Developer: Markus 'Notch' Persson
Format: Digital Distribution
Players: 1+
Ratings: N/A
Release Date: Beta Release - 2010

What is Minecraft?
Description of Minecraft from Minepedia:

Quote:
Minecraft is a sandbox construction game created by Markus Persson and is currently in pre release alpha. Minecraft development started around the 10th of May 2009, pre-orders for the full game started being accepted on the 13th of June.

The game involves players creating and destroying various types of blocks in a three dimensional environment. The player takes an avatar that can destroy or create blocks, forming fantastic structures, creations and artwork across the various multiplayer servers in multiple game modes.
Video:
Fan-Made Trailer:

X's Adventures In Minecraft:

16-bit ALU Created In Minecraft:

Minecraft Song by Bobby Yarsulik (audio download here)

Media:

ABC's Good Game Review's Minecraft

Rock, Paper, Shotgun's Mine The Gap

VG Cats Comic

Penny Arcade Does Minecraft:
Part 1
Part 2

Websites:
Quote:
The Official Minecraft Site - Play the game here.
Minecraft Wiki - The official wiki for the game.
The Dev Blog - Go here to read about Notch reviewing various things all the awesome new updates Notch is putting out.
Notch's Twitter - Can be read on his blog as well.
The Official Minecraft Forums - If you visit these, stick to the Mapping and Modding forum. It's the only one worth visiting. You'll find all the good custom servers, great programs and texture packs here.
World of Minecraft - The WoM Custom Client lets you hack and play offline in Minecraft Classic. Also a community that runs great custom server.

1. OCAU Shenanigans Server:

whopperohyeah.com

Read the wiki before joining!

2. Icabaaad's Server:

remoted.ath.cx

Last edited by Broden; 21st December 2010 at 4:46 AM.
Broden is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 17th March 2010, 12:53 PM   #2
Ace Rimmer

I have absolutely no idea what I'm looking at.
Ace Rimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 9:30 PM   #3
Stiff

What's happening here? I'm scared!
Stiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 9:32 PM   #4
Ace Rimmer

My video card died today. Those pictures remind me a bit of what it looks like now with all the artifacting and only displaying limited colours.
Ace Rimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 12:49 AM   #5
flinchy

haha it's really not that bad

you have all sorts of different coloured blocks

and you make stuff
in a multiplayer environment

there's also a modded client that lets you fly/run fast too.
Originally Posted by Taceo Corpus View Post
BRB - building a Faraday Cage.
Thinly veiled "I'm wrapping myself in chicken wire".
flinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 7:17 PM   #6
King Krapp

Shit yeah, first-person lego! Anyone else playing the Alpha version? I love the offline client. Here's a dodgy guide to a town me and a mate made... we really should update that.
i7 3770k @ 4.4Ghz w/ Silverstone HE01 - Asrock Z77 Extreme4 - 16GB 1600MHz CL8 G.Skill Ripjaws - 2GB Gigabyte GTX 680 OC - 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 + 7.64TB storage - 12x Blu-Ray Writer - Xonar DX - HX750 - Fractal Design Define XL Black - Dell U2713HM - 2x LG W2343T-PF - CoolerMaster Storm Trigger (cherry blue) & Steelseries Sensai - Audioengine 5 - ATH-AD900X (open) - Samson C01U
Steam - Twitter - Last.fm ~$6126 in trades
King Krapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 10:27 PM   #7
SID135

I'm gonna go right ahead and copy the OP from SomethingAwful (I do this a lot) as its the most informative thing I can do.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMP
[timg]http://img.waffleimages.com/909520ed1a0e9135df2d8f869f6ad43a155902d3/logo.gif[/timg]

What is Minecraft?

That's the gist of it. As of now there are two game modes, Creative and Survival.

Creative - Best described as digital Lego. Creates an INFINITE world and gives you unlimited blocks.

Survival - Picture creative, but you have to craft your tools and mine for the blocks. Build a fort, avoid monsters, make a farm, or go spelunking and get the shit scared out of you. This is the 'real' Minecraft experience.

Some of the best features:
- INFINITE map sizes. It will generate new map areas as you walk towards the border.
- Vast cave networks. You can get lost in them for hours.
- [s]Accidentally[/s] start a forest fire and watch the world burn.
- Unique water and lava systems.
- As sandbox as a sandbox game can get.
- Notch puts out a secret update every Friday. This is a new tradition so it may or may not stick.

Still not interested? Then check these out.

Videos and Pictures

A 5 minute flyby of the infinite landscape

Amazing buildings by ecrider: The Riksdagshuset, The Reichstag, A Cathedral.
16-Bit Adding Machine

Creative Pictures
[timg]http://img.waffleimages.com/0a314601d719988962582863152988cf0eef2b24/5.jpg[/timg][timg]http://img.waffleimages.com/f388566d126fe4c9d5ad3686fe3f031287fc3d17/6.jpg[/timg][timg]http://img.waffleimages.com/7e671d3ea6a28df28a7eeb250f40139ecfe19709/7.jpg[/timg][timg]http://img.waffleimages.com/d482de6d7cf18ad2800d7485ec22174a7265cb1f/8.jpg[/timg]

Survival Pictures
[timg]http://img.waffleimages.com/9a047de9230db183ce580fc6de85ee8a9c561965/1.jpg[/timg][timg]http://img.waffleimages.com/a197d34f2cca842d59c68f33981d8a5d2dc1743a/2.jpg[/timg][timg]http://img.waffleimages.com/8e3608c2a1a7ed040313ee9393170dbb8420fee4/3.jpg[/timg][timg]http://img.waffleimages.com/ce56db38d2c7962747a74c76df25c683de45a982/4.jpg[/timg]

- Infinite map sizes. It will procedurally generate more map as you walk.
- An amazing and intricate cave system. You can get lost in these things for hours.
- Unique water and lava systems
- [s]Accidentally[/s] start a forest fire and watch everything burn.

Where do I play the game?
It's browser based, but there is an offline client you can download.

If you want to play survival, play using one of these links: Browser | Downloadable Client.
Note: This game mode does not have multiplayer yet. Notch has said he will begin working on it July 5th.

If you want to play creative, play using one of these links: Browser Singleplayer | Browser Multiplayer | CPColin's Client | WoM Client
Note: This game mode does not have most of the features that survival does. Notch has favored updating Survival instead. It doesn't have the cool lighting or half the blocks that survival does. However, it is the only mode with multiplayer. Notch will add Creative to survival soon.

Is it free?
Yes and no. Right now Minecraft is in alpha, creative is free and survival is pay-only. It is highly recommended you buy it now, instead of when it goes into beta as the price will double. When you purchase the game, you get access to Survival and the ability to have a custom player skin.

Current Price:9.95 | $13.00 | 8.00
Pre-Purchase Here

Useful Links
Websites
The Official Minecraft Site - Play the game here.
Minecraft Wiki - The official wiki for the game. Run by sperglords, currently has the most info though.
:siren:Minepedia - Ran by me and another goon (laCour). Feel free to help out this wiki and turn it into something that isn't as shitty as the official one.:siren:
The Dev Blog - Go here to read about [s]Notch reviewing various things[/s] all the awesome new updates Notch is putting out. It updates frequently so keep :f5:ing.
Notch's Twitter - Can be read on his blog as well.
The Official Minecraft Forums - If you visit these, stick to the Mapping and Modding forum. It's the only one worth visiting, unless you like wading through a bunch of babby posts. You'll find all the good custom servers, great programs and texture packs here.
World of Minecraft - The WoM Custom Client lets you hack and play offline in Minecraft Classic. Also a community that runs great custom server. (Also ran by me :ssh
:siren:Minecraft Servrers PGS Thread - New thread thanks to Hard Clumping.:siren:
The Skin Index - A great site where users submit skins. If you're an unoriginal scrub who can't make skins, go here :smug:.

Official Minecraft Goons Irc - #sa-minecraft on synirc.net

Programs & Utilities
Isometric Live Map Preview - Use this for your survival worlds.
NBT Forge - A map editor for Survival.
OMEN - A map editor for Creative
Isocraft - A great isometric image generator. Only works with creative maps.
Cartograph - Creates a map of your survival world. It's quite buggy right now but gets the job done.
INVEdit - You can use this to edit your inventory in survival.
NBTEdit - You can use this to change almost anything about your save. Spawn point, health, etc.
Skin Edit - A tool you can use to edit your player skin.

Textures
Don't like the default graphics? Here are some of the popular/goon made ones.
Tahel's Texture Pack
SMP's Texture Pack
Cheap Shot's Futuristic
Chocolate Syrup's Weapons
Tufty's Marscraft - For some reason, this is the game .jar. It is out of date so extract the textures and reinsert them in the up to date .jar.

None of these interest you? Try browsing this list. Someone on the minecraft forums compiled every texture pack into one megathread.

Don't know how to install these? Read this.

Tips and Tricks

CHANGING YOUR SPAWN POINT

How to get more momentum on your tracks

:siren:[http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...#post379450842]HOLY JESUS, HIGHER RES TEXTURES IN MINECRAFT. CLICK THIS.[/url]:siren:

Yes, that simple.

A typical cave journey
[timg]http://img.waffleimages.com/483b77c50632acceb2e6f617fdad9c5c4ad65a9a/2csg9wn.png[/timg]
I'll have to fix all the pic links tomorrow as I'm just about to walk out the door for the night.

Everybody should play this game, the developer is a legend and is adding content every friday (for the most part)

Also, MP survival is on its way so I'd love to play with some OCAU people when that takes off.
SID135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 10:47 PM   #8
King Krapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID135 View Post
Also, MP survival is on its way so I'd love to play with some OCAU people when that takes off.
Shit yeah, I'd be up for that.
i7 3770k @ 4.4Ghz w/ Silverstone HE01 - Asrock Z77 Extreme4 - 16GB 1600MHz CL8 G.Skill Ripjaws - 2GB Gigabyte GTX 680 OC - 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 + 7.64TB storage - 12x Blu-Ray Writer - Xonar DX - HX750 - Fractal Design Define XL Black - Dell U2713HM - 2x LG W2343T-PF - CoolerMaster Storm Trigger (cherry blue) & Steelseries Sensai - Audioengine 5 - ATH-AD900X (open) - Samson C01U
Old 19th July 2010, 4:23 PM   #9
scrad

This game x 11ty

its the best $14odd i ever spent. no other game has given me this much value for money.
scrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 10:54 PM   #10
SID135

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrad View Post
This game x 11ty

its the best $14odd i ever spent. no other game has given me this much value for money.
I'm going to work on a new OP for the game over the next few days. The current one does not represent the game in its current state (well, maybe creative servers but thats only a tiny part of the game)

Honestly, everybody should buy this game right now. You will not regret it.
Old 19th July 2010, 11:25 PM   #11
King Krapp

Perhaps we could post some pics of our Alpha projects?
Old 20th July 2010, 12:36 AM   #12
flinchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID135 View Post
I'm going to work on a new OP for the game over the next few days. The current one does not represent the game in its current state (well, maybe creative servers but thats only a tiny part of the game)

Honestly, everybody should buy this game right now. You will not regret it.
yes, indeed it doesn't

op was made on creative only

shit's so fun though :P
Originally Posted by Taceo Corpus View Post
BRB - building a Faraday Cage.
Thinly veiled "I'm wrapping myself in chicken wire".
flinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 10:44 AM   #13
SID135

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Krapp View Post
Perhaps we could post some pics of our Alpha projects?
Go right ahead! I've just started a new world last night so its not too developed. I'll post a few pics in a day or two.
Old 20th July 2010, 10:56 AM   #14
King Krapp

'Tis a bit hard to properly screenshot mine (points for thinking things through, eh?) because I tend to just add bits on when the whim takes me so it's all over the shop.

Click to view full size!

Here's my save, anyway (for the alpha client).

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SJSYFYD3

To use it, if you don't know, (on 7) go to C:\Users\*USERNAME*\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\sav es, extract my file and name it as an unused world number.
Old 26th July 2010, 5:04 PM   #15
rm -rp ./Matt*

Big ups bumps to minecraft, so far I've just walled myself off from monsters and started mining but now I'm going to build a fort, can't find any iron ore though
rm -rp ./Matt* is offline   Reply With Quote