Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Audio Visual

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 24th May 2010, 1:37 PM   #1
Deltoid Thread Starter

Default [BNE] Improving TV Reception

I get SBS pretty poorly at my house. All the other channels are fine. SBS works but the sound and picture get choppy at times. I'm using my TVs inbuit HD tuner.

When I look at the signal strength and quality both are quite low.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Is it a matter of pointing my antenna in the right direction or more to it than that?

Can anyone recommend someone to come do this for me? I called Mr Antenna who are $75 for the callout fee and first 30minutes, then $20 per 15minutes plus parts. Which to me sounds a bit much.
Deltoid is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 24th May 2010, 1:52 PM   #2
Stooge007

i assume you have a roof mounted antenna?

if so, check it's still in one piece (cockatoos landing on the ends can bend/break them)

if above is OK, then check it's still pointing in generally the same direction as your neighbours. you can try moving it slightly left or right which may improve the SBS signal (get someone to sit in front of the TV with the signal indicator on the screen while you fiddle with it)

if above is OK, did the reception problem only start happening recently? could have cable break issues between the antenna and your wall outlet.
Over 150 successful trades, most recent: Elfanger, peteed1985, alexis, onbail, xsphera, OAG, Duff Man, skiitz, byson, Cestevenson, ShaunDXB, Piroteknik, myf360f1, Thraxeh, austin nguyen, QLDguy1, cooleagles, Temp16, Haillion, nordica-k2, Barra-oz, austin nguyen, MAXKNOTT, LG456, junkie13, Reveng3, sunjet, 2red, jbomb, OnGsTa, k1ll3r, DEMONDOCTOR, dabell, bumthology, Zee, JWM, ricey236, Defyant, Macross, freshwat3r, zzyss, r3s, Henry, Loadingdread, frenzal, Shaker, lonewolf77, raikay
Stooge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 1:55 PM   #3
Deltoid Thread Starter

I might go up there on the weekend and have a look. I had the roof replaced about 6 months back and I think they pulled the antenna down and put it back while doing that. So chances are it might just be pointing the wrong way. I'm a bit worried about falling off the roof though, so will have to see if I can safely get to it or not.
Deltoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 4:03 PM   #4
barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltoid View Post
I get SBS pretty poorly at my house. All the other channels are fine. SBS works but the sound and picture get choppy at times. I'm using my TVs inbuit HD tuner.

When I look at the signal strength and quality both are quite low.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Is it a matter of pointing my antenna in the right direction or more to it than that?

Can anyone recommend someone to come do this for me? I called Mr Antenna who are $75 for the callout fee and first 30minutes, then $20 per 15minutes plus parts. Which to me sounds a bit much.
I had almost the exact experience as you a few months back, right down to calling Mr Antenna!

MA came around, and TBH was very disappointed in them. The guy did not know how to fix the problem, and was very non-committal as to whether a new antenna would help me get SBS.

So, I got a second opinion. The guy came around on time, got straight up a ladder with a new antenna, and I had SBS in all it's glory. I got him to replace the previous splitter and install new quad-shield coax where required (from antenna down to splitter, then from splitter to one wall point).

So yeah, it turned out that I had an older style antenna that while it could receive VHF digital channels (ABC, Seven, Nine, Ten), it could not do VHF digital (SBS). Once that was sorted I had SBS.

MA had no idea really, for what was a very easy fix in the end.
Old 31st May 2010, 1:54 AM   #5
nipper575

Upgrading to quad shield can work wonders, it definitely did for me.

I've also upgraded all the wall sockets to using F type connectors, nice and secure. I figured that Austar use them over belling lee connectors for a reason. Prior to doing this, some of my signal problems where contributed to the fact that the belling lee connectors were fairly loose in the wall sockets.

I make my own leads out of quad shield coax and crimp connectors, you can buy a proper quad shield stripper and crimper from places like Jaycar relatively cheaply. Having the shortest leads needed also helped improve my signal quality.
nipper575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 1:34 PM   #6
c3rb3rus

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney View Post
I had almost the exact experience as you a few months back, right down to calling Mr Antenna!

MA came around, and TBH was very disappointed in them. The guy did not know how to fix the problem, and was very non-committal as to whether a new antenna would help me get SBS.

So, I got a second opinion. The guy came around on time, got straight up a ladder with a new antenna, and I had SBS in all it's glory. I got him to replace the previous splitter and install new quad-shield coax where required (from antenna down to splitter, then from splitter to one wall point).

So yeah, it turned out that I had an older style antenna that while it could receive VHF digital channels (ABC, Seven, Nine, Ten), it could not do VHF digital (SBS). Once that was sorted I had SBS.

MA had no idea really, for what was a very easy fix in the end.
Barney who did you get out the 2nd time?
Just looking for someone who is decent in Brisbane thats all. You can just PM the details if you dont wish to post the name up here. Cheers
Old 31st May 2010, 2:29 PM   #7
g12345567

If you are using a non amplified splitter for distributing the tv signal to more than one tv point,

Try to run the cable directly to one tv from the roof antena without the splitter. If this fixes the problem, get an amplified splitter.

Otherwise you will need a masthead amplifier to prevent signal loss.
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 | Gigabyte EP35-DS3P | 4x 1GB Geil C4 800Mhz | XFX 8800GT 1gb video card | 1 x WD 500gb SATA II | 1 x Seagate 320GB SATA II | 1 x Seagate 1.5tb | LG GSA-H10N dvdrw ide | Antec SP-500 | Antec SLK1650B Case | Viewsonic Vx2025WM LCD | Logitech Elite Multimedia Keyboard and Premium wheel optical mouse.

Last edited by g12345567; 31st May 2010 at 2:31 PM.
g12345567 is offline   Reply With Quote