Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 30th November 2010, 7:44 PM   #1
n2o Thread Starter

Default Magpies as a pet ?

I remember years ago on here reading of a member who adopted a magpie chick, i'm wondering if they can be kept as pets or if anyone actually breeds them ?

I love their songs and intelligence but worried that they may not like being kept in a cage like cockatoos
n2o is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 30th November 2010, 8:04 PM   #2
kombiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2o View Post
I remember years ago on here reading of a member who adopted a magpie chick, i'm wondering if they can be kept as pets or if anyone actually breeds them ?

I love their songs and intelligence but worried that they may not like being kept in a cage like cockatoos

I had a magpie 'pet' for a few years. Had a broken wing and hung out real close initially to get away from the other local bullying ones who wanted the turf. I fed it a little to keep it going at first, then a bit more as it survived and healed and worked out it's version of flying. Then less and then only snacks as it came and said hello and hung out. They are really smart. It would happily come inside and sit on the edge of the kitchen until I fed it. It would hang out right under my deck where the other magpies couldn't find it until I got home. It runed the roost with my dog at the time (kelpie) and would hang out on my foot if I sat on the deck with my legs on the rail.

I didn't consider it a pet, I gave it help when it needed and it weirdly was really tame with me. I do have the critter gene though and am really good with animals, kids and mad people I have since moved from that house and it was surviving well by then with only snack food from me as scooby snacks and affection, I would read etc and it would sit next to me and have a snack then snooze... I missed him when I left as Im sure he did too.

As for a pet type pet? I hate seeing birds in cages. If it was giving a damaged bird a home? Im ok with that

$0.02 inc GST
Old 30th November 2010, 8:11 PM   #3
n2o Thread Starter

was it you who posted pics of it flying through your home and getting fed and stuff ?

yeah, i don't want to really keep it in a cage since they're rather vocal and intelligent

Last edited by n2o; 30th November 2010 at 8:14 PM.
Old 30th November 2010, 8:30 PM   #4
Joehax

Reminds me of a recipe somebody posted in the Geek Food section, and had a picture of magpies looking through the window.
My Flickr || BF3: Sph1nx0 || BattleTag: Joehax#1719
[Successful trades: whisky, pumbertot, ANTH101, jutty, gm:fx, drewfus, Wojee, Foolio, Son Gokou, carny, xpantz, 123realtalk, commando, DavidP2190, staden, laidlow, sallz0r, Mr Dolby, kraniX, azkgtr, aokman, $tealthFiga, matttai, Hazardous1]
Joehax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2010, 8:33 PM   #5
kombiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2o View Post
was it you who posted pics of it flying through your home and getting fed and stuff ?

yeah, i don't want to really keep it in a cage since they're rather vocal and intelligent
nope, pre digital
Old 30th November 2010, 8:57 PM   #6
akashra

Differs state to state. In Vic they're a protected species. Not legal to own as a pet, or trap without a license.
Old 1st December 2010, 2:41 PM   #7
AngelMoo

Mum has a family of magpies, she started feeding them years ago and now they bring all their babies down. Those birds are so shifty, once I watched some babies eating something off the ground by themselves until their parent came, then they demanded to be fed! Another time they were eating some old bird seed or bread or something and then they saw Mum come into the kitchen, stopped and flew up to the back door... she buys mince meat for them.

My grandma had one that would come inside, Mum's don't because we've got a cat but I'm sure it would be pretty easy to tame one, just keep feeding it.
AngelMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 2:57 PM   #8
Scorpion1080

I found a baby that fell out of it's nest and was mostly bald. We raised it up and it would play dead to get attention. Laying on it's stomach with wings spread open, not moving. It would also roll onto it's back and try kick you.

You would whistle and it would come flying to you. Oh. It would try and sit on your bike handle bars when you went for a ride.

We took it outside more and more as it got older. After 2 years it was willing to sleep outside and by the 3rd year mark would spend all it's time outside flying around, coming when you whistled.

It ended up becoming a wild pet. It had babies and after the 5year mark. We had close to 16 magpies that thought it was ok to walk into the house to get food if they were too lazy to find any.
Old 1st December 2010, 8:18 PM   #9
n2o Thread Starter

lol, great stories
Old 1st December 2010, 8:38 PM   #10
pugsley

They make good outside companions, i'm not sure i would keep one inside though. They deserve to be out and about. We started off with a mother and youngster. We arrived at a place with a bit of land and started throwing scraps out when they came along. Pretty soon they knew when feeding time was and would come and hang out. The years passed and the youngster grew up to be a mother herself. She brought her youngsters in and they became very tame, eating out of our hands with no qualms (But no one elses, they only trusted our family)

Being close with the magpies had its advantages too. We were on 3 acres of cleared land so it was ideal Plover nesting area. They nested in our front paddock one year and took a swipe at my sister as she was walking home from the bus. The maggie family came out of nowhere and pounded the plover for a good 5 minutes. Never swooped any of us again.

It was sad to leave them when we moved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damn duck View Post
Why is it so easy to get "rational" people to fight one another over the most meaningless shit?
pugsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 10:02 PM   #11
dish-oh

For the last 5/6/7? years we have had a Magpie nest outside the lounge window, so we would watch them raise their young. Gradually they got to know the sound of the sliding door opening as they knew it meant food scraps.

Probably about 4 years ago there was a runty little one that would always hang around waiting for scraps, gave him the name Skinny. He got pretty tame as we gave him some extra scraps and meat to try and fatten him up over the months. Eventually he learnt that when he tapped on the door with his beak he would get things I'd come into the lounge in the morning and hear a 'tap, tap, tap' open the curtain and he'd hop a few metres back and wait.

One day I left the door open and he came in and shit on our brand new carpet THE DAY AFTER it was put in when I was home alone, leaving me practically shitting myself as I had no idea how best to get the runny surprise off...

There's now a couple gangs of Magpies on the property, and in the mornings they congregate on our Sulphur Crested Cockatoo's cage in the hope that its food gets left close enough to the edges of the cage to grab

I also seem to recall my parents raising one when I was little but can't remember much at all about it. Very smart birds.
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:56 AM   #12
SuiCid3

Magpies are smart little shits