Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Audio Visual

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 12th April 2011, 8:34 AM   #1
guppy Thread Starter

Default How do I stop the pixelation of my digital TV reception ?

Hey everyone,

I need some help with my digital tv reception wondering if you can help. I get interference all the time which causing pixelation of the image, so much so I have to do something about it. The image normally pixelates and the audio is not understandable.
I noticed it usually happens when:

There is lightening.
Heavy winds.
Cloud cover.
When a bike with an electric motor goes past our house.
When I turn a fan on or off or change it's speed that's connected to the same power board.
Aircraft fly by.
Sometimes for seemingly no reason at all (probably slight wind or slight cloud cover, I don't know).

Details of my setup:

I have an analogue roof aerial, hoisted fairly high in the air.
Have separate UHF and VHF antennas pointing in different directions.
Have a Kingray booster/multiplexer on the aerial.
The signal strength is quite high, 93% or so, on all channels except SBS which has like 64% or so most of the time which doesn't cause any drop outs, only pixelation. So all the channels work well most of the time it seems to be interference of some sort.
I had the antenna guys out when a hail storm damaged it, they replaced the broken parts of it. And they told me that our antenna is in a black spot, where the reception is bad, but going digital fixed most of those problems.

I bought some RG6 cable. But we have a splitter in the roof which is hard to get to so I have put it off and i'm tall. And I think the cable from the booster already has shielding from memory. i tried replacing the main tv aerial outlet with a F-Type, I think it made a difference using the RG6 for the connectors. The main bit in the centre of the cable had broken and replacing it was a good idea anyway but the problem remain.

Any idea's mates ?

guppy
guppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 12th April 2011, 9:10 AM   #2
Fishface

I'd suggest looking at the DTV forums for specific antenna advice for your area.
With the phase out of analogue it may be time to update the antenna to something better.
Fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 9:40 AM   #3
aXis

Sounds like it is impulse noise - DTV is highly succeptible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The result is macroblocking and pixelation of the entire signal whenever impulse noise sources (such as motors, appliances or electrical storms) are active
Your main options are to increase the distance to the interference (reroute cables?) or to improve shielding. Propper "quad shield" coax will help, as will F Connectors.
Old 16th April 2011, 10:15 PM   #4
guppy Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aXis View Post
Sounds like it is impulse noise - DTV is highly succeptible.

Your main options are to increase the distance to the interference (reroute cables?) or to improve shielding. Propper "quad shield" coax will help, as will F Connectors.
I think your right, I was thinking shielding too to protect from noise. I might try both suggestions, upgrade antenna too.

Thanks guys.
Old 16th April 2011, 10:57 PM   #5
DarkYendor

Bigger antenna and better cabling - solves most problems. DON'T bother with a signal booster - in your situation, it will make matters worse.
SERVER: | i3 3220 | 8GB DDR3 | 16TB + SSD | - BACKUP SERVER: | Intel D945GCLF2 | 1GB DDR2 | 8TB |
Successful OCAU trades / New blog & buildlogs
DarkYendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 11:10 PM   #6
guppy Thread Starter

Well the problems are solved now. Seems it was bad earthing in the mains power of our house. They put a new earthing rod into the ground.

And now I don't get any interference from lights turning on an off anyway. Only occasional pixelation which lasts about 1 min sometimes at night. Not sure why it does this. Haven't made any changes since last time, might try a new digital aerial next, I heard it helps channels 10 and 2 signal strength.

Will see how it goes when there is some heavy winds and lightning
Old 28th April 2012, 10:07 PM   #7
guppy Thread Starter

Thought i'd update while i was here. No problems anymore, only slight pixelation for a second when there is interference. It runs better than ever now.
Old 29th April 2012, 10:58 AM   #8
Nitephyre

I hear analogue TV is awesome... I wonder when we're switching to that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by benmagga View Post
There aren't too many things you can cuddle and BBQ
Nitephyre is offline   Reply With Quote