OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > PC Games > MMOs

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 18th August 2010, 9:59 AM   #31
Raptor_Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by danske91 View Post
just saw this for $5 in a bargain bin at my a eb on holiday, couldn't resist (i mean its $5 bucks??). shame is that i wont be home till the 24th to play it saves me the download though. i only got a small-ish cap so it was worth buying it. ++ doesn't that mean i get a free 30 day sub? i wonder how that will go when it goes f2p, can only wait and see.
you will have to download a ton of updates though, probably 2gb worth.
Main PC: Core i7 3770k @ Stock (CM TPC 812)-ASUS P8Z77-V PRO-16GB Corsair Vengeance LP-GTX 580 3GB Phantom-Crucial M4 256gb, 600GB WD VelociRaptor, 640GB WD Black, 2TB WD GP, 3TB WD GP-Silverstone Strider 850W Gold-Silverstone FT02B-Dell U2711 & AOC 210V-Auzentech X-Fi Prelude-Audio Technica A900-Logitech Z-5500-Razer DeathAdder Black Edition-Microsoft Reclusa
Raptor_Eye is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 18th August 2010, 4:46 PM   #32
GarethB

Free to play launch date has been announced. Sept 10th (US East Coast timezone, so 11th for Aust).

http://www.lotro.com/news/pressreleases/782

Quote:
Originally Posted by danske91 View Post
just saw this for $5 in a bargain bin at my a eb on holiday, couldn't resist (i mean its $5 bucks??). shame is that i wont be home till the 24th to play it saves me the download though. i only got a small-ish cap so it was worth buying it. ++ doesn't that mean i get a free 30 day sub? i wonder how that will go when it goes f2p, can only wait and see.
The disk version you bought won't be up to date, there will be a lot of patching needed (it's automatic) and you won't be able to get into the game until your client is up to date, but you have saved yourself having to download the full client.

Buying the disk gives you 30 days free play, but there's less than 30 days to go before the game goes free to play anyway (and then everyone will have to patch their clients because the free to play launch includes game updates and a landmass expansion)

Still, if you install the game before free to play launches you'll start as a VIP player which gives you a few extra options that free players won't get. You can use the 30 free days to decide if you want to stay on a paid subscription or become a free player. If you have a limited download cap, it's going to take a bit of a pounding between patching the client on the disk, then another patch next month for the F2P launch.

Last edited by GarethB; 18th August 2010 at 5:02 PM.
GarethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 5:51 PM   #33
Raptor_Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethB View Post
Still, if you install the game before free to play launches you'll start as a VIP player which gives you a few extra options that free players won't get. You can use the 30 free days to decide if you want to stay on a paid subscription or become a free player. If you have a limited download cap, it's going to take a bit of a pounding between patching the client on the disk, then another patch next month for the F2P launch.
indeed, but if you know someone who is a member of a isp with a decent game website(like internode with games.on.net) you can download a recent full game client which does not count towards your/there quota, so they could send ya a disc.
Main PC: Core i7 3770k @ Stock (CM TPC 812)-ASUS P8Z77-V PRO-16GB Corsair Vengeance LP-GTX 580 3GB Phantom-Crucial M4 256gb, 600GB WD VelociRaptor, 640GB WD Black, 2TB WD GP, 3TB WD GP-Silverstone Strider 850W Gold-Silverstone FT02B-Dell U2711 & AOC 210V-Auzentech X-Fi Prelude-Audio Technica A900-Logitech Z-5500-Razer DeathAdder Black Edition-Microsoft Reclusa
Old 18th August 2010, 9:05 PM   #34
GarethB

With the free launch only a few weeks away I think it might be worth discussing how things will work for "free" players. I'll amit that I haven't been keeping a particularly close eye on all the details of free play so I don't have all the answers, but there are some details I do know that are worth mentioning.

If you don't buy a disk from a store (and the most recent version of the client on the disk is over a year old now), you'll need to download a client from somewhere. Search the LOTRO threads here and you'll find where you can download the current client from local services. Keep in mind that (as far as I know) the freeplay client for the live servers has not been publicly released yet. Only the freeplay client for the beta test is out right now and that client will not connect to the live servers (and the freeplay beta test is now closed).

So what do free players get?

Server access. You can access all live servers. Each server is a complete copy of the game world, the game world is not split up to have different areas on different servers. All servers have the same content and the same rules as far as gameplay and player conduct is concerned.

Characters. Free players are limited to one character per server. More character slots can be unlocked (more on this in a little bit). All characters of the same player across all servers are linked to the same player account (more on the significance of that in a little bit). Characters on free player accounts have limited storage space both on the characters themselves (carried inventory) and in the bank/vault system. Extra storage space can be unlocked. Free characters have a cap on how much in-game money they can have on them. In-game money cannot be stored in the bank/vault system, that system is only for storing gear and related items.

Landmass. All free players get access to all the original "Shadows of Angmar" landmass. Moria/Lothlorien was a paid expansion and must be bought with cash no matter what type of account you have (free and paid subscription). Mirkwood/Dol Guldor is also a paid expansion for all players.

Level cap. The Shadows of Angmar level cap is 50. The current level cap is 65 but the level cap you can reach is controlled by which paid expansions you buy. If you sign on for freeplay but do not buy any paid expansions you are restricted to level 50. If you buy Moria, you can reach level 60. If you buy Mirkwood, you can reach 65. The game expansion going live with freeplay next month does not raise the level cap for anyone.

Quests. Here is where I need to explain a bit about things you can unlock on a freeplay account. The game world is split into zones. Each zone has it's own set of quests. Even through freeplay accounts start with access to 11 zones, they will not have access to all quests in those zones (freeplay will get automatic access to all quests in all starter zones). There is a way to unlock these quests. The game has what are called "Epic quests" which represent the core story of the game. Free players have access to those without needing to unlock anything, but the Epic quests by themselves will not earn enough experience to reach level 50.

As a player (free and paid) completes tasks in the game they will earn "Turbine Points". These Turbine Points are what freeplayers need to unlock things like more bank/vault space, more character slots, etc. Also, the non-Epic quests in most zones will need to be unlocked using Turbine Points. These are called "Quest packs" and most zones will require you to buy a Quest Pack to get access to the non-epic quests. You can buy Turbine points with real money (which is probably what Turbine is hoping most free players will do). Turbine points can also be used to buy consumables and gear. Basically, there are going to be lots of things to spend the points on, and Turbine's business plan probably depends on free players spending their points faster than they earn them on things they don't really need, then paying real cash for more points when they realise they genuinely need something and don't have enough points for it. Players on paid subscriptions will receive extra turbine points each month and get automatic access to all quests and features.

My advice, make Quest Packs your #1 priority for spending Turbine Points on, then character slots (you can use alts for extra storage also play them to earn more points), then either bank/vault space or rasing your in-game money cap. Don't use the turbine points to buy gear, you get free gear as quest rewards. The mob loot you pick up and vendor will be your main source of in-game money. One tip, when you complete a quest that offers gear as a reward, but the gear doesn't interest you, pick the most expensive item and sell it to a vendor NPC to earn more in-game money. You will also pick up consumables like potions from mob loot and as quest rewards.

You cannot transfer gear or in-game money across servers, but Turbine Points are stored in a common pool for your player account. Every character that you have on every server contributes points to your account pool and those points can be used on any character you have on any server. If you have three characters, each on a different server, all points that all three characters earn go to your account pool.

Player vs Player. There is only 1 PvP zone in the entire game and it is not possible to enter that zone by accident. It is walled off from the rest of the game world and you must deliberately choose to enter it. There are also experience level limits you much reach to enter the PvP zone. When your first game character reaches level 10 you can create a "monster" character, called a "creep" in-game, such as an orc or warg or giant spider. I do not know if creeps can earn turbine points. When your normal game character, called a "freep" (Free People) reaches level 40 you can take that character into the PvP zone, but all creep characters are created at level 65, so a level 40 freep will be nothing more than a chewtoy for a level 65 creep.

I do not know if free-player owned creeps will be limited to the level 50 cap, I suspect they won't because they would be chewtoys against level 65 paid-player freeps in PvP.

That's the basics. You earn Turbine Points through gameplay and can use them to unlock extra features, buy gear and consumables, but my advice is save them for unlocking quests in zones first. Free players may enter all zones avalable to them, there is no restriction on that, but if you go into a zone and you don't have enough points to buy the quest pack for that zone, there's nothing to do except kill random mobs for loot and xp, or give Turbine real money to buy the points to get access to the quests.

[edit] After doing some more checking on the official forums, according to freeplay beta testers when you unlock a quest pack with turbine points, that quest pack is unlocked for all characters on your account, across all servers. You only need to unlock each quest pack once and all your characters have acces to it. Some other features need to be unlocked for each character seperately.

[more edit] Official announcement from Turbine rep on the LOTRO forums. Official launch date for freeplay is Sep 10th (US time) but current game members can be patched and back in the game on Sep 8th (US time). http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=350865

[more edit] A couple of things I've heard over the last few days. For current players who have a skirmish helper, skirmish helpers will be reset at the f2p launch, all the marks you have spent levelling them up will be refunded. The reason for this is that apparently Turbine are rejigging the skirmish helper tiers, but I don't know the exact details of what has been rejigged or what effect that will have. Also, current players will earn Turbine Points for any reputation deeds they have completed with various NPC factions, so if you have high reputation with a lot of factions, expect to receive a sizeable pool of Turbine Points. I don't know if this will involve a reset of your reputation levels and if you'll have to spend the points to get the reputation back.

Last edited by GarethB; 24th August 2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 27th August 2010, 10:48 AM   #35
Fatal..

I was looking into getting this game, and assuming it probably won't be at my local EB games anymore (I'll check anyway) I opted for downloading it.

BUT, after downloading it (through the LOTRO website) and attempting to install it, I got a lot of corrupted file warnings (namely client_highres.dat and more).

Anyone (specifically GarethB ) know of any solutions to this? Would the best bet be to buy the game? I looked through the LOTRO forums and I'm not the only one getting this problem, and it seems that it isn't anti-virus/hardware related, people seem to think that the Turbine downloader is corrupting the files.
Rig: Core i5 2500k || Noctua NH-U12P-SE2 || ASRock Z68 Fatal1ty Professional Gen3 || G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD (2x4GB) DDR3 || XFX Radeon HD5850 X-Fire || Crucial M4 SSD 128GB || 2 X 500GB WD SATA || Silverstone FT02 || Corsair AX850 Gold || Z5500 || Roccat Arvo/Kone || Windows 7 64bit || 3 x Dell U2311H in Eyefinity

Last edited by Fatal..; 27th August 2010 at 11:23 AM.
Fatal.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 11:11 AM   #36
Raptor_Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal.. View Post
I was looking into getting this game, and assuming it probably won't be at my local EB games anymore (I'll check anyway) I opted for downloading it.

BUT, after downloading it (through the LOTRO website) and attempting to install it, I got a lot of corrupter file warnings (namely client_highres.dat and more).

Anyone (specifically GarethB ) know of any solutions to this? Would the best bet be to buy the game? I looked through the LOTRO forums and I'm not the only one getting this problem, and it seems that it isn't anti-virus/hardware related, people seem to think that the Turbine downloader is corrupting the files.
try downloading just a full client? http://games.on.net/filelist.php?app=7132&menu=16

no chance of stuff being corrupted then, at least i would think... have not installed lotro for a whle
Old 27th August 2010, 11:25 AM   #37
Fatal..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor_Eye View Post
try downloading just a full client? http://games.on.net/filelist.php?app=7132&menu=16

no chance of stuff being corrupted then, at least i would think... have not installed lotro for a whle
Cheers Raptor, I'll give this a go!
Rig: Core i5 2500k || Noctua NH-U12P-SE2 || ASRock Z68 Fatal1ty Professional Gen3 || G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD (2x4GB) DDR3 || XFX Radeon HD5850 X-Fire || Crucial M4 SSD 128GB || 2 X 500GB WD SATA || Silverstone FT02 || Corsair AX850 Gold || Z5500 || Roccat Arvo/Kone || Windows 7 64bit || 3 x Dell U2311H in Eyefinity
Old 27th August 2010, 11:46 AM   #38
Lothar

So what does the Free to Play mean to the lifetime subscribers that happened when the game came out?
Lothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 7:28 PM   #39
danske91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothar View Post
So what does the Free to Play mean to the lifetime subscribers that happened when the game came out?
they get VIP or something for life time, so basically upgraded for life
danske91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 8:50 PM   #40
GarethB

Quote:
Here is a chart that lists the differences between VIP, Premium and Free players. A Lifetime subscriber is VIP.

http://www.lotro.com/betasignup/vipchart.html

Note: Mines of Moria added 2 more playable classes, legendary items and a gfew other features but you had to buy the MoM expansion to be able to get those, so some details on the chart may not match up to what you have now. That's because the chart is based what players who DON'T have MoM get.

Every feature and perk that you currently have as a lifetime subscriber, you keep. You'll receive 500 free "Turbine Points" each month which can be used in the LOTRO online store. You'll earn more points as you complete various deeds while playing.

Two more notes related to my last post above.

NPC faction reputation for paying players is being changed to turbine points, paying players will have their current reputation levels converted into points. I have no idea what the conversion rate will be. The points won't be given to players in one hit, the points will be spread out and given to players daily during the first week of F2P. At the end of that week a paying player will have received all the points their current reputation levels amount to. I do not know if players will need to re-spend those points with the factions or if we keep our current reputation levels and the points can be used on whatever we want.

Turbine Points can be used in the LOTRO store to buy paid expansions, so a free player could buy MoM and Mirkwood entirely with turbine points instead of cash, if you can save up enough points (considering how many features need to be unlocked on a free player character, saving enough points to buy the expansions may not be easy). I don't know how many points are needed to buy MoM or Mirkwood. As far as I know the next paid expansion should be purchasable with turbine points as well, but the release date for that hasn't been announced yet. This F2P launch includes a new free landmass zone.

Danske, since you bought the game with real money, you'll start off as VIP because of the 30 days free play you get, then if you don't sign on for a monthly subscription fee you'll change to Premium. I don't know if you'll drop to Free in the future.

Last edited by GarethB; 27th August 2010 at 9:12 PM.
Old 28th August 2010, 4:52 PM   #41
Fatal..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethB View Post
Danske, since you bought the game with real money, you'll start off as VIP because of the 30 days free play you get, then if you don't sign on for a monthly subscription fee you'll change to Premium. I don't know if you'll drop to Free in the future.
So is it better to buy the game, and get the 30 days free play, or just download it?
Old 28th August 2010, 8:00 PM   #42
lazjen

If you're just wanting to try it out, wait until Sept 10, d/l it and play for free.

At this point, I'm just glad that I bought lifetime and don't have to pay anything more. While I like LOTRO, I think this nickle and dime approach is just abysmal. I want to explore Middle Earth, not shop the bloody thing.
lazjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 10:07 AM   #43
danske91

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
If you're just wanting to try it out, wait until Sept 10, d/l it and play for free.

At this point, I'm just glad that I bought lifetime and don't have to pay anything more. While I like LOTRO, I think this nickle and dime approach is just abysmal. I want to explore Middle Earth, not shop the bloody thing.
agreed, hopefully free to play doesn't flood the game with young kids
danske91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 3:57 PM   #44
Lothar

What servers you fellas mostly on. I have a 50 champ I am looking to play with on Arkenstone still?
Lothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 4:57 PM   #45
Raptor_Eye

Quote:
What servers you fellas mostly on. I have a 50 champ I am looking to play with on Arkenstone still?
i think elindilmer (sp?) is the main "aussie" server thats where my lvl 46 i think champ is.

what are some good aussie clans on there now days?