Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Overclocking & Hardware

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 15th May 2010, 8:30 PM   #1
dembones Thread Starter

Default Foxconn RS-338 Mini-ITX Case Mini Review

Well i did some searching and couldnt find a decent review of this case , so i figured id make one just incase people are looking at getting this case, Please be kind this is my first review and i do apologize about the photo quality, only camera i have atm is my phone's camera.

Lets take a look at the case.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Starting at the top, there are two areas of ventilation, the vents towards the back of the case actually have a 80mm exhaust fan underneath, the front vents do not. On the top of the Front bezel we see the power button, reset button and hard drive activity LED, which is red.

On the front bezel we have a stealth type 5.25" bay cover, under it is a button for opening the optical drive, under that is the blue power LED. Further down the case we have an external 3.5" bay and under it is our two USB 2.0 ports and front panel audio jacks.

On the rear of the case, we have plenty of ventilation, a space for your motherboards I/O shield, 1 low profile expansion slot, a latch which allows you to lock the case with a padlock (not included) and the 150watt power supply which is included with the case, this power supply is branded FSP Group and have 1x 20+4pin ATX plug, 1 4pin CPU plug and 2x SATA power plugs. The power cables are not sleeved and arnt the longest, but they're perfect for this case.

Lets go inside.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Taking off the left side panel reveals the inside of the case, this panel is secured to the case via 1 screw, not a thumbscrew

At the front of the case is the optical drive bay and external 3.5" bay, this cage has to be removed to install the motherboard and hard drive. It is easily removed by unscrewing two screws at the front of the case and then it simply lifts off. When removed you can install the optical drive into the cage and the external 3.5" device, using two screws per device. Note a standard hard drive will not fit in the 3.5" external bay with the front bezel cover in place, as the hard drive will not clear the power supply behind it.

Once the cage is removed, you are able to get to all the motherboard risers, There are 4 motherboard risers to attach the mini-itx form factor motherboard using the included screws. The hard drive is attached using two screws, going through the front of the case into the side of the hard drive, it can be a bit tricky to slide the hard drive into the area its meant to sit with the power supply installed.

On the top rear of the case is an included 80mm exhaust fan, it is installed in a plastic case which slides into groves in the top, and then is held in with one screw, this fan uses a 3pin power plug.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Included with the case are two adjustable feet which will give better stability if you choose to have your case standing vertically. Also a power cable is included and a little bag of screws along with a couple of zip ties

I hope this mini amature review helps anyone thinking of buying this case.
dembones is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 15th May 2010, 10:59 PM   #2
Mau1wurf1977

Looks cute!

Is this a intel Atom board? Or H55?
Mau1wurf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 11:39 PM   #3
dembones Thread Starter

using the foxconn D51S atom board
1gb ARAM PC2-5300 ram
160gb low profile seagate hard drive
LG SATA DVDRW

it surprised me to find a dual core atom with HT

its quiet enough, the cpu fan makes a slight noise, probably less than 25db though, its perfect as a torrent box and pretty quick too
Old 16th May 2010, 5:32 PM   #4
Garido

Awesome review, I was considering buying one but yeah lack of reviews.

EDIT: Well until now anyways. If you have any issues with your PSU please post as I'm weighing up a few options.
WTB: Samsung SSD/HDD, DDR3 RAM, nVidia 8600GT, Dual Monitor Stand, Lenovo S10e Battery
Garido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 11:16 AM   #5
Jethed

I got one of these cases months ago.
The only problem is the main power cable doesnt quite reach the socket on the mother board. I think thats more the fact that the motherboard ive got in it is places towards the top side of the board rather than on the right side of the board like the one in these pictures. Simple cable extender fixed this.
Makes for a good box to put next to a plasma or LCD screen.
Jethed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 5:26 PM   #6
dembones Thread Starter

the last few days ive been repainting this case
Ultra Blue panels with Sungold interior

the colours kinda look like tonka truck colours
Old 21st May 2010, 1:08 PM   #7
s3kemo

I bought this case for a mITX board. It worked well for me for a couple of months I used it.

It'll be in the FS section this weekend (moved to a different form factor)
48 Successful Trades: bAbY_RoG3R, red_marine, NuMatthu, z3[n], jtsmorris, ShaneBrooks, JeffK, DigiTal, orbisfactor, Rickster x3, krayzia2, other ed, foreva, Lowy, siamak, BananaMan, karsa, FoxMan, Howard, MiniDisc, jboles, jimboh2k, Datsun1600, neilz, gmturner, T-Bones, NforSa, phat_s14, Drewcarey, inspectr, kathshan x3, MultiSlayer, tuapui, sizzaone, j00cy, evo800v, Skidoo, Goth, zha50, wast3gat3, Herman, Zenskas, mookie3three, Psycronic, 180degrees, Garido
s3kemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 1:51 PM   #8
Garido

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3kemo View Post
I bought this case for a mITX board. It worked well for me for a couple of months I used it.

It'll be in the FS section this weekend (moved to a different form factor)
Have you done a review? What temps are you getting because I believe some of the FOXCONN boards were fanless which is good but can run warm.
WTB: Samsung SSD/HDD, DDR3 RAM, nVidia 8600GT, Dual Monitor Stand, Lenovo S10e Battery
Old 22nd May 2010, 8:14 AM   #9
dembones Thread Starter

im using a Foxconn D51S mini itx board in this case, the small heatsink is actively cooled by a small fan, and cpu temps are about <50
Old 22nd May 2010, 12:34 PM   #10
Garido

Quote:
Originally Posted by dembones View Post
im using a Foxconn D51S mini itx board in this case, the small heatsink is actively cooled by a small fan, and cpu temps are about <50
So wait this must be one of the newer ones to have the fans. If anyone has the older ones can they post temps?

Dembones, is the fan loud and whiney?
Old 22nd May 2010, 5:13 PM   #11
s3kemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garido View Post
Have you done a review? What temps are you getting because I believe some of the FOXCONN boards were fanless which is good but can run warm.
With a gigabyte GA-GC230D (atom 1.6ghz single-core) it was low 40s idle, low 50s under load with only a 80mm case fan. CPU HSF had its fan unplugged for the testing.

so temps were pretty good for me. certainly nothing to worry about.
48 Successful Trades: bAbY_RoG3R, red_marine, NuMatthu, z3[n], jtsmorris, ShaneBrooks, JeffK, DigiTal, orbisfactor, Rickster x3, krayzia2, other ed, foreva, Lowy, siamak, BananaMan, karsa, FoxMan, Howard, MiniDisc, jboles, jimboh2k, Datsun1600, neilz, gmturner, T-Bones, NforSa, phat_s14, Drewcarey, inspectr, kathshan x3, MultiSlayer, tuapui, sizzaone, j00cy, evo800v, Skidoo, Goth, zha50, wast3gat3, Herman, Zenskas, mookie3three, Psycronic, 180degrees, Garido
s3kemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 9:10 AM   #12
dembones Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garido View Post
Dembones, is the fan loud and whiney?
you can hear it if you're trying to, but it doesnt make a high pitched noise like other tiny fans, does about 4500rpm, but when you are trying to hear it, its more of a drone
Old 25th May 2010, 1:56 PM   #13
Garido

Not too bad. I'm still aiming for the older Foxconn Intel Atom ones which were fanless, hopefully they've dropped in price and I can get one on the cheap.
Old 25th May 2010, 6:31 PM   #14
dembones Thread Starter

asus have some passive atom boards that are pretty cheap
Old 25th May 2010, 7:52 PM   #15
Garido

Quote:
Originally Posted by dembones View Post
asus have some passive atom boards that are pretty cheap
I'm looking at spending under 100 :P