Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Business & Enterprise Computing

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 21st May 2011, 12:24 PM   #1
Lukenet Thread Starter

Default Do you provide support for SMB construction company?

Guys,

I am looking to see if anyone has any tips or experience with any solutions for construction project management.

This is for an SMB or Small to medium sized company.

They are happy to look at solutions that provide Integrated accounting and/or integrated CRM. The company is very open minded as long as the solution works.

Just to help narrow it down a little, things on the shopping list include Australian based support or Good OS support experience.. Preference is given to onsite install rather than cloud. That said, they are happy to find a hosted/web solution that we run via our server at a DC.

Google is returning a mixed bag. Industry contacts don't have much good to say about the systems they currently use.

I prefer to know/evaluate a product(s) before I call a vendor.. To be honest, I would rather chat with you guys than talk to venders in the initial stages of evaluating and seeing what is out there..

Any solutions that even may even remotely fit the bill are welcome.. I just need some links to chase down and start to evaluate.

thanks in advance for any help or input you can provide..
Lukenet is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 21st May 2011, 12:47 PM   #2
NSanity

Yeah.

This is a tricky one.

I have clients who rely on either Databuild or Buildsoft (way old) for the estimating process. They then use something like SAGE ACT! for CRM.

But in terms of integrated accounting and/or integrated CRM, there is very little in the way of solutions under the $100k implemented mark (this is about what you need to begin to look at a MS DynamixGP solution mildly tailored), then to get something that *really* does what you want, you're looking at a MS DynamixNAV platform, coming in at around the $160-200k mark.

One of our clients (25 users) has been looking for an "off the shelf" package, around the $100k mark, and has been pretty disappointed so far - yes they do the job, however they aren't customisable enough to suit their processes at that price point.
NSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 1:33 PM   #3
Lukenet Thread Starter

I am kind of glad someone else is finding this hard..

We have looked at sage timberline.. It looks to have CRM type of functions and integrated accounting, but looks to be quite out of date in terms of UI and business functions..

I will have a look the to two you suggested.. The step up to the 100K imark s a very hard sell, especially when it looks like the bills for business mods would never end..

Last edited by Lukenet; 21st May 2011 at 4:28 PM.
Old 21st May 2011, 2:13 PM   #4
NSanity

Timberline is the product they looked at heavily and decided wasn't suitable enough, given the price tag.
NSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 4:46 PM   #5
Lukenet Thread Starter

We came to the same conclusion about Timberline.

The biggest problems we are finding is most of the packages are basically built off very, very old code base. This is not inherently bad thing as some of the core functions have not really changed. But they really haven't keep up the UI enhancements of the last 10 to 15 years. In come cases +30 years.

The main problem is, the industry has moved on. These packages have not! Some of the packages out there are based on Windows 3.11 GUI. you can argue that these systems still work, but the users really need "modern" functions such as spell check..

The other major problem is, most if not all packages have no OH&S and Environmental management functions that have become a core requirement of commercial construction project management over the last 10 to 15 years.

I am struggling to find a system that can manage and perform the functions required in modern building. I find you end up running mix of manual, quoting, takeoff, and some legacy systems and good old office based systems just to get job under control..

Hey, I did find this one called Jobpac. Does anyone have any experience with Jobpac? It looks like it may be a little too high end for us.. Their website does not have any screenshots or indication of pricing..

Last edited by Lukenet; 22nd May 2011 at 7:00 PM.
Old 1st June 2011, 10:06 AM   #6
ShatterStorm

Hey Lukenet, how is the search going. Have you found a candidate yet ?
ShatterStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 7:14 AM   #7
Crusher

http://www.zavanti.com/
Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 7:45 AM   #8
Pepito

Have you looked at CHEOPS ?

cheers,

Last edited by Pepito; 2nd June 2011 at 3:49 PM.
Pepito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 9:26 PM   #9
Lukenet Thread Starter

Hey guys,

thanks for the links.. I will check them out.. No.. I am still looking..

I have also uncovered a few others.. SoloAssist was one.. I am going to evaluate this one but there is not much info on their website.. A bit of a common theme which is a PITA.. Would it kill these guys to put screenshots on their websites of their apps.

I will post the others when I am at work..

Last edited by Lukenet; 11th June 2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10th June 2011, 8:49 AM   #10
Squeezer

In a "previous life" I worked in IT with one of the big Construction companies.

We used CHEOPS for ERP and Buildsoft for Estimating, QMDS and Qtrak for Document Management. We also had heavy use of Aconex as a web based portal for Construction ( documents/transmittals etc ) and to a lesser extent Project Centre and a bit of Buzzsaw.

There was another Defect management system being used in our Interstate offices which ran through an Ipod touch ( cant remember the name right now ) that was picking up momentum

Things we were looking at : CostX for Estimating ( Much newer and lots more features but BIG on hardware required which would have meant High end Notebooks / High end Servers at each site ( doesnt want to play nicely in thin client environments )

CHEOPS - We had been running for 10 year + - There is a new version in the pipeline but CSSP were looking at selling the business to Coynes late last year but that fell through. Any ERP system is going to require a lot of setup/Ongoing support - It's the nature of the beast
Squeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 11:01 PM   #11
Lukenet Thread Starter

This is what I am finding.. I may have to work across a few apps.. Not want I wanted, but looking more likely...
Old 12th June 2011, 8:43 PM   #12
PodgeSSS

I hear you guys, i might look into a few of those mentioned, but a lot of the software out there looks really outdated, currently running these :

Buildsoft - Estimating
Cheops - Accounting
Tenderlink - Tender Portal
Lotus Domino - Document Management / Email
Old 12th June 2011, 9:05 PM   #13
Grizbear

Businesscraft?

One of our clients deals with this software. Seem happy enough with it from what I can tell.

Not sure how it fits in but take a look.

http://www.businesscraft.com/
Grizbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 2:51 PM   #14
shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukenet View Post
Hey guys,

thanks for the links.. I will check them out.. No.. I am still looking..

I have also uncovered a few others.. SoloAssist was one.. I am going to evaluate this one but there is not much info on their website.. A bit of a common theme which is a PITA.. Would it kill these guys to put screenshots on their websites of their apps.

I will post the others when I am at work..
Company I work for is working with SoloAssist to add some new functionality - so whatever it does now, it will do more soon.
Old 15th June 2011, 10:31 PM   #15
Lukenet Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift View Post
Company I work for is working with SoloAssist to add some new functionality - so whatever it does now, it will do more soon.
I spoke with someone from there, they seem to be in a very early stage, (lets call it planning) to add iOS app.

The person I spoke with indicated that they were looking around the $500 mark for a single app.. Hmmm.... Will be interesting to see if an iOS app will sell for a price that is the same as the hardware it runs on.

It turned me off to be honest. Maybe it will be that good? Maybe it won't? either way, it going to be expensive to see if it is going to work for us, when its finally developed.