Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 13th August 2010, 7:17 AM   #1
Philll Thread Starter
(Taking a Break)

Default Bioshock Infinite

Announcement

Quote:
2K Games And Irrational Games have announced BioShock Infinite, the next chapter in the BioShock franchise. Set in 1912, BioShock Infinite introduces an entirely new narrative experience that lifts players out of the familiar confines of Rapture and rockets them to Columbia, an immense city in the sky. BioShock Infinite is currently planned for release during calendar 2012.
Quote:
Originally conceived as a floating symbol of American ideals at a time when the United States was emerging as a world power, Columbia is dispatched to distant shores with great fanfare by a captivated public. What begins as a brand new endeavor of hope turns drastically wrong as the city soon disappears into the clouds to whereabouts unknown.

The player assumes the role of former Pinkerton agent Booker DeWitt, sent to the lost city to rescue Elizabeth, a young woman imprisoned there since childhood. He develops a relationship with Elizabeth, augmenting his abilities with hers so the pair may escape from a city that is literally falling from the sky. DeWitt must learn to fight foes in high-speed Sky-Line battles, engage in combat both indoors and amongst the clouds, and harness the power of dozens of new weapons and abilities.

“We are excited to expand the world of BioShock, which is one of the industry’s most critically acclaimed and beloved franchises,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “We believe that Irrational Games will lend their meticulous attention to detail and unique storytelling expertise to make BioShock Infinite an incredible entertainment experience that will immerse new and diehard fans of BioShock alike.”

With the original BioShock, Irrational Games won “Game of the Year” awards from Game Informer, IGN, G4’s X-Play, and BAFTA and redefined what players expect from a first-person shooter. “But when it came to begin work on BioShock Infinite," said Ken Levine, creative director of Irrational Games, "we only had one rule: No sacred cows. This game is both true to what people love about the series and unafraid to question every assumption."

Levine continued, "In order to explore the floating city of Columbia, we needed an entirely new engine. To bring Elizabeth to life, we had to build brand-new animation and AI systems. To create wide-ranging indoor and outdoor firefights at 30,000 feet, we had to rethink, rebuild and expand the BioShock arsenal. The only thing gamers can be certain of is this: the rules of the BioShock universe are about to change."
Update from Ken Levine:

Quote:
Keeping secrets is hard.

The last three years for me have been dominated by a single question: “What are you guys doing there?”

Some of you were pretty certain it was an X-COM game, which I can now safely say it is not. It is also not part of the Freedom Force, SWAT, X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter, Kingdom Hearts or Yar’s Revenge franchises. The time for discussing what Irrational Games is NOT doing is over.

Today we announce BioShock Infinite.

That’s right, this is a BioShock game.

It’s a sequel.

But it’s also not a sequel.

Let me explain.

At Irrational Games, we believe that in order to fulfill expectations, you have to defy expectations.

When we completed the original BioShock, we felt we had said all we wanted to say with Rapture, but we weren’t done with the idea that is BioShock. BioShock is so much more than a story of a single place or a single time. We had so much more we wanted to say.

There are two core principles for us that define a BioShock game. First, it has to be set in a world that is both fantastical and yet also grounded in the human experience. Second, it has to provide gamers with a large set of tools, and then set them loose in an environment that empowers them to solve problems in their own way.

It would have been easier for us to go back to the well. We could have taken the easy route. We could have simply done more of the same, but we would not have been true to ourselves as game developers. Making the original BioShock was hard. We challenged ourselves every step of the way, and we tossed aside many elements and ideas simply because they weren’t good enough.

So when we started the sequel, we said to ourselves: “We want to expand on those core principles, but beyond that, there are no sacred cows. Everything else that people know or think they know about BioShock is open for negotiation.”

You will find yourself in a completely new world. Columbia is not an unknown secret city at the bottom of the sea. It’s a creation of an America transforming from a regional agrarian collection of states into a world power with global reach.

You now play an actual character, and not a cypher who is unaware of his own identity. You are Booker Dewitt, a particular character with an established history, with a voice you will hear as he talks to himself and others in the game.

You’ve come to Columbia for a reason: to find a mysterious young woman named Elizabeth and bring her safely out of the city. She will travel with you, interact with you, and react to the situations you cause to happen, and through your relationship with her, we’re able to tell the story of this new and amazing world.

This world of Columbia presents radical differences in scale from what you are used to. You’re not crawling through corridors on the ocean floor, claustrophobic with the weight of the ocean bearing down on you. Instead you find yourself navigating through huge environments, zipping around on Sky-Lines at eighty miles per hour and getting into firefights at ranges of two thousand yards.

In fact, there is so much new and radical about BioShock Infinite that we simply can’t tell you all about it in one revelation. What we present to the world today is merely the tip of a very large iceberg. In the coming months we’ll begin to reveal more of what BioShock Infinite is all about and let the world know why we are so excited.

For now, we want to thank you all for your patience, and for sticking with us all these many months while we labored in silence.The time for silence is over. First up for the fans of this site is another episode of Irrational Behavior with Shawn Elliott that covers the announcement of BioShock Infinite and the work that led up to it. I’m sure you’ll dig it.

Down the road a bit, actual gameplay footage awaits. It’s something you’re going to want to watch more than once. Trust me on this one.
Synopsis

Quote:
BioShock Infinite is a first-person shooter currently in development at Irrational Games, the studio behind the original BioShock (which sold over 4 million units worldwide). Set in 1912, BioShock Infinite introduces an entirely new narrative and gameplay experience that lifts players out of the familiar confines of Rapture and rockets them to Columbia, an immense city in the sky.

Former Pinkerton agent Booker DeWitt has been sent to rescue Elizabeth, a young woman imprisoned in Columbia since childhood. Booker develops a relationship with Elizabeth, augmenting his abilities with hers so the pair may escape from a city that is literally falling from the sky. DeWitt must learn to fight foes in high-speed Sky-Line battles, engage in combat both indoors and amongst the clouds, and harness the power of dozens of new weapons and abilities.

Last edited by Philll; 19th January 2012 at 11:35 PM.
Philll is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 13th August 2010, 7:35 AM   #2
DiGiTaL MoNkEY
Inverted Monkey

The trailers looks fantastic, can't wait!
DiGiTaL MoNkEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 8:49 AM   #3
angel Havoc

Yes please!
[Logitech 'G' Owners Club Member #179] || OCAU MetaL Club Member #219 || OCAU Emergency Service's club member #343
Quote:
23:50 - nem: if anyone wants to shag on my grave i'd say go for it
23:51 - nem: nearest i'll get to action
angel Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 8:54 AM   #4
gregpolk

Looks pretty cool. Rapture was a great environment but I'm glad to see them not beating that horse until it dies then beating it some more. Columbia looks a bit corny, but so was an underwater city.
gregpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 8:59 AM   #5
Broden

Ugh. Not another one...

It's a shame Irrational are just another company willing to milk a good series.
Broden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 9:00 AM   #6
almostsane

very nice... i look forward to it...
My Rig: AMD PhenomII x6 1090T | AsRock 890FX Deluxe 3 MoBo | 4 GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 RAM | G.Skill Phoenix Pro 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Green HDD | Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD5870 SOC Edition | Corsair Hydro Series H50 CPU Cooler in Push/Pull | BenQ 24x DVD RW | CoolerMaster CM 690II Advanced Case | BenQ G2420HD 24" Monitor | Logitech Mk700 Wireless KB/M|
I respect that everyone is entitled to thier own opinions, even if those opinions happen to be wrong.
almostsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 9:08 AM   #7
awaken

ooo looks nice now i better go finish #2
battle.net -monks#1208
[Logitech 'G' Owners Club Member #84]

awaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 9:20 AM   #8
kreegor

Trailer looks great! Pity the game will suck like the first 2 did
kreegor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 9:22 AM   #9
DiGiTaL MoNkEY
Inverted Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broden View Post
Ugh. Not another one...

Well if there is money to be made, and a story to be told, they will keep pushing it I like the floating city concept.

Last edited by DiGiTaL MoNkEY; 13th August 2010 at 9:40 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 13th August 2010, 9:26 AM   #10
Philll Thread Starter
(Taking a Break)

Needed a new name is my only gripe so far

System = space, Bio was under water, maybe they thought not as many sheep would recognize it if they called it something else.
Philll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 9:31 AM   #11
DiGiTaL MoNkEY
Inverted Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philll View Post

System = space, Bio was under water, maybe they thought not as many sheep would recognize it if they called it something else.
I guess same would go for the Call of Duty Branding. While not in the same league, it was a similar issue with naming it Modern Warfare 2, or Call of duty: Modern Warfare 2 to make sure people know one or the other.
Old 13th August 2010, 9:33 AM   #12
soulblade64

I must say, this game does look very sweet.

It'll be nice to play in some nice bright ****** areas, instead of the dark dimly lit corridors of Rapture... This way we'll be able to enjoy the scenery a bit better.

Also, I bet there will be an achievement for flinging people over the edge of the city.
OCAU MetaL Club Member #203 xbox live gamertag: soulblade64
Trades- More than I can remember
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo54 View Post
I would. But I would eat the other people before I ran out of supplies, therefore quadrupling my food supply, and allowing me to live for ever, as cannibal king of mars.
soulblade64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 9:36 AM   #13
Rii
(Banned or Deleted)

Well, this just shot right to the top of my 'most wanted' list. Horrific title, though. Apparently there's an in-universe reason for it, but I doubt it'll compensate for its sheer awfulness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broden View Post
Ugh. Not another one...

Did you even watch the trailer?
Rii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 9:39 AM   #14
Broden

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiGiTaL MoNkEY View Post
Well if there is money to be made, and a story to be told, they will keep pushing it
2D Boy could have made a huge amount from WoG2, but they did not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rii View Post

Did you even watch the trailer?
No
Broden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 10:08 AM   #15
gregpolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philll View Post

I was thinking more bio = genetics, tonics and so on, rather than underwater. If it maintains that then the name makes sense. If not then it's rather silly. I agree though that a 'something else'shock may have been nicer but you can understand why they didn't do it. Got to keep that brand recognition.

I'm more confused by the Infinite. Why not call it Bioshock: Columbia, or if you're going to call it Infinite why not name the city Infinite so it's instantly recognisable why you've gone for that name? I'm glad though that they didn't just do the lazy way out and call it Bioshock 3.
gregpolk is offline   Reply With Quote