Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > Windows Operating Systems

Notices

Search our forums with Google:
View Poll Results: IS Windows 8 Hot or Not?
Hot 324 31.09%
Not 513 49.23%
Candy.. sweeet sweet candy!! 205 19.67%
Voters: 1042. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th April 2011, 2:17 PM   #1
Carbonfibre Thread Starter
(Banned or Deleted)

Default Windows 8 Thread

Just noticed win 8 has had a beta build leak live, anyone tried it yet?

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/19366/...ant/index.html

http://www.techspot.com/news/43264-l...uild-7850.html

Quote:
New Feature list:

* Factory Reset without losing personal info.
* Network Backup, "History Vault".
* ISO Mounting.
* Full PDF Support, "Modern Reader".
* Hide-able, dynamic Ribbon UI for Windows Explorer with a set of standard and context-specific functions.
* A real, yet to be seen tablet interface, "Immersive".
* An "app store" with a new format (AppX) for applications resembling the format for Windows Phone 7. Rumoured portability for apps between phone/tablet/traditional platforms.
* Aero Basic replaced with Aero Lite (A more full-featured but still low-resource version of Aero, compared to Aero Basic).
* New OEM Activation 3.0 (OA 3.0) rumoured to be EFI based.
* User controls and picture on the right side of the taskbar. Rumoured LiveID integration.
* New configurable Welcome Screen based on Windows Phone 7 lock screen. Includes icons for power management, date and time, accessibility options, and audio controls for music playback.
* Rumoured pattern-login for tablets.
* Automatic configuration of the colour of Aero elements based on the desktop wallpaper.
* SmartScreen from Internet Explorer is now integrated into the Operating System.
* Login and Lock screens will feature your desktop background.
* Completely revamped Disk Cleanup.
* Integrated USB 3.0 support.
* Milestone 1 includes a HUGE memory optimisation & UAC is faster
* Up arrow is present in Windows Explorer (Next to Back/Forward buttons)
* Screen brightness adjustment on power options from system tray
* New hybrid-shutdown/hibernate mode that replaces shutdown, faster startup
* Integrated biometric login

Last edited by Carbonfibre; 16th April 2011 at 12:30 PM.
Carbonfibre is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 13th April 2011, 2:27 PM   #2
Oppressa

Some more info. Is this what you were referring to?
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/19366/..._says_do_want/
Main: Cooler Master Elite 342, i7 3930K, Corsair H80, Rampage IV GENE, Corsair 4x4Gb 2133Mhz DDR3 Dominator GT, Sapphire 7970, OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS 120Gb, 1Tb Western Digital Green, 2 x Pioneer DVR-212
HTPC: Silverstone SST-GD01S-MXR, i5 4670, Scythe Big Shuriken, ASUS Z87M-PLUS, G.Skill Ares F3-1866C9D-8GAB (2x4GB) DDR3, 8Tb of storage, Pioneer Bluray BDR-206
Oppressa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 6:50 PM   #3
the scotsman

Yea, I thought about starting a thread on this. But it's worth noting that the leaked M1 build is dated September 2010, so it's essentially Windows 7 with a few tweaks. None of the recently reported changes are in there.

I'm holding off until a later build is leaked...

Free Stuff | OCAU Bargains Thread
the scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 7:38 PM   #4
glenpinn

im not even going to bother with it at all, beta, retail or otherwise.

microsoft gave us a crappy OS in vista, we then got this wonderful Win 7 OS and i personally see no point in bothering with anything else for a long time to come.

i have collected (bought) a lot of legal win 7 products and im very happy with this OS and see no valid reason in wasting more time checking out another new one, then waste more money on that when i already spent a fortune on win 7 already.

not for me, Win 7 was a saviour, im sticking to it.
glenpinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 7:41 PM   #5
DeejW

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
im not even going to bother with it at all, beta, retail or otherwise.

microsoft gave us a crappy OS in vista, we then got this wonderful Win 7 OS and i personally see no point in bothering with anything else for a long time to come.

i have collected (bought) a lot of legal win 7 products and im very happy with this OS and see no valid reason in wasting more time checking out another new one, then waste more money on that when i already spent a fortune on win 7 already.

not for me, Win 7 was a saviour, im sticking to it.
agreed, seems the same as win7 anyway minus a few unnecessary features.
Old 14th April 2011, 7:46 PM   #6
glenpinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeejW View Post
agreed, seems the same as win7 anyway minus a few unnecessary features.
yeah, and regardless if it has new features added, or some features removed, i just dont see the point when we were forced to use vista for way too long because it was released 1 year too early, or had to go back to XP.

win 7 is barely just over 15 months old from release and they want to make another one.

anyway, i guess it will be there for some to try, but i think most people wont bother in the long term.
Old 14th April 2011, 8:06 PM   #7
Dodoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by the scotsman View Post
Yea, I thought about starting a thread on this. But it's worth noting that the leaked M1 build is dated September 2010, so it's essentially Windows 7 with a few tweaks. None of the recently reported changes are in there.

I'm holding off until a later build is leaked...
This. It looks identical at this point with the addition of that userpic thingy at the bottom right which allows you to customise your account/desktop. Also a few of the UI elements have been changed, but that's it. I'm looking forward to M2/3 which will hopefully have the newer UI.
Old 14th April 2011, 8:13 PM   #8
James086

The ribbon in Windows explorer might be good. I may get Windows 8 but at the moment I'm very happy with the way I have Windows 7 set up. Also I remember reading somewhere that DX11 is here to stay for a while so there's no real need for me to upgrade just yet. That said, "need" doesn't often come into my computer spending habits.
we want to hear neckbeard arguments not redneck ones
James086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 8:14 PM   #9
bradrogers

Thank fuck I've made the switch to mac. Another windows version, another bunch of app troubles, and probably another time to open my wallet to buy new hardware.

Old 14th April 2011, 8:22 PM   #10
the scotsman

lol and that's different on a mac how? New OS version, new hardware (only difference is you have to buy a whole new computer, not just components)...it's called progress...else we'd still be running 3.1 on a 486.

But let's not turn this into a windows/mac thread.

Free Stuff | OCAU Bargains Thread
the scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 8:32 PM   #11
Dodoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrogers View Post
Thank fuck I've made the switch to mac. Another windows version, another bunch of app troubles, and probably another time to open my wallet to buy new hardware.

If anything works on 7, it'll work on 8. Just like how (almost) anything from Vista worked on 7. I don't see your point? And your wallet has already been raped by buying a mac
Old 14th April 2011, 8:33 PM   #12
Flamin Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
win 7 is barely just over 15 months old from release and they want to make another one.
This is no different to any other OS release. The OS team doesn't just sit around twiddling their thumbs once it's gone RTM. They pretty much get started on the next one. This is a VERY early pre-beta, early alpha release, so there is going to be LONG time before it's RTM, another 15 months at the very least. 2-3 years between OS releases isn't that short a time span considering the rapid pace IT moves at.
Flamin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 8:37 PM   #13
JoJoker
(Banned or Deleted)

I'll upgrade when new Direct X releases become unsupported in WIN7
JoJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 8:47 PM   #14
Ethan W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin Joe View Post
This is no different to any other OS release. The OS team doesn't just sit around twiddling their thumbs once it's gone RTM. They pretty much get started on the next one. This is a VERY early pre-beta, early alpha release, so there is going to be LONG time before it's RTM, another 15 months at the very least. 2-3 years between OS releases isn't that short a time span considering the rapid pace IT moves at.
This sort of pace also keeps everyone moving. The gap between XP and Vista combined with the explosion of the market between them meant that everyone got settled into the idea of XP living for eternity, especially in the wide consumer market. So when Vista came along, it was a shock for hardware and the change-hating people that held said outdated hardware close.
Not to mention a lot of the hardware/software was created during that time under the impression that things wouldn't change, so they didn't bother to update drivers/programs because there was so much work involved or the companies didn't exist/support their product any longer.

As such, smaller and quicker incremental updates are better for keeping people and hardware from freaking out. Not to mention revenue.

I'm disappointed that it supports 32-bit, though. It would be the final nail in Netburst's coffin, forcing people to move on from their ubiquitous, godforsaken P4s that I am sick of dealing with.

Steam: [OCAU] Ethan
Ethan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 8:58 PM   #15
glenpinn

i do understand that microsoft dont sit on their asses doing nothing just because they got win 7 right, but what i meant was that i dont see any point in people worrying about windows 8 now, just enjoy win 7 as it is.

also, i personally hope they keep supporting 32bit versions of windows, i think its great that people with older non 64bit hardware can buy windows 7 and enjoy it on their old machine just as others can use 64bit on new machines, and they have a right to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrogers View Post
Thank fuck I've made the switch to mac. Another windows version, another bunch of app troubles, and probably another time to open my wallet to buy new hardware....
i dont see what your point is, you moved to Mac and that was your choice, but whats changing hardware got to do with going to a newer version of windows.

after i got my son his iMac and my daughter Mac Mini, even i moved to Mac for a while, just to see what all the fuss was about, but could not come to terms with the change, and lack of software support for the work i do. my son uses his iMac for audio recording and all his normal everyday needs, but now has win 7 on bootcamp for gaming so he has the best of both worlds.

if i ever want another mac for myself, i will do so purely for the great build quality of the machines, but will install win 7 onto it and use windows full time.

Last edited by glenpinn; 14th April 2011 at 9:12 PM.