Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Other Toys/Hobbies

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 25th February 2012, 1:01 PM   #466
mtma

The reason is because the df03ra was originally the df03 (buggy), which has larger wheels so the design doesn't really accommodate the right gearing on the ra for under 13T motors. I'm already running the largest pinion and smallest spur for the tamiya gears. Any more and I'd have to go to kawada 48dp gears, but even then the spur won't go much smaller because it will get swallowed by the slipper clutch plate.

Buggy wheels is the easiest stopgap and I've tried it before, though it looks ridiculous under the shell and the suspension wasn't really designed for it.
mtma is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 25th February 2012, 1:42 PM   #467
0M39A_1337

assumed that would be the case, but just wanted to confirm. good to know as i was looking at getting a df03ra at some point, as rc rally cars have interested me for a while now.

found this as well if it helps you at all
Quote:
If you have the slipper clutch for the df03ra a 70 tooth 48 pitch thunder tiger
sparrowhawk spur gear and slipper pads is a direct fit and you can use 28t to 33t pinion gears but I couldn't get enough top speed with it and needed to go
to a higher kv motor than the lrp x11 13.5 that I had in it also the associated
75t spur gear will fit if you run a 5mm drill through the centre.I think that this is a good rally car but getting parts could be a pain.The thunder tiger performs very well as a rally car and parts seem to be less of a problem but most of all running these cars is a ton of fun and relatively cheap compared to my other stuff and even with some speed difference between the cars running with the pack is easy enough to do or just rejoin the pack next lap around if you stack.The kind of fun we had running these cars is what got me into rc.
taken from http://www.rctech.net/forum/australi...ydney-nsw.html
0M39A_1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 3:19 PM   #468
mtma

Yeah the way the df03ra has been done causes a lot of niggling issues. The stock kit parts only really work ok with lower power motors, and even then there's still problems so I wouldn't recommend it in the face of other choices.

the TT spur gear might be a goer though if it's going to be a direct fit.
mtma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 11:24 AM   #469
MagyaR

I wonder if the banana>EC5 (14awg from HK) charging plug is capable of carrying the required current from the Lipo to ESC. It would save me from making a cable. I would just need to chopped the Deans off and replace it with a EC5 plug.
MagyaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 7:49 PM   #470
apsilon

I'm getting back in to RC a bit with a scale trail rig and want to give these new fangled LiPo batteries a go. Can anyone recommend a battery that fits in the space of an old Tamiya style stick? Most of them are about 2mm too wide and 10mm too long (can be max 128mm long and 45mm wide) from looking at the Turnigy ones on the Hobbyking site. There's a couple of 2200mah that will work but looking for other options to make sure I make the best choice.
apsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2012, 4:40 PM   #471
dmandn

Hi guys, got a traxxas 1/16 e-revo (not had it long), and first run got dirt in diff housing/bulkhead (not the diff itself) and caused wheel wobble, cleaned and wheel wobble stopped. Sounds like some may be in it again, is there a way to stop this? I am not even using on sand.

Also more importantly, the outside of the front left tyre seems to have just separated from the rim, what can I use to rejoin? (guessing some sort of glue)
Old 27th May 2012, 4:42 PM   #472
RAtSAcK

Not sure what to do to fix the wheel wobble issue.
But, for the wheel, just use some tire glue. I use Zap-A-Gap CA glue. Strong as hell and does a good job.
RAtSAcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 10:47 PM   #473
dmandn

I have some dirt hawg tyres and hpi rims on the way, anyone know how to fit them properly and how to balance? Is there a slower setting glue?

If not something I'm likely to get right first go is anyone in Perth that is willing to help fit them?

Last edited by dmandn; 30th May 2012 at 11:18 PM.
dmandn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 2:20 PM   #474
the_fuzz

this is probably much more relevant here

bought my son one of those cheap HSP RC's off ebay - its a Nitro Buggy.

Anyway, I started it for the first time on the weekend and as soon as I started it, it was as if it was in full throttle - this lasted approx 6 seconds and the car stopped - pulled the motor apart and the piston rod has smashed to pieces.

Anyway - Can you just buy any other motor and throw it in or does it have to be the same size (cc's)? I was just going to grab another motor as the seller is being a bit of s dick at the moment in terms of warranty etc

Cars are not my thing
Old 28th June 2012, 6:07 PM   #475
TomJ

RC Newbie alert...

Sorry but this thread seems to be full of tech jarg and links to super wicked parts and shizzle. That's cool and the gang but may I interject with a request for recommendations for beginner kits. Like this one perhaps??
http://www.hobbyman.com.au/CAR-KITS/...TRUGGYS/pl.php

or this...

http://rchobbies.com.au/store/produc...ducts_id=66500

The Hobby Store in Perth is way too expensive
TomJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 8:26 PM   #476
B.D.R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
RC Newbie alert...

Sorry but this thread seems to be full of tech jarg and links to super wicked parts and shizzle. That's cool and the gang but may I interject with a request for recommendations for beginner kits. Like this one perhaps??
http://www.hobbyman.com.au/CAR-KITS/...TRUGGYS/pl.php

or this...

http://rchobbies.com.au/store/produc...ducts_id=66500

The Hobby Store in Perth is way too expensive
Steer well clear of the ANY GV car\trucks\truggies, VERY entry level, as in not much better the toy grade

Also these are the ONLY shops to buy from mate
, unless you have an awsome LHS, but it sounds like you don't.

http://www.amainhobbies.com
http://towerhobbies.com/
http://www.rc-mushroom.com/
http://www.rcmart.com/

If you have never had a nitro before, and none of your mates have them, do your self a favour and get eletric, SOOOOOOO much easier for a beginer, and quicker the Nitro

What sort of budget you running, as that will help decide what to get in the long run
While they are slightly different, for this purpose they are close enough to be indistinguishable.
B.D.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 10:27 AM   #477
TomJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.D.R View Post
Steer well clear of the ANY GV car\trucks\truggies, VERY entry level, as in not much better the toy grade

Also these are the ONLY shops to buy from mate, unless you have an awsome LHS, but it sounds like you don't.

If you have never had a nitro before, and none of your mates have them...
I thought Truggies were the bomb!

LHS? Left Hand Steer?

MY brother had a nitro a few years ago, I drove it straight under the pool fence and got it stuck there.... split the fuel tank open

Budget I'd say is around $500 to start with and I don't think I'll be 'as into it' as people in here with the gears and upgrades etc.
Old 29th June 2012, 10:44 AM   #478
B.D.R

TomJ, truggies are great.

GV aka Great Vigour, are not a brand i would recomend to any one

LHS=Local hobby store

$500 is a fine start up budget, just keep an eye out on some sites like http://www.rctech.net/forum/australia-sale-trade-103/

You should be able to get something mid to higher end, for that sort of money as long as your patient, i still say eletric is the way to go, Nitro is a pain in the arse even for long term converts

Here this will come in JUST on budget way better than GV too, with Tower discount codes you can save a fortune.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAZUT&P=ML

Few batterys from Hobbyking and charger, you would be set

Mind you the above is showing my preferance, but it does give you an idea
While they are slightly different, for this purpose they are close enough to be indistinguishable.
B.D.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 12:03 PM   #479
0M39A_1337

so are you after a 1/8 truggy then? decide what style vehicle you are after then we can give you some suggestions

the common off road choices are 1/10 short course (in 2wd and 4wd), buggy (2wd and 4wd), stadium truck and monster truck. in 1/8 its buggy and truggy.

i assume you are just interested in bashing around and having a laugh? most people start that way, but racing is where the real fun is at

i probably wouldnt suggest a crawler, as they are a different kettle of fish all together. and definitely go electric, with nitro there isnt much of a middle ground, its either cheap and nasty or expensive. not to mention the noise and smell and tuning involved. electric there are so many choices there is a combo to suit anyone's budget these days.
0M39A_1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 2:19 PM   #480
TomJ

If there's something better than a truggy for offroad use with some small jumps then I'm all ears... that one linked above seems a bit large and ugly TBH! Maybe 1/10 electric is the way to go for me... Yep, bit of fun, no interested in racing them

I love the smell of nitro in the morning!