Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Geek Food > Geek Recipes

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 3rd February 2011, 12:59 PM   #61
Active Snail

Simple coke ribs BBQ'd and basted with BBQ sauce, yum.

Southampton FC - Come on Saints!!! >>> Diablo 3 - BIGT#1809

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hater View Post
This thread is painful. Just stock up on hentai and forget about it, seriously.
Active Snail is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 18th November 2011, 8:59 AM   #62
hosh0

What would be the cook times if I awnted to mix the meats up and had say some lamb and beef ribs as well as pork?

In God we trust, all others we virus scan.
hosh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 12:23 PM   #63
Active Snail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosh0 View Post
What would be the cook times if I awnted to mix the meats up and had say some lamb and beef ribs as well as pork?
Depends on the thickness of the meat. Beef ribs have huge bones and some chunky bits but generally arent too much bigger than pork ribs. Lambs are obviously tiny so you'll just have to adjust the time at which you add the meats. Put the biggest bits in first and add the smaller bits as you go.

With my method, marinate the meat for 24 hours with spices and coke, then cook covered in foil in the oven for about 2.5-3 hours at 200 degrees. So start the beef ribs about half an early and the lamb about half an hour late. Grill on the BBQ and brush with the left over baking tray juices (the coke and meat broth will caramelise during grilling and give it a hardened outside and moist, tender inside) then finish off by brushing on your favourite BBQ sauce blend.
Active Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 12:59 AM   #64
CHiMPY Thread Starter

Default Ribs 3.0

Those of you who read the first post in this thread might remember my friend Vlad

Vlad recently spend some time in south america eating south american style BBQ for around 10 months.
When he came back, I had told him about my adventures with ribs while he had been away. To him this mean "I am going to cook ribs", so since I had some free time this week/weekend I decided what the hell.

Once again I have to thank amazingribs.com for the inspiration for the sauce and dry rub. They turned out slightly different this time, but still delicious when cooked on some baby back ribs.

Once again, our cooking method of choice was the Webber kettle that Vlad owns.

Instead of using the cooking method suggested on amazingribs.com that we used last time (i think it was a little hot personally) I opted to try the snake method I saw mentioned in the pulled pork thread.

You can't really see the heat beads, but they are arranged in a nice semi circle around the more open side of the grill.
The foil packet contains some hickory wood chips to add extra flavour to the smoke (it worked quite nicely).

Once we got the fire going we put the ribs on the grill and sat down and enjoyed some beer and general shit talking.

After around 3 hours the ribs passed the bend test and were ready to be eaten.
One last thing to do, crank up some heat and get some sauce cooked into them.

Sauced up and ready to hit the grill one last time.

After about 5 minutes or so they were smelling far too good to let them sit any longer so I pulled them off the bbq.

Final product, ready to eat.

You can see the nice pink smoke ring around the outside of the meat.

The sauce went a little crispy thanks to the sugar and the flavours were quite incredible.
There was a smokey flavour to the meat thanks to the use of the webber and the addition of the wood chips.
The meat was tender but had good texture in the mouth, it required little effort to remove the meat from the bone and the ribs could be pulled apart if required.
Unlike most ribs served as restaurants though, these do not have a soft almost mushy texture when eaten. There is some chew to the meat and I really enjoyed it.

Overall I would say these were an improvement over the last batch I cooked, partly because of the use of the webber but also I think the textured was a little better also.

Even better news? Since I went a little crazy and bought 10 racks of ribs and we only ate 4 today I have plenty more to play with later this week I might try a new sauce.

ps. No dog shots this time because we were "on location" so to speak.
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:36 PM   #65
pugsley

Hot damn those ribs look damn near perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damn duck View Post
Why is it so easy to get "rational" people to fight one another over the most meaningless shit?
pugsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 6:06 PM   #66
CHiMPY Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsley View Post
Hot damn those ribs look damn near perfect.
Honestly, they were. Or at least as close to it as I have ever tasted.

Even if I do say so myself.
Old 7th February 2012, 6:12 PM   #67
shadowman

Not to thread hijack, but ribs recipes are pretty common here on OCAU (us geeks love ribs), I reckon we almost need a sticky for all the rib info, I'm always having to search (I know, bookmarks are so 1995), but I always remember an awesome recipe I saw but can't remember who, then have to trawl several threads before I find it.

I had some awesome ribs in Memphis back in 2009, but they were of the dry rub kind, no sauces. Different, but awesome.

Last edited by shadowman; 7th February 2012 at 6:21 PM.
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 4:27 PM   #68
AEKaBeer

I'm going to be making ribs tonight, my first time with large pork ribs. Is there a fast way to cook them ie 1.5 hours? I really don't want them taking 3hours since it'll be 9:30-10pm before anyone gets to have dinner at that point.
Old 22nd February 2012, 12:57 PM   #69
AEKaBeer

Got them made in roughly 90minutes came out really nice, I'd have liked some more BBQ sauce but the missus and the in-laws all said there was plenty of sauce. Overall really happy with the experience, now to find a cheaper place to get ribs, $45 on meat was too much dosh for a home cooked meal and zero left overs for me to enjoy the next day
Old 2nd April 2012, 11:26 AM   #70
brad81

Vic Market - in the meat section there is a butcher (funny that) about halfway down in the middle, western side, almost directly opposite the entry way to the deli section.

I got my ribs from those guys for about $16p/kg. I don't tend to go there very often so I got a few kilos to freeze in about 1kg bags. Works out well dollar wise.

Made these again over the weekend using Chimpys recipe from the OP, with about half the cayenne. They are as usual, amazing. My brother got me a smoke box about a year ago and this is the first time I've used it. Cannot recommend it highly enough. I've had a few times where the foil burns out on the bottom of the chips and ends without enough smoke getting into the ribs.

HTPC: XFX680i-ISH9, XFX9800GT, 8GB DDR2 800mhz, Q6600 @ 3.0, Silverstone 500W, Silverstone FT02, Noctua NH-U12P, WD Raptor 80GB, Auzentech X-Fi Prelude, Z5500
Main: ASUSHD6950, Corsair Vengeance 8GB, i52500k @ 4.1, Noctua NH-U9B SE2, BitFenix Survivor, OCZ Vertex 2 120GB, GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
brad81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:05 PM   #71
ddk
(Banned or Deleted)

So... I'm waiting... where's my invite?
ddk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2012, 5:07 PM   #72
brad81

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk View Post
So... I'm waiting... where's my invite?
Left it at said butcher, should cost you about $20ish all up

HTPC: XFX680i-ISH9, XFX9800GT, 8GB DDR2 800mhz, Q6600 @ 3.0, Silverstone 500W, Silverstone FT02, Noctua NH-U12P, WD Raptor 80GB, Auzentech X-Fi Prelude, Z5500
Main: ASUSHD6950, Corsair Vengeance 8GB, i52500k @ 4.1, Noctua NH-U9B SE2, BitFenix Survivor, OCZ Vertex 2 120GB, GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
Old 4th April 2012, 11:06 PM   #73
PabloEscobar

I'm not a fan of recipies that are not from base foods.

I've just finished reading this thread, and have a hankering for something Ribbed, For my Pleasure.

but looking at at

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_s...BBQ_sauce.html

I see it asking for things like Ketchup, Steak Sauce and yellow ballpark-style mustard. These things are subjective. I know I can click on them to get an americanised explanation of what I should be buying, but that does not help me make a shopping list

I'd appreciate if someone could post up their KC Sauce recipe, complete with Brands etc, that I would find in My local supermarket so that I can make an Australian shopping list and have me some Saucy Ribbed goodness over easter.
PabloEscobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 8:32 AM   #74
brad81

I have made that same sauce without the molasses simply because I couldn't find any.

The ballpark mustard, I used the Masterfoods American mustard.
Steak sauce, again a Masterfoods one
Hot sauce, Tobasco

Everything else there is at your local Coles/Woolies.

The smell brought a bit of a sting to my nose, but it's quite nice.

If you can, I'd recommend mincing the onions, or maybe even try using shallots instead.

Old 5th April 2012, 11:05 AM   #75
PabloEscobar

And which brand of Ketchup?
PabloEscobar is offline   Reply With Quote