OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Geek Food

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 29th January 2011, 4:38 PM   #1
daveaus Thread Starter

Default Cooking kangaroo rare

Hi,

Is it safe to cook Kangaroo steaks rare?

As in this rare:

http://www.benjaminchristie.com/arti...-meat-properly

The first picture on that page seems very dodgy and I wouldn't do it but is cooking it similar to the 2nd picture ok? I know it would be fine with beef but Kangaroo?
daveaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 29th January 2011, 4:45 PM   #2
bl4ck32

yep, thats blue. Ive got mates who eat it like that, blood still swimming on the plate when cut.

Ive have various cuts though that were actually more tender from cooking a little longer, so its personal preference...I dont bag anyone for how they like to eat
Old 29th January 2011, 4:51 PM   #3
Mau1wurf1977

I can't see how it would turn out medium rare if you cook it for such a long time (3 to 5 minutes on each side) as per article...
Mau1wurf1977 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 5:06 PM   #4
Croc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mau1wurf1977 View Post
I can't see how it would turn out medium rare if you cook it for such a long time (3 to 5 minutes on each side) as per article...
sounds about right, typical size porterhouse steak cooked for 5min on both sides is just under well done with very little pink only visable at most thick spot so going by the size of cuts on that page 5min would give mid rare
also different heat, pan, number of stakes on the pan at once makes difference, just have to time it every time and aim for same size cuts so after few trys you can get it done just the way you like every time.

EDIT: as for how far you should cook skippy, http://www.awpc.org.au/kangaroos/boo...s/diseases.htm

Last edited by Croc; 29th January 2011 at 5:08 PM.
Croc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 5:09 PM   #5
Big Trev

I'm no expert, and have only had roo a few times, but I was under the impression that you could only have it rare. IIRC, because it's so low in fat, if it gets even close to medium, it's like eating shoe leather.

As for "safety", unless you're eating roadkill, it should be OK...

(edit) - eek, after reading Croc's link, maybe not...
Old 29th January 2011, 5:21 PM   #6
JohnnoD

As Trev said, it's fine. Rare is the best for kangaroo since it's so lean
JohnnoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 5:47 PM   #7
Goldminer

rare kangeroo?

Have anyone of you seen the bugs that swimming around when you cut them open?
Goldminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 5:59 PM   #8
Draco

Kangaroo is about the only red meat I eat now.
One big tip that I give out to anybody who'll listen though: don't cook it like beef steak.
Beef steak is cooked for a few mintues per side at a high temperature to render the fat. Kangaroo doesn't have any fat so you'll only make it tough. I have my cast iron pan at no more than one-third temperature and cook each side for about six to eight minutes. This often still leaves it at warm blue but, due to the slower cooking, it usually remains tender.

It's an outstanding meat. Everyone should give the roasts a shot. Can't beat the price at ~$10.50/kg for meat with virtually no fat. Oh and as an added bonus, hippies hate it
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 6:23 PM   #9
rbdirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldminer View Post
rare kangeroo?

Have anyone of you seen the bugs that swimming around when you cut them open?
Sort of agree with this. It's my understanding that most of the roo meat sold is slaughtered by some red neck in the middle of nowhere and not in a more controlled environment where beef might be raised and the livestock given vaccinations.

Quote:
I always recommend medium rare as the preferred doneness so if you like your meat well done, Id suggest you avoid kangaroo and stick to high fat meats.
I find that pretty ignorant... people will cook and eat their meat they way they like it and not by the opinion of a celebrity chef. If I was served a piece of meat as pictured in the link I would tell the waiter to take it back to the chef to cook it more.

I am a fan of the roo meat only because of the cost and low fat content. I find there's nothing worse than paying $40/kg for fillet steak when there's fat all the way through it.

But thats just my opinion.
Old 29th January 2011, 7:13 PM   #10
Croc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbdirty View Post

I find that pretty ignorant... people will cook and eat their meat they way they like it and not by the opinion of a celebrity chef. If I was served a piece of meat as pictured in the link I would tell the waiter to take it back to the chef to cook it more.
I agree 100%, lamb is perfect example for me, i love it almost burnt, it just so tasty to ME, if someone likes it rare or whatever that is fine as well.
anyone claiming that something should be only cook one specific way is just clueless wanker
Old 29th January 2011, 8:53 PM   #11
scon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croc View Post
I agree 100%, lamb is perfect example for me, i love it almost burnt, it just so tasty to ME, if someone likes it rare or whatever that is fine as well.
anyone claiming that something should be only cook one specific way is just clueless wanker
Fair enough. However the rare recommendation is for people who enjoy their meat moist (many people would say this is how it should be eaten). Because kangaroo lacks the inbuilt lubrication (fat) it gets very dry if you cook it all the through. If you like your meat to be similar to jerky, then cook it well done. I'm not a big fan of sauces with my meat, perhaps apart from a dab of mustard.
scon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 9:19 PM   #12
OldnBold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbdirty View Post
Sort of agree with this. It's my understanding that most of the roo meat sold is slaughtered by some red neck in the middle of nowhere and not in a more controlled environment where beef might be raised and the livestock given vaccinations.
No .. there are very stringent regulations about the slaughter of any meat for human consumption .. so in this you are totally wrong.
Old 29th January 2011, 9:36 PM   #13
Alfonzo

Definitely recommended to keep them rare, yeah. The meat is so lean and dense it's a lot more difficult otherwise.
Old 29th January 2011, 9:43 PM   #14
HeXa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croc View Post
EDIT: as for how far you should cook skippy, http://www.awpc.org.au/kangaroos/boo...s/diseases.htm
while I agree in general there is a problem with uncontrolled kangaroo meat quality, having articles with references such as "Womans' Day" does not further the cause

Quote:
The October issue of Womans’ Day (1995) reported that a food-borne outbreak of toxoplasmosis caused
HeXa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 9:50 PM   #15
RnR

My choice of red meat. I marinade thin strips for a day with garlic, mint and olive oil and then I cook it till there are no more red bits showing. Haven't found it (overly) tough. Maybe because I cut the strips against the grain
RnR is offline   Reply With Quote