Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Networking, Telephony & Internet

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 13th January 2011, 3:26 PM   #1
Smokin Whale Thread Starter

Default WiFi bridge over 150m or so - possible?

Hey guys,

I'm looking at setting up a Wifi bridge for a friend who currently has two separate buildings 150m away from eachother, both with active phone connections. She wants to have internet access at both buildings if possible via WiFi.

This is the current satelite photo of her land. The building on the right is the house, while the other one on the left is the office. There is a bit of shrubbary and a small creek in between. As far as I'm aware, there is no power to that small building in between.

Is it possible to share an internet link in between these two buildings? What sort of equipment should I be after? Perhaps it would be better to go for some form of wired connection instead? Ideally I would like to do this as cheaply as possible. Will a couple of good DD-WRT routers sitting by windows with a powered directional antenna be enough to do the job?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
AMD K6-2 @ 568mhz, 768MB 66mhz SDRAM, Gigabyte GA-5AA Aladdin Socket 7, Nvidia TNT II PCI 16mb, 2x 20GB IBM Deskstars, Diamond Data IDE 40x CDROM, 56k PCI Modem, Beige Case with TURBO button, SB Live 5.1, Benq 24" 1920x1200 Widescreen, Wharfedale CS5 8" Bookshelfs + 1000w RMS custom built 15" sub, Windows XP Professional Over 25k of good trades!
[SHAW Case & PSU Owners Club Member #1]

Last edited by Smokin Whale; 13th January 2011 at 3:47 PM.
Smokin Whale is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 13th January 2011, 4:11 PM   #2
Mitch01

Budget?

You can do it cheapest, cheap, or bloody expensive. Depends on the budget.

If there was power to the shed and its on same grid even ethernet over power might work!

Wireless directional Cantenna (google that) would work with line of sight. Without line of sight, you could go omnidirectional external antenna, or a name brand (Cisco/Netgear) directional outdoor antenna.

The Netgear 9Dbi external antennas are supposidely good for a few kms line of sight.
Old 13th January 2011, 4:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch01 View Post
Budget?

You can do it cheapest, cheap, or bloody expensive. Depends on the budget.

If there was power to the shed and its on same grid even ethernet over power might work!

Wireless directional Cantenna (google that) would work with line of sight. Without line of sight, you could go omnidirectional external antenna, or a name brand (Cisco/Netgear) directional outdoor antenna.

The Netgear 9Dbi external antennas are supposidely good for a few kms line of sight.
Budget... would be cheapest. Less than $400 preferable. The house on the right already has a Netgear ADSL WiFi G modem. Line of sight is a bit of a problem, there are trees blocking the line of sight, so omnidirection might be the go.
AMD K6-2 @ 568mhz, 768MB 66mhz SDRAM, Gigabyte GA-5AA Aladdin Socket 7, Nvidia TNT II PCI 16mb, 2x 20GB IBM Deskstars, Diamond Data IDE 40x CDROM, 56k PCI Modem, Beige Case with TURBO button, SB Live 5.1, Benq 24" 1920x1200 Widescreen, Wharfedale CS5 8" Bookshelfs + 1000w RMS custom built 15" sub, Windows XP Professional Over 25k of good trades!

Last edited by Smokin Whale; 13th January 2011 at 8:01 PM.
Old 13th January 2011, 4:55 PM   #4
1shot1kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Whale View Post
Line of sight is a bit of a problem, there are trees blocking the line of sign, so omnidirection might be the go.
Omni-directional will be worse than directional with those trees in the way. You need directional antennas for this (Read this for why).

Last edited by 1shot1kill; 13th January 2011 at 4:58 PM.
1shot1kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 7:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shot1kill View Post
Omni-directional will be worse than directional with those trees in the way. You need directional antennas for this (Read this for why).
Ahh, very interesting, thanks for that link! I'll certainly do some googling on these cantennas, see what I can achieve.
Old 13th January 2011, 8:10 PM   #6
round

is that pool 10m wide?.....

assuming the pool is 4m wide, its no further then 80m.

wired could also be an option, there might already be conduit between the house and shed,

seeing they both have phone connections, follow the phone line if the powerline network is a no go.
environmentalism is a luxury you can afford when you live a very long way away from nature.....
round is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 10:01 PM   #7
benjagan91

Please keep us posted. Gigabit wired through the creek etc would be impressive as fuck haha. Actually even the wifi would impress me. This is some awesome shit
benjagan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 10:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjagan91 View Post
Please keep us posted. Gigabit wired through the creek etc would be impressive as fuck haha. Actually even the wifi would impress me. This is some awesome shit
I was thinking about that... but really she doesn't need gigabit . If it were, a simple solution would be to probably run 60m or so of cat7 to the the little building in between, run power in there somehow, then route it through a powered gigabit router to the office.

Seriously though, with the cash to burn, a fibre solution would work great. I used to work at a high school, and we used to have a farm which had computers in it - we ran fibre over 300m or so to connect it to the main switch, full gigabit speeds and all (in fact I think it was even 10GE ready).

I will look to go with a wireless solution as speed is not a necessity (still on ADSL1) and it will most likely work out to be cheaper and simpler (i'd need to get data cablers in to do the job legitimately).

Also, 150m is a conservative guess based on the measurements provided on google maps - I know it's about 80-90m from the very end points of the buildings in a straight line, but routers will be in the most eastern parts of the office on the left.

Last edited by Smokin Whale; 15th January 2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 13th January 2011, 10:43 PM   #9
beaco

wifi will cover the distance without an issue but I don't think it will work very well without line of sight just put the access point in a waterproof box mount it on a pole and put an antenna at the top of the pole. Keep antenna cable distances short. You should be able to do kilometres without a problem.
beaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 10:46 PM   #10
Jesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Whale View Post
Also, 150m is a conservative guess based on the measurements provided on google maps - I know it's about 80-90m from the very end points of the buildings in a straight line, but routers will be in the most eastern parts of the office on the left.
Try this for distance calculation http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-go...calculator.htm
Jesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 11:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesta View Post
Cheers for that. Very useful link!

Just did the calculation - 156 metres. Wasn't too far off! This again, was being concervative, basicily calculated by the centre of both houses.
Old 14th January 2011, 1:25 PM   #12
m0n4g3

How tall are the trees? You may just need to get a rather large antenna or something on each building, or cut/trim trees to get some LOS.

Ubiquiti networks do some pretty cheap point to point wireless stuff that does 120mbs over 3/4kms distance (tried and tested here at work ).
i5-2500k @ 4.5ghz with EK Supreme-HF | Asus Maximus 4 Gene-z Gen3 | Crossfire HIS 7970 with EK CU Blocks | G.Skill Ripjaws Z 2133CL11 | 120gb Vertex 3 | Xigmatek Elysium | Danger Den Monsoon D5 Dual Res bay, Koolance PMP-450 Pump | 2x XSPC RX360 Rads with 3xScythe Slipstream 1900rpm each | 3/8" Danger Den Black UV tubing | Red Monsoon Compression fittings
m0n4g3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 2:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0n4g3 View Post
How tall are the trees? You may just need to get a rather large antenna or something on each building, or cut/trim trees to get some LOS.

Ubiquiti networks do some pretty cheap point to point wireless stuff that does 120mbs over 3/4kms distance (tried and tested here at work ).
Trees are fairly tall... I think it's safe to say that I don't think she's going to want to chop much of it.
Old 14th January 2011, 2:14 PM   #14
C4Z4M

Check out the ubiquiti products their gear should work for your budget
C4Z4M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 3:22 PM   #15

OK Done a little research.

2x TP-Link TL-WR1043ND 300M W/less N Gigabit Routers with the DD-WRT firmware - has three antennas so it can be used omnidirectionally in the houses as well with two omnidirectional and one directional

http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products...id=6&sid=63424

$87 each

2x Directional antennas - $???