Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Portable & Small Form Factor

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 5th February 2011, 2:29 PM   #1
glenpinn Thread Starter

Default Asus G73JH-TZ008X Laptop

hi, i recently sold my 2 month old very high spec $3000 i7 Qosmio laptop to a former client, and i have now recently decided to drop all my computer/laptop work and go back to my part time videography and editing work, and now im in the market for another i7 quad core laptop, but i dont want to spend so much cash on another $3000 Qosmio when there are other cheaper machines i could get to do the job for me, and use for gaming as well.

rather than build a new i7 SFF desktop pc and have a laptop for doing work away from home, i rather get a decent 17" laptop for desktop and mobile use (desktop mode i can use my 24" HD screen)

a guy i know in hobart is a big time laptop re-seller (new laptops) and has offered me an Asus G73JH-TZ008X for $1300 and i was curious what you guys think of it for the price (its a discontinued model)

17.3" (1600x900)
Core i7 720QM
8gb ram
Ati 5870 1gb
500gb 7200rpm hdd but has 2x hdd bays

http://www.asusnotebook.com.au/2097_...-7-Home-Pr.php

im trying to confirm with him about the Asus warranty as i was sure Asus have 2 year warranty as standard.

so, gimme the drill on this laptop, is it any good, is it too expensive (he sells them for $1399 normally) or is there anything else out there better than this for the same cost.

open to suggestions, but my budget is around the $1300 mark, has to be 17" or bigger, full HD res screen, have 2 hdd bays, firewire, 4 usb, hdmi, esata etc.

cheers

Last edited by glenpinn; 6th February 2011 at 12:13 PM.
glenpinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 5th February 2011, 2:59 PM   #2
Jonchilds

If you can, wait for the Sandy Bridge issues to be sorted out.

The reviews I've seen show the 720/740QM CPU's falling behind the newer counterparts - which come clocked at 2.0Ghz minimum vs. 1.6Ghz.

Edit:
For $1300 it's a pretty good deal.

Last edited by Jonchilds; 5th February 2011 at 3:12 PM.
Jonchilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2011, 3:15 PM   #3
glenpinn Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonchilds View Post
If you can, wait for the Sandy Bridge issues to be sorted out.

The reviews I've seen show the 720/740QM CPU's falling behind the newer counterparts - which come clocked at 2.0Ghz minimum vs. 1.6Ghz.
no im not waiting for them, i need something now, and there is no way i can see i will get a similar spec i7 laptop to this one for the same money.

the one thing about waiting for sandy models is that they might drive the prices on these discontinued, and other current i7 laptops down a lot more, but im basically asking about the value of this laptop here which a local guy sells.

the thing is, im not buying it sight unseen, he has it in stock, i can make sure warranty is local, i get a tax invoice and its ready to go.

im not jumping on the sandy bridge band wagon yet, yes they appear to be great chips, im after some value now
Old 5th February 2011, 7:22 PM   #4
bennyg

i7 720qm is plenty fast enough, for the bit of encoding I've done with it, though having had an i7 CPU in your qosmio you'd know all about that.

Unless you upgraded the CPU in your qosmio, this g73 will be no slower at all. That is why it sold so many... I would have waited and got one if I knew it was gonna be out a month after I bought this G51J (which is great BTW, and the g73 is way better than this, GPU doesn't boil water for a start)

Don't worry about it being EOL, especially if you're getting a warranty with it (do confirm wty it should be 24 month international) - they're still on sale in heaps of places, and the only difference with the G73JW that replaced it is a bees-dick-faster GTX460M GPU, a few minor bugfixes, and USB 3.0. If you want to wade through literally tens of thousands of posts about the G73JH, go over to the notebookreviews forums.

G73JH for $1300 is brilliant value. RRP for US models USD$1500-1600, ORRP in australia $2600+, fell under $2000 at time of EOL. There is simply nothing out there that's better value unless you steal it. Bung in a small fast SSD and install windoze on it = teh win
Successful trades: 18, value >$2500
bennyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 12:11 PM   #5
glenpinn Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyg View Post
i7 720qm is plenty fast enough, for the bit of encoding I've done with it, though having had an i7 CPU in your qosmio you'd know all about that.
yeah i reckon its a brilliant buy, however i found out last night that this one actually only has a 1600x900 res screen and not 1920x1080 as he originally told me.

not having used a 17" or larger laptop with anything lower than 1920x1080 (or 1200) in a gaming environment, or doing graphics/photo/video work im not sure how it will go so the only way is to go see if i can test drive one if i am able.

they certainly are beautiful machines.
Old 6th February 2011, 1:06 PM   #6
skinz

A mate has one of these and he loved it, until it decided to overheat on him all the time. It has something to do with the thermal paste not being applied properly on the video card. It might have been fixed, but I recommend looking into it. A quick google will give a lot of hits...
skinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 1:55 PM   #7
Goobers

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
yeah i reckon its a brilliant buy, however i found out last night that this one actually only has a 1600x900 res screen and not 1920x1080 as he originally told me.

not having used a 17" or larger laptop with anything lower than 1920x1080 (or 1200) in a gaming environment, or doing graphics/photo/video work im not sure how it will go so the only way is to go see if i can test drive one if i am able.

they certainly are beautiful machines.
the thing that shits me about the g73jh, g73jw & the g73sw model laptops from asus is that there is so many different sub models, and they are scetchy at best on the details about which model numbers belong to which specifications for each product, that and the fact that the us model numbers are different to the Aus model numbers for the same product.

ie my version in the US is the g73jh-a2, and im sure its the tz008-xi or something in aus

I dont even know which one I have, its annoying, but personally 1920x1080 = > 1600x900
Goobers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 2:48 PM   #8
glenpinn Thread Starter

my issue will be the 1600X900 screen resolution on this laptop with full HD AVCHD which is one of the formats i shoot in with one of my new panasonic TM700 cams.

grabbing a similar spec laptop with full HD screen adds about $300 or more to the cost, so i guess i should have kept my $3000 Qosmio laptop.

im not into gaming myself, so i dont really need gaming performance, so a lower end graphics chip would suffice, im just thinking of gaming performace now because my son may want to borrow it to take somewhere, or it will get passed on to him sometime in the future anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinz View Post
A mate has one of these and he loved it, until it decided to overheat on him all the time. It has something to do with the thermal paste not being applied properly on the video card. It might have been fixed, but I recommend looking into it.
and here is the other reason why buying a high end laptop (new or 2nd hand) like these without any warranty can make it a very expensive exercise to get repaired if anything goes wrong.

at least if this sort of thing happens and its under warranty, it gets fixed, or the laptop is replaced.

this ASUS NX90JQ is the pick of the crop for me, with 7200rpm hdd options rather than the 5400rpm ones specified here, which to be honest is crazy now days to include a 5400rpm hdd especially for an OS drive, and i still prefer an Ati graphics chip over nvidia, but with these beasts i dont think there is an option.

http://www.asusnotebook.com.au/2343_...in-7-Home-.php

Last edited by glenpinn; 6th February 2011 at 3:30 PM.
Old 6th February 2011, 3:35 PM   #9
snappy1

I bought a Qosmio X305 2 years ago, great machine, bought it on e bay for less than 2/3 of retail, was looking last night at a replacement. Same seller(best Aussie Electronics) have the X500 i7,18.3 " 1080P,1 GB Nvidia for $1500, or the same system with an i5 for $1200
snappy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 4:37 PM   #10
glenpinn Thread Starter

well im a bit blown away by this laptop seller in hobart, he just emailed me to say his Asus laptop only has the following warranty.

"we offer 3months back to base warranty and can offer a 3-year upgrade fro $199"

its supposed to be a brand new laptop ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy1 View Post
Same seller(best Aussie Electronics) have the X500 i7,18.3 " 1080P,1 GB Nvidia for $1500
18.4” diagonal widescreen TruBriteŽ TFT LCD display at 1680 x 945

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TOSHIBA-X500-...item53e26cd53f

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy1 View Post
Same seller(best Aussie Electronics) or the same system with an i5 for $1200
18.4” diagonal widescreen TruBriteŽ TFT LCD display at 1680 x 945
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TOSHIBA-X500-...item53e26cd53f

Both these models you quoted are baseline models (fitted with just 1 hdd not 2 as they are able to take) and they do not have full HD resolution screens (they are 1680x945) and the i7 model only supports full HD via the bluray rom and downscales it to run at the screens native resolution of 1680 x 945, which is a total cockup of toshiba to even produce a screen with this rediculous resolution.

His laptops, along with the Asus one i quoted above are also discontinued models, hence their slightly cheaper prices, and they are sourced from after market resellers in usa who buy up unsold stocks and flog them off to such ebay sellers who add a small markup and flog them off, and thats why they only have a 3 month return to base warranty on them.

The laptop guy here in hobart also sells those same Qosmio laptops for the same, or similar prices.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

And i just got another email regarding the 3 month warranty, this will verify my comments about where these laptops come from

Dear glenjul, we buy wholeslaestock and our warranty agreement is with distribuotr. Mayeb other sellers sell more expensive or dont disclosetrue terms...?

- entique_australia
note that he says the warranty is with the distributor not manufacturer.

This is why i wont ever buy a laptop from ebay, nearly all of them are older models, and sourced in the very same way, and usually drop shipped from the "distributor" overseas and the warranty is not covered here in australia, the laptop needs to be sent back to the supplyer at your cost.
The seller of the Asus laptop i looked at is located near me, and carries stocks but clearly he still ships them from america and no manufacturer warranty, so im not touching them.

my Qosmio was the top of the line X500/06C PQX33A-06C02C model and it was a beast, and only had a 1 year warranty, but im not spending this much on another i7 laptop again, i rather buy an Asus with a 2 year warranty for a lot cheaper.

http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/products.../pqx33a-06c02c

Last edited by glenpinn; 6th February 2011 at 5:37 PM.
Old 8th February 2011, 2:00 PM   #11
Peter H

G73H don't have esata, or firewire, or express card, if you're looking at video editing. Afaik, that was from a early press release. Mine doesn't, only 4 x usb2 for connectivity/external devices. It is a gaming laptop after all.
Peter H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 3:46 PM   #12
glenpinn Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter H View Post
G73H don't have esata, or firewire, or express card, if you're looking at video editing. Afaik, that was from a early press release. Mine doesn't, only 4 x usb2 for connectivity/external devices. It is a gaming laptop after all.
ASUS G73JH-TZ008X

http://www.asusnotebook.com.au/2097_...-7-Home-Pr.php

in that link it says it has esata, firewire and xpresscard slot ???

i just did a bit more digging around and found this brilliant unboxing video which confirms those 3 things are missing, and im devastated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouAP-h54Nns

looks like its back to a big 18.5" qosmio which have nvidia graphics, and i hate nvidia graphics in aly laptop.

Last edited by glenpinn; 8th February 2011 at 4:33 PM.