Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Mobile Phones & Devices

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 16th February 2010, 8:04 AM   #1
Oppressa Thread Starter

Default Windows Phone 7 Series

Wow, no thread yet!

http://www.windowsphone7series.com/

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...15MWC10PR.mspx

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/15/w...ressions/?s=t5

Can't wait to get the 1.5Ghz HTC coming out towards the end of the year with Win 7 installed

The interface looks very different to what we've used before but I can definitely see myself getting used to this UI with Zune integration.
Main: Cooler Master Elite 342, i7 3930K, Corsair H80, Rampage IV GENE, Corsair 4x4Gb 2133Mhz DDR3 Dominator GT, Sapphire 7970, OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS 120Gb, 1Tb Western Digital Green, 2 x Pioneer DVR-212
HTPC: Silverstone SST-GD01S-MXR, i5 4670, Scythe Big Shuriken, ASUS Z87M-PLUS, G.Skill Ares F3-1866C9D-8GAB (2x4GB) DDR3, 8Tb of storage, Pioneer Bluray BDR-206
Oppressa is online now   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 16th February 2010, 9:28 AM   #2
mshagg
Politburo

The demo on the MS page is actually kind of neat. One thing i'd like to know is if there is a back end... and if the interface we see is simply a shell that MS is running over the top of the OS.

No sense/mobile shell is a bit of a concern IMO. What sets WinMo apart from the others is the insane degree of customisation which can be applied. If we're going to be tied in to the one interface for interacting with the device then i might as well get one of 'those' other smartphones.
mshagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 9:50 AM   #3
Oppressa Thread Starter

Good point about the self-customisation. Only time will tell I guess but I think the MS teams would be smart enough to realise that it's the chefs at xda-dev that are responsible for a lot of the success of Windows Mobile to this date.
Main: Cooler Master Elite 342, i7 3930K, Corsair H80, Rampage IV GENE, Corsair 4x4Gb 2133Mhz DDR3 Dominator GT, Sapphire 7970, OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS 120Gb, 1Tb Western Digital Green, 2 x Pioneer DVR-212
HTPC: Silverstone SST-GD01S-MXR, i5 4670, Scythe Big Shuriken, ASUS Z87M-PLUS, G.Skill Ares F3-1866C9D-8GAB (2x4GB) DDR3, 8Tb of storage, Pioneer Bluray BDR-206
Oppressa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 10:18 AM   #4
Decromin

20+ min vid walkthrough of many features here:

http://channel9.msdn.com/posts/Laura...Hands-on-Demo/
Old 16th February 2010, 10:24 AM   #5
nexx

It looks like a step in the right direction. Breaking app compatibility is a good thing too imo.

My biggest concern is lack of multitasking, wtf?
nexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 10:26 AM   #6
Decromin

Did anyone see any mention of zune-like wireless sync? If that exists in the phone, I might be pretty tempted to use it as a media device ...
Old 16th February 2010, 10:29 AM   #7
bl4ck32

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexx View Post
Breaking app compatibility is a good thing too imo.
Id agree. Give it time with some devs and we should see the benefits.
Old 16th February 2010, 10:32 AM   #8
theDarkHorse

*geeking out*

I think there will be wireless sync (this is supposed to have all the Zune functionality anyway). To be honest, though, I haven't used wireless sync on my ZuneHD that much...

EDIT: There is wireless sync. http://channel9.msdn.com/posts/Laura...Hands-on-Demo/ About three quarters of the way in the video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by two40 View Post
I'm going to caress the hump like a teat on a sexy woman. Not sure what that feels like but I'm going to do it anyway!

Last edited by theDarkHorse; 16th February 2010 at 11:12 AM.
theDarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 10:35 AM   #9
Wolf
Lex generalis

I think the tiles concept has a lot of promise, but I would never use it unless I can customise it a lot from what was shown. First, I would absolutely have to customise the theme and look of the tiles so they look less flat and simplistic. Indeed, I find the whole Metro aesthetic far from looking good is actually quite horrid. Then I would need to be able replace the Microsoft services like live, bing and xbox live and with services I actually use. If I can do that, then maybe I'm interested. Still not sure why MS thinks this is what end users want.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 10:42 AM   #10
DavidRa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexx View Post
It looks like a step in the right direction. Breaking app compatibility is a good thing too imo.

My biggest concern is lack of multitasking, wtf?
This combo is a deal breaker for me. I can't see the videos thanks to the customer site's nannywall so I wasn't aware of these drawbacks to the new OS - if it's true then I guess I will be going Android.

I do love my Touch Pro (6.5) too

Edit: Oh, worse is the insistence on social networking s*** and it being a personal phone. There are what, 5 non-customisable hubs on the device, and I feel I would have no use for at least 4 of them (People, Photos, Games, Music/Video). And besides, there's a sixth for Marketplace, which no-one mentions.

An example (remember that this is the new forced approach:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microsoft
The "People" hub. This hub delivers an engaging social experience by bringing together relevant content based on the person, including his or her live feeds from social networks and photos. It also provides a central place from which to post updates to Facebook and Windows Live in one step.
OK. Sure I have a contact list. But I don't use Crapbook, Barfer, Windows Dead Profiles or whatever they are called this week and I don't want to. I don't want live feeds about which of Joe's f*cking dogs just barfed up on his shoes. I don't think "Hmm, Fred I need to call" I think "Hmm, I need to call Fred". But this new MS interface is people centric (and Yoda might love it).

Yes, I know other people work differently. That's why we have customisation in our UIs, not manufacturers dictating "YOU WILL HAVE FIVE BUTTONS, AND FIVE BUTTONS THERE WILL BE. FOR VERILY FIVE IS THE ONLY VALID NUMBER. UM. UNTIL WE NEED A SIXTH AND YOU SHALL BUY A NEW PHONE, FOR FIVESIX SHALL BE THE REQUIRED NUMBER OF BUTTONS". See how dumb it looks when I put it that way?

Edit 2: OK I'm ranting. But where's the functionality going to end up? Where's the time and weather and appointments on the home screen? Hell, with the 6 hubs, where does the Internet browser fit? Or maps?

Edit 3: Fuck MS, it's a FUCKING PHONE. WHERE IS THE "USE THE PHONE AS A PHONE" ICON on the home screen? Fucking social media wankfest. I'm going to go take a Valium, drink some Bonox and go lie down

Last edited by DavidRa; 16th February 2010 at 11:17 AM.
DavidRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 11:20 AM   #11
platinum

Looks awesome - I would almost sell my iPhone for it if they don't do something amazing before this is launched.

Beautiful screen and hardware, smooth/sleek interface, everything has been designed properly and "makes sense" for those people who want to be well connected and have access to everything in one place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRa View Post
OK. Sure I have a contact list. But I don't use Crapbook, Barfer, Windows Dead Profiles or whatever they are called this week and I don't want to. I don't want live feeds about which of Joe's f*cking dogs just barfed up on his shoes. I don't think "Hmm, Fred I need to call" I think "Hmm, I need to call Fred". But this new MS interface is people centric (and Yoda might love it).

Yes, I know other people work differently. That's why we have customisation in our UIs, not manufacturers dictating "YOU WILL HAVE FIVE BUTTONS, AND FIVE BUTTONS THERE WILL BE. FOR VERILY FIVE IS THE ONLY VALID NUMBER. UM. UNTIL WE NEED A SIXTH AND YOU SHALL BUY A NEW PHONE, FOR FIVESIX SHALL BE THE REQUIRED NUMBER OF BUTTONS". See how dumb it looks when I put it that way?
Sounds like a Nokia 3210 would almost be perfect for you.
platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 11:29 AM   #12
koma_white

I wouldn't be surprised if there's multiple UI layouts of Win Phone 7 to reflect the different demographics.
What they've demonstrated appears to be the 'Home' (personal) version which would be targetted to the personal user. I'd also like to see a 'Professional' version set up for a commercial environment (ie. focus on calendar, email / exchange).

I guess what i'm saying is i bloody hope it's like what HTC did with their Sense UI with the multiple profiles that you can swap between depending on what your doing/using it for. Monday-Friday:9-5 it stays in 'Professional' mode, after hours or weekends it reverts to 'Home' (personal) mode.
Old 16th February 2010, 11:35 AM   #13
DavidRa

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum View Post
Looks awesome - I would almost sell my iPhone for it if they don't do something amazing before this is launched.

Beautiful screen and hardware, smooth/sleek interface, everything has been designed properly and "makes sense" for those people who want to be well connected and have access to everything in one place.

Sounds like a Nokia 3210 would almost be perfect for you.
Nope, I'm loving WinMo 6.5 (HTC Touch Pro, custom ROM). Multiple processes running, incl multiple email accounts, web browsing, local games, office apps, stock ticker, weather. Can also run mapping (eg Glympse/Latitude).

In what appears to be the new UI, I can't do this. If true, it sucks and 6.5 will be the end of the line because I'd have to radically change how I work to suit the phone - which I believe is the exact opposite of what should happen.

Edit: Just heard from a colleague that he feels the same way. Was about to propose WinMo to an insurance company instead of BBES (since BES can be a bit of a pain). He's also of the opinion that it's too personally focused (if the business provides the device, the business doesn't want people facebooking/twittering the day (and data!!) away).

Last edited by DavidRa; 16th February 2010 at 11:38 AM.
DavidRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 11:36 AM   #14
punkerdaleski

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRa View Post
Rant
Good rage I love it.
Totally agree too.
punkerdaleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 11:38 AM   #15
bl4ck32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshagg View Post
The demo on the MS page is actually kind of neat. One thing i'd like to know is if there is a back end... and if the interface we see is simply a shell that MS is running over the top of the OS.
So can we clarify that the ui is just a shell?