Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 20th October 2010, 6:41 PM   #1
snake86 Thread Starter

Default Is it illegal to crate a dog?

I got a knock on the door from the RSPCA today...Apparently they don't like the fact that I crate my dog (a german shepherd) even though I take it for lots of walks (8-10 a day), keep it in the front yard when its sunny and keep it nice and healthy.

The dog is mainly crated overnight when I am sleeping and stays in there for roughly 4-6 hours a day. I keep the dog inside as all my neighbours smoke and my previous dog died prematurely from cancer possibly from all the passive smoke it has inhaled.

Now, the RSPCA is threatening to take him away from me unless I put him outside ignoring the fact that I take very good care of him and that he is not in the crate for very long.

Is it really illegal to crate my dog?
snake86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 20th October 2010, 6:51 PM   #2
HeXa

crate as in "wire cage not much bigger than the dog" or "indoor dog mcmansion"?
HeXa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 7:04 PM   #3
$qwuzzy

Pics probably required...
$qwuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 7:10 PM   #4
snake86 Thread Starter

So it is? I really love my dog and no way do I want it to be taken away. I want to know my rights and not just give into these RSPCA guys who have nothing better to do then to harass my family.
Old 20th October 2010, 7:51 PM   #5
scottyboy5588

I'm pretty sure crating a dog isn't illegal otherwise I know alot of people who would get in the shit for crating their dogs at night or when the house is empty.
How big is the crate itslef? Has he got room enough to turn around/lay down/stand up?
Maybe RSPCA came around cause someone thought that the crate was too small?
scottyboy5588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 7:52 PM   #6
millhouse

Off the top of my head it is not per se illegal. It may fall under some vague "cruelty" issue. I would specifically ask to see the legislation or guidelines they are going to use against you. They should be able to provide that to you so as you can better treat your dog. If the local branch or officers are dicks, then get advice from a state office.
Old 20th October 2010, 7:55 PM   #7
lethoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake86 View Post
I keep the dog inside as all my neighbours smoke and my previous dog died prematurely from cancer possibly from all the passive smoke it has inhaled.
That's a little bit crazy.

RSPCA probably came around cos you're neighbours think you're a weirdo who keeps his dog in a box.
Old 20th October 2010, 8:01 PM   #8
yucatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethoso View Post
That's a little bit crazy.

RSPCA probably came around cos you're neighbours think you're a weirdo who keeps his dog in a box.
...and they'd be right, but it's no different to training your dog to hang out in a doghouse.
yucatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 8:24 PM   #9
craz3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by yucatan View Post
...and they'd be right, but it's no different to training your dog to hang out in a doghouse.
except the one in the doghouse can walk aroudn in the yard..

would you like to be kept in a caged box for 6 hours a day, with no fresh air?
craz3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 8:35 PM   #10
RhysG

But if everyone's smoking then there wouldn't be any fresh air .
RhysG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 8:39 PM   #11
craz3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysG View Post
But if everyone's smoking then there wouldn't be any fresh air .
What sort of housing do you live in?

If you have a yard big enough for a german shepherd, neighbors smoking isnt going to cause any more problems than a car driving past your house..
craz3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 9:00 PM   #12
Cererus

How do the neighbours know you crate the dog if you keep it inside so it doesn't die from passive smoking? (highly unlikely your old dogs cancer was because of this)
Maybe there are other issues they perceive is bad treatment of your dog or they just hate you.

Could never understand the idea of crating, you should never lock a dog in the house unattended, if you don't have a secure backyard you shouldn't have a dog.

I've had 3 dogs over the last 25 years, they all got a personal space to sleep in which I wouldn't go to if they were there,
if they were being annoying like hanging round the kitchen while preparing our dinner a command would get them to go to their bed and wait.

[QUOTE=Mitch01
] I speak from experience when I say rolling your car 5 times into a creek, or spinning at 100kph into a guard rail are truly pants shitting moments.
Cererus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 9:26 PM   #13
ricky60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cererus View Post
you should never lock a dog in the house unattended, if you don't have a secure backyard you shouldn't have a dog.
I have a secure backyard, which I'm happy to keep my dog in, however my neighbours beat the fence (literally come out of their house) if she barks even once. Unfortunately, after complaints from council (without the neighbours directly talking to us first), we just don't want the hassle, so we keep our dog inside more often. (before people tell us we should treat the barking, we have actually filmed her while we are away, and she barks less than 1 minute per hour...well within acceptable, but our neighbours demand silence, and we don't really want the neighbour situation to get any worse).

To be honest, she isn't happy being outside if it's wet or cold.

What I don't like is people tying their dogs up under the house where they can't walk around, or putting them in wire cages where they can't get enough shade or a place to run. It's far more cruel the people who buy a dog, put it in the backyard, don't walk it, and don't spend any time with it.

In regards to the OP, the ambiguity of the thread means noone can really comment - pics of the "crate" and then we'll have a debate over whether it's cruel.

Last edited by ricky60; 20th October 2010 at 9:29 PM.
ricky60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 9:58 PM   #14
snake86 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. It wasn't the neighbours who dobbed me in but the mailman...he was delivering a package and saw the dog in its cage. He could have at least spoken to me but he dobbed me in behind my back. Btw, the dog room to move in the crate and a fair bit of clearance when hes sitting down.
Old 20th October 2010, 10:04 PM   #15
TERRA Operative

I thought mailmen hated dogs???
TERRA Operative is offline   Reply With Quote