Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Networking, Telephony & Internet

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 8th January 2010, 4:50 PM   #1
eddiemess Thread Starter

Default Issues with Thomson TG782T Bigpond ADSL2 Router

Ok, so after using my DG834G for many many years, we've finally upgraded to ADSL2. Now the upgrade happened very quickly, so I was still using my DG834G via ethernet for a few days although it was limited to 8mbit(ADSL max I believe?).I was getting good speeds and everything was stable, just the same as its been for the past 4-5years. So this terrible Thomson TG782T comes in the mail today, I set it all up in about 10minutes, very very easy and now all it does is drop out whilst playing steam games and other UDP heavy connections such as World of Warcraft. I've been reading numerous forums such as whirlpool and there are several complaints about the same issue, which is being blamed on the modem not being able to handle the UDP connections and treats it as a UDP flood, thus disconnecting me from my game servers.

Is there anyway to increase the size of the UDP flood (buffer?) or remove detection of this?I connect for about 10seconds to a L4D2 server and then timeout.

The firewall is off on the router, ports are forwarded correctly, is this router combo just not up to it?Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Last edited by eddiemess; 8th January 2010 at 10:05 PM.
eddiemess is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 8th January 2010, 10:02 PM   #2
caspian

get an aftermarket modem. basic consumer modems are not meant to handle enthusiast levels of performance. if your downstream bitrate is 8Mbps or less then your old modem will not be a restriction.
Old 8th January 2010, 10:08 PM   #3
eddiemess Thread Starter

It's really annoying, yeh the old Netgear receives 8Mbps but thats only ADSL capable, the Thompson allows a bit more being ADSL2 capable and I hit 10Mbps. Hoping Telstra can send out something decent, else I'll probably get a Billion 7800N.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian View Post
get an aftermarket modem. basic consumer modems are not meant to handle enthusiast levels of performance. if your downstream bitrate is 8Mbps or less then your old modem will not be a restriction.
Old 8th January 2010, 10:16 PM   #4
yoda123

I just did the same, only plugged in my modem today, sync at 17.8mb and have been playing wow all night + downloading torrents no worries..

So no problem here with the same modem ?
yoda123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 10:25 PM   #5
eddiemess Thread Starter

Did you forward ports and turn UPnP off?Play any games on Steam?TF2, L4D2, CSS, CoD?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda123 View Post
I just did the same, only plugged in my modem today, sync at 17.8mb and have been playing wow all night + downloading torrents no worries..

So no problem here with the same modem ?
Old 8th January 2010, 11:03 PM   #6
yoda123

UPnP is still on, I did setup Bittorrent forwarding to my chosen PC, but turns out my trackers block those ports anyway so that doesn't really matter.

Sorry I don't have steam or any of those other games.
yoda123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 11:04 PM   #7
caspian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemess View Post
Hoping Telstra can send out something decent, else I'll probably get a Billion 7800N.
the TG782T is the current standard issue kit. unless you've been unlucky enough to score a bad one, it would only be replaced with an identical unit.
Old 9th January 2010, 11:33 AM   #8
eddiemess Thread Starter

Hopefully my old man can work something out, he has been working there 35 years now...that's why I'm a little shitty they make him upgrade and then give a low-end modem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian View Post
the TG782T is the current standard issue kit. unless you've been unlucky enough to score a bad one, it would only be replaced with an identical unit.
Old 18th August 2010, 4:51 PM   #9
lewisinsydney

Question Faults with my ThomsonTG782T

Hi there, I was just wondering, did anyone have any problems with how the DSL functioned? I have had problems with this when I start up the modem. Also, when the DSL light and the Internet light are both solid green (which means that there is some form of signal I'm guessing), the Internet works but it is not as fast as it should most probably be (most downloads run at about 50 KB/S). I do not think that this is a sufficient speed and I predict that there might be something wrong with our line as well as the modem. If anyone could help me out here that would be greatly apreciated!
Also, would it effect my ADSL connection if I bought another modem that could work up to my standards? This modem doesn't have great range, nor does it have good speed when I am able to connect to it from an appropriate distance. I also would like to ask, would getting a different modem other than the one that telstra sent me have the same funtion in that I can log into my bigpond username and password address to enable the use of my Internet connection?
lewisinsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 8:16 PM   #10
caspian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemess View Post
Hopefully my old man can work something out, he has been working there 35 years now...that's why I'm a little shitty they make him upgrade and then give a low-end modem.
it's not a low end modem at all. it's perfectly acceptable consumer grade kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisinsydney View Post
the Internet works but it is not as fast as it should most probably be (most downloads run at about 50 KB/S). I do not think that this is a sufficient speed and I predict that there might be something wrong with our line as well as the modem.
without a lot of further detail then you're just guessing. log into your modem and retrieve the DSL performance stats and post them for a start.

have you reported the issue to your ISP's support department? did you go through troubleshooting with them? what was the outcome? what did they say?

Quote:
Also, would it effect my ADSL connection if I bought another modem that could work up to my standards?
depends on whether the modem is the cause of the fault. if not, the primary effect would be your wallet would get lighter. see my comment above for some things that should be done before considering replacing the modem.
caspian is offline   Reply With Quote