 1GIG RAM]

Do u think that my video card or my CPU has anything to do with my ping times, in this place? http://www.duk0r.net/matrix/matrix8.php
aza2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 10:22 AM   #7
s8n Thread Starter

yes, the jbod disk in the same unit which the fucking reset formatted to
Old 15th December 2009, 10:33 AM   #8
dr_deathy

couldn't be to critical if that's the only place you stored it.

a format isn't a true deletion of data either, best be talking to a pro, there is a guy on here who runs a data recover service, don't use the drives and get in contact with him, he might be able to guide you to a data recovery software to get most of it back, i hve recovered data of a formatted hdd before, but it wasn't a part of any silly RAID5 array.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/member.php?u=100132

there he is
dr_deathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 10:38 AM   #9
waxling

3-5 minutes seems like a short time for the number of disks/size of the filesystem it would have needed to format...

ssh into the box and post back what you get from a :
cat /proc/mdstat
waxling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 10:40 AM   #10
waxling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_deathy View Post
couldn't be to critical if that's the only place you stored it.
no, its kinda understandable, he did have a backup, it was just IN the qnap which nerfed it too. I would think that using the internal disks (even if its a separate raid/jbod) would be a bad move, and sounds like it was. I think using the external sata or usb ports would have saved you, as a reset would probably leave them alone (not sure).
Old 15th December 2009, 11:00 AM   #11
dr_deathy

all he had was a redundant HDD, same as having a RAID1 array, only saves you from HDD failure, not the million other things that kill data and HDDs.

lessons... SUCK.
Old 15th December 2009, 11:50 AM   #12
waxling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_deathy View Post
all he had was a redundant HDD, same as having a RAID1 array, only saves you from HDD failure
no, he had a 4 x 1TB raid 5 array, and a separate 250GB disk as a backup. Nothing like raid1. Depending on how he copied stuff onto the 250GB drive it might have been fine. His problem is that he had his backup in the same "box" using the same software and the software has boned him.
Old 15th December 2009, 12:19 PM   #13
dr_deathy

i know there is a technical difference, but end of the day he had a box which virtually had a RAID 1 array, which is not a backup. you get what im saying but you want to be leet, good for you.
Old 15th December 2009, 3:13 PM   #14
waxling

he "virtually" had no such thing. What he had was nothing like raid1.
Old 15th December 2009, 3:41 PM   #15
eixt

Quote:
Originally Posted by s8n View Post
Hi Guys, i have a QNAP 509 PRO, 4 x 1TB WD drives in RAID5 and 1 x JBOD Seagate drive 250GB in size

The Raid used to backup its critical data to the JBOD disk

Last night, tired and not thinking i went ot reboot the NAS, instead i hit system reset.

All data, settings etc. Gone. The system runs ext2/3 i believe and is linux based

Im fucked. Had years and years of critical data, work stuff, photos of my european trip etc etc. Fucked. 100%

Can anyone assist me? Please
Power off the device immediately. A quick format like that is likely to have not done a full pass of the drives and thus your data is probably all still there on the drives, so we want to prevent the stupid box doing anything more to the drives.
Pull the drives out of the unit, now we will start with the raided drives. Put the 250 drive to the side, and we can get to that at a later stage if need be.
When you remove the drives, its a good idea to just label them too as in 1, 2, 3, 4 in terms of where they were in the QNAP.

Now download this program: http://www.ufsexplorer.com/download_pro.php
It has helped me rebuild quite a few raid arrays. The trial version lets you rebuild the array and check the data is there before you have to buy a license.

Follow through these instructions:
http://www.ufsexplorer.com/inf_nas.php
and also look at http://www.ufsexplorer.com/inf_raid.php

Good luck and feel free to shoot me a PM or anything if your lost. No doubt its an enraging and terrible feeling
eixt is offline   Reply With Quote