Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Extreme and Water Cooling

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 3rd September 2012, 12:14 PM   #1
BelowAverageIQ Thread Starter

Default Help, Thoughts and Idea's Please

G'Day Crew,

I was hoping I could ask for your help and assistance with my cooling issues.

System Specs are:

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH motherboard
Intel 3770K
Crucial M4 256Gb SSD
Gigabyte GTX690 graphics
Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400Mhz DDR3
Corsair AX750 PSU
Corsair H100 cooler
Corsair 600T case

(Yes I appreciate I am a Corsair biatch)

The Corsair H100 is not really up to the task of cooling my hotter than average 3770K. Idle temps at stock with "speedstep" 1.6Ghz are 32 degrees and at 3.9Ghz running P95 are 68 degrees. I was overclocking to 4.4Ghz and getting 75 degrees at load.

My GTX690 idles at 32 degrees and reaches 80 degrees at load with furmark or aida64.

The 600T case has a corsair 200mm fan in front as inlet, 1 x 120mm fan at rear as exhaust and 2 x 120mm fans on top as inlet for the H100 radiator.

I just sent email to The Koolroom crew regarding the following setup.

XSPC D5 pump and res.

240 or 360 thin rad for top of 600T (360 rad can slot into top drive bay but only 2 x 120mm fans as inlet)

Phobya Xtreme 200mm rad.

XSPC Raystorm CPU water block

Koolance VID-NX690 GPU water block

The Corsair 600T case has very little room for the 240/360 rad up top due to the proximity of the motherboard. It only allows a push config. I have removed the very front lower drive bays for better airflow from the front 200mm fan.

I would prefer a simple closed loop easy to install system, hence the reason why I purchased the H100. I have removed and installed it too many times to remember to try and get it to make better contact with the CPU, but cant get it to cool the 3770K effectively.

Your thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Rob.

P.S. I had to take the GTX690 and 3770 back to stock as I was getting artifacting and BSOD's and it is not even summer yet.
BelowAverageIQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 3rd September 2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Carcin0Genic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelowAverageIQ View Post
P.S. I had to take the GTX690 and 3770 back to stock as I was getting artifacting and BSOD's and it is not even summer yet.
Artifacting of the gpu and bsod of the cpu (or gpu), are caused by bad overclocks, not heat.
Unless your going past the 100 degress mark, even then, the computer will just shutdown, not bsod.
I would also suggest you ask more direct questions, otherwise the people in the know probs won't come to the rescue.
Carcin0Genic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 12:39 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Carcin0Genic.

I appreciate that the artifacting and BSOD's are from bad overclocks, but if I cant get the stable because they are "too" hot, then I have an issue

The the setup I was looking at buying as posted above:

1. Will it fit in 600T and 2. Will it be capable of decent cooling for the 3770K and GTX690?

Otherwise any other recommandations appreciated. The Koolroom seem to be out of the RayStorm CPU block and Phobya 200mm Rad, sigh.

Cheers,

Rob

Last edited by BelowAverageIQ; 3rd September 2012 at 1:39 PM.
Old 4th September 2012, 9:16 AM   #4

Carcin0Genic I think you are right, no other replies except yours so a BIG thank you to you

I decided on the following:

XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 Cooling Kit
Phobya Xtreme 200mm rad
XSPC RAzor GTX690 Block
PrimoChill 3/8ID Tubing
Enzotech 3/8 compression fittings

Can "only" really use the EX240 rad on top of the 600T case, so decided to also purchase the Phobya rad to support it. All components on the one loop.

1 x 200mm fan as inlet at front push config for Phobya rad.

2 x 120mm fans as inlet at top for push config for EX240 rad.

1 x 120mm fan at rear for exhaust.

I hope that it will be enough positve pressure and a means to cool the case inside.

The last time I used a custom water loop was 7 years ago. I am not entirely clear on how to go about putting it together yet, especially the leak/pressure test as the motherboard and GTX690 will have to be in place to run??

Thank you for reading.

Cheers,

Rob
Old 4th September 2012, 9:53 AM   #5
Huggy_Bear64

Oh come on, you can make a 360 rad fit in there. Don't be afraid to use the dremel. I reckon with just a slim 240 and the 200 you aren't going to see a huge improvement in temps...

As for leak testing, you just need to unplug everything except the pump, then use a paperclip to short the PSU 'on' wire (Google will help).

But really, there's nothing wrong with the temps you posted, I can't see why you think the h100 is inadequate

Also make sure you match OD of tube and comps as well as ID.
Old 4th September 2012, 12:09 PM   #6
bazzel001

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdoW6LFOOd8&feature=plcp

Worth a watch, i did this to my 600T and have the 360 in the roof and the Phobya 200 in the front with Push/pull.

Just be aware you will likely need to remove some bracing from your top grill as it will hit the fans and stop the grill from clicking in place.

bazzel001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 12:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggy_Bear64 View Post
Oh come on, you can make a 360 rad fit in there. Don't be afraid to use the dremel. I reckon with just a slim 240 and the 200 you aren't going to see a huge improvement in temps...

As for leak testing, you just need to unplug everything except the pump, then use a paperclip to short the PSU 'on' wire (Google will help).

But really, there's nothing wrong with the temps you posted, I can't see why you think the h100 is inadequate

Also make sure you match OD of tube and comps as well as ID.

Huggy_Bear64,

No dont tell me that Surely 440mm worth of RAD has to be able to cool better than a slim H100??

I am not looking at breaking any WC records, just want nice load temps that will allow the 3770K to run 4.5 stable and the GTX690 to run sub 65 degrees overclocked mildly.

Suppose my own fault, ordered it all and it is on its way............ should have waited for more input.

Cheers,

Rob

Last edited by BelowAverageIQ; 4th September 2012 at 3:27 PM.
Old 4th September 2012, 12:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzel001 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdoW6LFOOd8&feature=plcp

Worth a watch, i did this to my 600T and have the 360 in the roof and the Phobya 200 in the front with Push/pull.

Just be aware you will likely need to remove some bracing from your top grill as it will hit the fans and stop the grill from clicking in place.

bazzel001,

Thank you for the vid, appreciate it. Dont really want to cut the case. As you know the top of the case only allows for a thin rad like the EX series. I thought about the 360, but with only 2 x 120mm fans passing through air, would that work?

How did you mount the 200mm rad, the "right" way up by cutting out the bottom of your 5 1/4 drive bays or with the barbs at the bottom??

Cheers,

Rob
Old 4th September 2012, 1:53 PM   #9
Carcin0Genic

Check out the vid, he does it all in there.
With the 690, did you make a custom fan profile in precision x or afterburner? It will make a huge difference.
Old 4th September 2012, 2:22 PM   #10

Carcin0Genic,

Thanks for the reply Yep I watched the video, the guy makes me laugh (in a good way, so casual and relaxed). He mentioned the 200mm rad and possible issues with bleeding the system because the rad will be inverted due to mounting plate and upper drive bays. It has a bleed screw, but again will be "difficult" to get too??

I suppose I could always add another 120mm rad at the back if I need to??

I do use precision X and have a custom fan curve, but still peak at 78 degrees whilst gaming. Not extreme, but not happy either.

I have committed the $$$$ to the new setup, so I hope it is an improvement, otherwise it will make baby jesus cry

Cheers,

Rob

Last edited by BelowAverageIQ; 4th September 2012 at 3:27 PM. Reason: speeeling!
Old 4th September 2012, 3:41 PM   #11
Carcin0Genic

If the red ports are at the bottom it will make it hard to bleed, but not impossible. If it has a bleed screw on the other end then great! Without seeing the case myself i couldn't any how it will fit. But with a dremel, almost anything is possible. You will need a drill to
Old 4th September 2012, 4:10 PM   #12

Thanks Mate. I hope it all works out, especially removing the cooler on the GTX690

This is sort of what I am looking at, except the lower 200mm rad will be the other way around:

http://www.techreaction.net/2010/11/...nal-dual-loop/

Using the same black tubing as well. Not too sure if I should get any Quick Disconnect fittings for the graphics card???

Just hope I dont balls it up

Cheers

Rob
Old 4th September 2012, 4:39 PM   #13
Rory K

I've done a similar loop in a 600T before, to mount the 200mm rad with the ports at the top you have to cut away some of the drive bays, but it's certainly doable.
Originally Posted by FarZK View Post
What's the point of going to the pub when you can get drunk on skype?
Rory K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 4:51 PM   #14
Huggy_Bear64

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelowAverageIQ View Post
Huggy_Bear64,

No dont tell me that Surely 440mm worth of RAD has to be able to cool better than a slim H100??

I am not looking at breaking any WC records, just want nice load temps that will allow the 3770K to run 4.5 stable and the GTX690 to run sub 65 degrees overclocked mildly.

Suppose my own fault, ordered it all and it is on its way............ should have waited for more input.

Cheers,

Rob
It would do a better job at cooling, but with that 690 you're adding a whole lot of extra heat load
Old 4th September 2012, 5:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggy_Bear64 View Post
It would do a better job at cooling, but with that 690 you're adding a whole lot of extra heat load
Huggy_Bear64,

You are right, the GTX690 will add a lot of heat into the system, but certainly want to add it in. If I add another 120mm rad into the loop at the rear of the case would it help or would the single D5 pump and Res now be the limit or lack of flowing air, even a single 120mm exhaust??

Cheers,

Rob