Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Overclocking & Hardware

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 11th March 2010, 10:43 PM   #1
k23man Thread Starter

Default Oxidised motherboard

Hi all,

I bought an Asus P45 motherboard, along with a CPU, RAM, video card and power supply slightly less than a year ago. Right from the start, the new configuration gave me issues, notably that the computer would spontaneously shut down when playing games. I wasn't sure which component was causing the issue, and the problem only occurred intermittently. Just a few weeks ago, the problem got much worse, to the point where the computer would shut down at any time, and finally it wouldn't boot up at all. I substituted a few components and worked out it was probably the motherboard causing the issue, and since I'd purchased it less than a year ago, I took it back to the retailer for repair/replacement under warranty. Apparently they sent it down to Melbourne to be repaired by Asus.

A few minutes ago I got an email from the retailer saying:

Dear Customer

Please be advised that the below item(s) are warranty-void and irreparable.

RMA# AUAA030649
S/N 8AM0AI316527
Model P5Q
Problem Oxidation

Please find attached snapshot(s) for more details.

Should you have any concerns regarding this issue please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,

Here is the photo that was attached.

Click to view full size!

Obviously I'm going to call the retailer tomorrow, but in the meantime, I'm wondering.

1. What causes oxidation on a motherboard?
2. Do you think it's reasonable that they'd refuse to repair it under warranty?

The retailer is run by people who don't speak English very well, and their customer service isn't that friendly. I guess that's the price you pay for buying cheap hardware.

Thanks for your help!
k23man is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 11th March 2010, 11:10 PM   #2
Agg
Lord of the Pings

Looks like some spilled or sprayed liquid has landed there and rusted it away over time. Yes, I think it's reasonable that it is not covered by warranty, because warranty is meant to cover manufacturing defects and other issues on their side. This seems to be something that has happened in the wild.
Old 11th March 2010, 11:33 PM   #3
k23man Thread Starter

Hmmm, yeah it's just strange because as I said, the motherboard has always played up intermittently (although I didn't know it was the motherboard at the time), and I haven't taken it out of the chassis since I installed it. Can't see how anything would've been sprayed in there. I can see how it would look like that though.
k23man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 12:25 AM   #4
chainbolt
The end is near?

Strange stuff, I don't remember to have this before at such a place - from leaking / bulging capacitors yes, but at soldering points? Looks indeed some sort of liquid dropped or was spilled, and corroded the metal .
chainbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 12:29 AM   #5
ir0nhide

Some moisture has got to it, and unfortunately it is hard to prove where it came from.

If you have evidence of the problems extending from near purchase time, I'd be trying your luck with the retailer for replacement. Other than that, seems like one of those shitty things that can happen.

PS: yummy copper oxide
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomman View Post
I think you'll find the diggers would prefer he goes in marine uniform.
ir0nhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 7:07 PM   #6
LabRat

it almost looks like the guts have leaked out of that chip at that point looking at the top of the legs?
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 7:11 PM   #7
mAJORD

there's nothing to leak out of an IC, so something's certainly landed on it, somehow.

Looks like something a drop of coke would do to be honest.. even a splash of it from opening a can.

might actually be fixable too if there's no via affected
mAJORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 8:17 PM   #8
qnutnut

OMFG.... I HAD the same board the SAME winbond chip and THE SAME problems and symptoms! was a few days out of warranty when it finally kicked the bucket.

oh and NO, no water was spilt on the chip or board. it is in a protected case with no WCing.

Click to view full size!

As you can see the same pins are affected. Asus P5K-S/E - Lasted 369 days

Would be interesting to hear any other cases of this happening. ALSO, what is that winbond chip used for?

Last edited by qnutnut; 12th March 2010 at 8:20 PM. Reason: addition
qnutnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 8:26 PM   #9
slobber

Its possible this is caused by the soldering die being contaminated/in need of cleaning

I would take this to consumer affairs as it is quite possibly a manufacturing fault

And yes................its much better to spend a few more $ on a reputable supplier, one who you give most of your business to
Describe the sound for me so I can close my eyes and touch myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris View Post
If you watched this show voluntarily you should be sent to the ovens.
slobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 8:32 PM   #10
qnutnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobber View Post
I would take this to consumer affairs as it is quite possibly a manufacturing fault
Could just be coincidence. Hence im interested to see if this has happened to anybody else
Old 12th March 2010, 8:44 PM   #11
mAJORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnutnut View Post
OMFG.... I HAD the same board the SAME winbond chip and THE SAME problems and symptoms! was a few days out of warranty when it finally kicked the bucket.

oh and NO, no water was spilt on the chip or board. it is in a protected case with no WCing.

pix

As you can see the same pins are affected. Asus P5K-S/E - Lasted 369 days

Would be interesting to hear any other cases of this happening. ALSO, what is that winbond chip used for?
Now that's freaky.

The chip is a Super I/O chip, it provides legacy fucntions like FDD controller, serial ports, PS2 etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobber View Post
Its possible this is caused by the soldering die being contaminated/in need of cleaning

And yes................its much better to spend a few more $ on a reputable supplier, one who you give most of your business to

There's nothing I can think of in the soldering process that could cause that in the same spot especially. Either of you got a much higher res / macro shot? :S
Old 12th March 2010, 8:44 PM   #12
petercr

I severely doubt that it's a manufacturing defect... see the waterstain to the right of the picture? It's almost inline with the corroded pins - there's been moisture dripped onto the board. There's also signs of oxidisation on surrounding pins too which suggests it wasn't just plain ol' water.

Iffff... you carefully cleaned the pins on that IC with some isopropyl alcohol it might work (and it might make it look a little less obvious if you decided to try again to get it checked)...
OCAU Folding Hall of Fame member, December 2010 Iron Folder
I think if we were doing Bio-terrorism@Home, it wouldn't be that popular - Vijay S Pande
petercr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 8:45 PM   #13
Riddick187

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnutnut View Post
Could just be coincidence. Hence im interested to see if this has happened to anybody else
Nah, it's just too alike to be an accident. Unless you both spilled a drop of coke on the exact same pins of a small IC chip heheh

Prolly a defect with the factory soldering die that handled that chip at the time these boards were made or some kind of electronic migration causing a short circuit and that area got effected/melted like that due to again a defect.
Riddick187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 8:49 PM   #14
mAJORD

mmm Perhaps the lead tinning of a batch (or more) of thesuper I/O chips is missing in that area. i.e plain copper that's eventually corroded

-edit.. Slobber is that what you're refering to?
Old 12th March 2010, 8:51 PM   #15
qnutnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercr View Post
I severely doubt that it's a manufacturing defect... see the waterstain to the right of the picture? It's almost inline with the corroded pins - there's been moisture dripped onto the board. There's also signs of oxidisation on surrounding pins too which suggests it wasn't just plain ol' water.

Iffff... you carefully cleaned the pins on that IC with some isopropyl alcohol it might work (and it might make it look a little less obvious if you decided to try again to get it checked)...
If your reffering to my board. That isnt a water stain. its been sitting in a junk pile for MONTHS after it died and had heat sinks stripped from it. That is dust. I literally had to dig it out when I saw this thread.

*The picture was taken with a Nikon POS Coolpix s210 under macro. Its a v. shit digi camera.