Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Modding > Modding Worklogs

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 2nd January 2010, 12:35 PM   #1
NavidsonRecord Thread Starter

Exclamation EVGA Eclipse case build. lots of PICS!!!

Hi Everyone,

My first case mod/build. Wanted to share it from the beginning but got distracted so I'll pick up from where I'm at so far...

ENJOY!

Original idea was to have pretty much the latest gear all water cooled, but in a small case without losing performance.

Hardware list so far:

EVGA X58 micro
Intel i7 920
6GB Corsair Dominator 1600mhz
ATI 4870x2 (Want EVGA 295 SLI rig so I'll see what happens )
2x 640Gb raid 0 HDD
850w Thermaltake ToughPower PSU

Cooling:

360 Rad
EK CPU and GPU nickel water blocks
Swiftech mcp355
Tygon 1/2 tubing.

Lighting:

white and Red LEDs
White Cathodes.

Now the case I wanted in all alloy with no cables showing so that is the reason I have gone with 25x25mm alloy tubing. And if there were any they would be braided in full with MDPC-x sleave...
I alway like plain lines without too many angles or curves so I decided to draw up something in Sketchup to see if I like it.

roughly where everything will be placed.

added a custom res that I think makes the case standout and be different even with the very square design.

Now I put everything together and pretty up the external panels to match up and be similar to the final result I'm going for. hope you like?

SO LETS GET STARED.... TOMORROW... I have pleny more photos of progress to upload for everyone... I might even do it once I get home from work this arvo
NavidsonRecord is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 2nd January 2010, 12:43 PM   #2
broox

I'm liking the look of this!
Old 2nd January 2010, 1:06 PM   #3
Micah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broox View Post
Same I vote you do it today LOL
Old 2nd January 2010, 1:10 PM   #4

kk thanks guys!
Yea ok when I get home from work I will finish the rest of what I have. Fair bit of stuff to put up so check back at 5pm adelaide time
Old 2nd January 2010, 1:50 PM   #5
BigDave

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by broox View Post
+1 from me i'm keen, Have a crack buddy.
Old 2nd January 2010, 2:21 PM   #6
andhey

GL mate, really cant wait to see this thing
Old 2nd January 2010, 5:50 PM   #7

Ok I'm back home and as promised here is the rest

after I was happy with theory behind my build I got straight to work with my mate as we are working on similar builds. Now his uncle is a alloy window framer so he cut the frame up for us.

Nice drop saw he has there so cutting was a breeze! see all the alloy behind! sweet!

so with 2 jobs all cut and organised we start the dry fit.

heres mine ready whist my mate is still farting around:

I chucked the Rad in just to make sure I had done my math and it was all good.

And finally he has his too. insert Pyro taunt pose:

So with the frame all good to go and looking amazing I move onto the internals and from there work from the inside out.

As I was saying before the reservoir is a main feature and I wanted that to look pretty nice and unusual. I drew it up the base of the res in sketchup and sent the plans to a Acrylic cnc shop to make it. Then I would use some acrylic tube to join the 2 bases.

that was just some of the pics, I didn't want to bore you all too much.

a week or so later and I'm hard a work making completeing the res. here you can see the mini one being tapped. note this is just a mock up pic. And yes there was a proper wrench used it tapping that acrylic.

Here is my feature res in all its glory. I added a tiny bit of purple dye for effect. Hope you like it the finished one will be in a nice EVGA theme approved color. Yep you guessed it blood red!

as you will see I left some air in there so show the flow rate and cool effect of the water... no air reaches the bottom which is good so its not going through the pump.

__________________________________________________ ______________

Please note all photos so far are just iPhone pics. I just got my new camera and will be using that from now one where its handy. you may still see some glorious iPhone ones on the way.
__________________________________________________ ______________

Now I'm after this to by lasered or CNCed into the back pannel with LED lighting behind to give it that pro look. What do you think this would cost? work area is about 300x300.

__________________________________________________ _______________

So I have moved on from the res now thats done. next I want to make sure the PCI bracket and all the mobo supports fix and are fully functional.

We'll start with the MOBO backplate. I wont show the process just the near finished result.

The PCI bracket is the only part not made from scratch by myself in this case. I cut it out of a old microATX case. Not heaps of pics but ou get the idea. (grind it till it fits)

I needed to construct something to make it fit into the case I made now...

this will be JB-welded onto the PCI bracket I prepared earlier and undercoated. like so...

next update coming soon

Last edited by NavidsonRecord; 3rd January 2010 at 9:32 PM.
Old 2nd January 2010, 5:53 PM   #8
adsmo

subscribed. look forward to the overall finished product!
adsmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 6:19 PM   #9
AussieTemplar

Looking good!
Old 2nd January 2010, 7:07 PM   #10
Micah.

looks good as for the logo you could ask http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...d.php?t=837658 as He just got a CNC but you would have to post which could be a pain... But He might do it cheaper than other people so might be worth it
Old 3rd January 2010, 11:05 AM   #11
R3Dl2ULZ

It's looking good. Might be worth calling your local trophy supplier. There's one around the corner from my work, we only get perspex laser cut from them, but it should cost under $100 per panel.

Also, although the res looks better once made than I thought it would, I think you should consider rounding the ends for it so that it doesn't have the sharp corners.

Last edited by R3Dl2ULZ; 3rd January 2010 at 11:09 AM.
R3Dl2ULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 11:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Dl2ULZ View Post
It's looking good. Might be worth calling your local trophy supplier. There's one around the corner from my work, we only get perspex laser cut from them, but it should cost under $100 per panel.

Also, although the res looks better once made than I thought it would, I think you should consider rounding the ends for it so that it doesn't have the sharp corners.

all will be reveled there is something cool going to happen with that res but you'll just need to wait and see
hex-mesh anyone?
Old 3rd January 2010, 3:38 PM   #13
photonmoo

Mmmmmm, looks awesome so far dude, especially the custom res...totally awsome!!

Can't wait to see more
photonmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 9:27 PM   #14

Todays add it a bit of work I spent figuring out what lighting effect I should go for. I didn't want it too bright on the inside but sill needed the wow factor I guess... So I decided to add somthing smilar to the murderbox bottom panel light box. And some LEDS to look shiny.
I needed some white acrylic to pull off the sweet styles of the murderbox lighting so I went down to my old high schools tech shed to gather supplies I'm still good friends with the tech teachers there even thou I graduated 3 years ago now.

Heres some of the sweet tools I have at my disposal there sometimes.

sliding table saw

Thick blade rip saw

And a nice band saw for smaller detailed work.

after a day spent there cutting, drilling, grinding and sweating I have everything ready for my lighting system. Sadly I forgot to document this as I was rushing all day to do stuff as I didn't know when a class would come in and I would need to be kicked out lol
But I'll give you a teaser to what its looking like so far

Now the light in this one looks purple but I need to get some smaller 20cm white cathodes to get it right.

these photos are just mock up ones to make sure everything was fitting together good. And sorry they were taken on my iPhone... I know they suck. you get the idea so far....

Onto the LED lighting. I needed to think this out well to make sure it was neat and well hidden with no visible wires and I could unplug everything easy too. So I started devising a central power point build internally into my structure. I headed to Jaycar electronics in search of something to use as a switch bay.
I came across something perfect....
These speaker connectors which I already sleeved for my LEDs and a 4 port pin port to suit looks nice!

With the speaker 4 port housing I have hooked up to a Lamptron FAN-ATIC 5-Port Military Switch Baybus that can handle 60watts per channel.
one of these cos they are well made and look hardcore.

so here is me soldering up all the internals of this experimental system.

getting it into the frame was the tricky part but once it was in I was happy!
it looks a bit messy at the moment but will clean up great!

I have little rubber grommets to cover the alloy holes around the plug that dosn't look amazing cos the alloy didn't drill to nice by hand.

Thats when it hit me.... Why use 3 out of 5 ports on the the Lamptron FAN controller just in fans for my radiator when I can wire all my fans to 1 switch and add it to my new invention. like so.

I might do this to the pump as well cos then I have hi and low speed for fans and pump. Also dimmers for the lights too.
And the coolest part. Its alot prettier than having a tangle of molex plugs everywhere.

LED lighting

So I have:
40x White 5mm
40x Red 5mm
100x UV 3mm

so far I have only planned to use a white lighting effect but we will see what it matures into I guess.

All the LEDS I wanted to have built into the alloy frame tubing so its neat.
so step 1 drill the alloy tube.

the LEDs prepped with the resistors.

I went for parallel wiring so if 1 blows the rest will still work and it was easier to figure out with the resistors. lets begin.

Here is my trusty soldering buddy eyeing down the first LED of the job.

2 lines of 9 LEDs for the display window in front done so far and now installing them.

To reassemble the frame back together I used these connectors so if I need to pull it apart I don't need to rip out all my LEDs

Just a quick test run to see if everything was working.

I got to clean up my pics in future as the alloy looks very dusty but I guess a 11mp camera picks that sort of thin up pretty well. its actually alot neater looking in person trust me. The final eye candy will be done out of my messy workshop

What ya all think so far? Any cool ideas anyone wants to add?
Old 3rd January 2010, 9:33 PM   #15
iNoob

Nice, I like,

Where the hell did you get soo many led's lol. How much did it set you back on them alone? Don't have to answer if you don't want to