Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices


Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!
Search our forums with Google:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 1st June 2011, 12:32 PM   #151
[LoL]
Member
 
[LoL]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Melbourne, 3173
Posts: 416
Default

I quit, AMD your stream is just like your products, budget and sub par..
__________________
Folding for OCAU, rawr!
NINTENDO™ DS Lite Owners Club Member #0101
[LoL] is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 1st June 2011, 12:34 PM   #152
evlcookie
Member
 
evlcookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,036
Default

So not a single bulldozer mention? That can't be good. I know there's mean to be another AMD based conference mid june i believe?

Sounds like a Z68 system is just about a go after that conference.
evlcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 12:35 PM   #153
mugginz
Member
 
mugginz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Victoria
Posts: 540
Default

So the rumors about the delay were obviously right.

Might be time for me to accept the next machine will be Intel.
mugginz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 12:45 PM   #154
Pemalite
Member
 
Pemalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Port Lincoln, SA
Posts: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugginz View Post
So the rumors about the delay were obviously right.

Might be time for me to accept the next machine will be Intel.
I'll be sticking with AMD.
Going to order a new Gigabyte 990FX motherboard in a few days so I'll be ready to drop a shiny Zambezi chip into my system.

My bank account won't look so bloody depressing then as it will have time to recover before the CPU purchase (I'm only on a Pension ).
__________________
| Core i7 3930K @4.8ghz | Asus Sabertooth x79 | 32gb DDR3 | 3x Radeon 7970 | Corsair C70 case | Corsair H100 cooler | 3x Dell U2711 in Eyefinity |

Last edited by Pemalite; 1st June 2011 at 12:48 PM.
Pemalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 12:47 PM   #155
Linkin
Member
 
Linkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sydney 2017
Posts: 5,320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugginz View Post
So the rumors about the delay were obviously right.

Might be time for me to accept the next machine will be Intel.
Blasphemer! Heathen!

They barely muttered anything about Bulldozer at all though, one tidbit of info that said boards "next" month (talking about june I suspect) and CPU's the month after, but I recall the dude was talking about Llano.
__________________
Trades = $7903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange1 View Post
Hodor won't die. He wins and ends up on the throne, giving birth to the tradition of dimwits being in the position of power!
Linkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 12:52 PM   #156
mugginz
Member
 
mugginz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Victoria
Posts: 540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkin View Post
Blasphemer! Heathen!
Yeh, I know. I haddn't relly looked closely in detail at what Intel had on offer, only being aware from casual exposure to benches that a 2600K would probably be where I go if I was to buy Intel. That's now changed. I'll be having a proper look at Intel now because I'm just not so sure I'll be seeing the Bulldozer CPU I want in the near future.

I'll be buying the new case for the next build and probably it's power supply too in the following week to keep my need for new hardware happy. If I get everything else but the CPU/Mobo for now maybe I can be happy enough to wait another two months for the CPU.
mugginz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 12:55 PM   #157
MdMa
Member
 
MdMa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Melb
Posts: 343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evlcookie View Post
So not a single bulldozer mention? That can't be good. I know there's mean to be another AMD based conference mid june i believe?

Sounds like a Z68 system is just about a go after that conference.
I'll be right behind you unless we hear something enticing mid June.
__________________
"Don't look at the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory"
MdMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 1:01 PM   #158
TOX
Member
 
TOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Xindian City, Taipei
Posts: 14,264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemalite View Post
I'll be sticking with AMD.
Going to order a new Gigabyte 990FX motherboard in a few days so I'll be ready to drop a shiny Zambezi chip into my system.

My bank account won't look so bloody depressing then as it will have time to recover before the CPU purchase (I'm only on a Pension ).
Yeah this is one good thing about the 990FX being out now and supporting the current crop of CPUs

You can go nab yourself a nice Bulldozer ready board and install your current Phenom II in. Then when BD comes out, swap out the CPUs and be on your way. Shouldn't be a need to format or anything which is pretty sweet.
TOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 1:28 PM   #159
evlcookie
Member
 
evlcookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdMa View Post
I'll be right behind you unless we hear something enticing mid June.
There is another AMD event mid june, which is probably what you are referring to, Hopefully they show off something then or at least give us some concrete information.

I would love to pick up a 990 board (they look so purdy) but since i'm on an old intel c2d it would just be pointless. I guess i could drop in a 1090T but spending $200 on something for what could be 2 months seems a little nutty.
evlcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 2:12 PM   #160
Ethan W
Member
 
Ethan W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NSW, 2156
Posts: 1,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evlcookie View Post
I would love to pick up a 990 board (they look so purdy) but since i'm on an old intel c2d it would just be pointless. I guess i could drop in a 1090T but spending $200 on something for what could be 2 months seems a little nutty.
I'm tempted to wait until it comes out and nab a Phenom II X4 1100T and some better cooling on the cheap.
__________________
Obsidian: Phenom II X4 965 | 8GB DDR3 | AMD 6970 1GB | 115GB SSD & 2TB RAID0 HDDs | Win7 Pro | Razer BlackWidow, Mamba | AudioTechnica AD700
Macbook Pro 13" 2010 | C2D 2.4GHz | 8 GB | 120GB SSD, 640GB HDD | OSX 10.9

Steam: [OCAU] Ethan | My opinions are my own and do not represent that of employers or groups.
Ethan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 6:50 AM   #161
Digit
Member
 
Digit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,465
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan W View Post
I'm tempted to wait until it comes out and nab a Phenom II X4 1100T and some better cooling on the cheap.
yea i'm with you there, apparently that's enough for bigadv on fah so . . . tempted, very tempted
__________________
PhenomII 955 | 790XT-UD4P | 2 x AMD HD 6990 | 8GB DDRIII @1333Mhz | 4TB | 9---------------|-} Trades: lost count
http://www.turnedon.com.au | DiRT Showdown Review
Home grown non heat treated honey from the Sydney region for $10/kg.
Digit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 12:18 PM   #162
shadowman
Member
 
shadowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Perth
Posts: 2,691
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digit View Post
yea i'm with you there, apparently that's enough for bigadv on fah so . . . tempted, very tempted
Given that the 2600k is around $50 more than the 1100T, I'd be tempted to go the 2600k, you can get a decent Z68 board for around the $200 mark. At least for folding, that would be the easiest way, as there is no having to install VMware and faff around tweaking stuff, the 2600k just runs bigadv straight off the bat.
__________________
"Icecream is gonna save the day" - Muscles
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 12:34 PM   #163
Belial669
Member
 
Belial669's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
Given that the 2600k is around $50 more than the 1100T, I'd be tempted to go the 2600k, you can get a decent Z68 board for around the $200 mark. At least for folding, that would be the easiest way, as there is no having to install VMware and faff around tweaking stuff, the 2600k just runs bigadv straight off the bat.
Not sure on the math there shadowman, either 1100T's are rather expensive round your parts or the 2600k's are awfully cheap.
For reference I priced 1100T's around the $220-230 mark http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/...q=1100T&spos=3
Whilst the 2600K is around the 320-330 mark http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/...q=2600K&spos=1


I'm actually struggling with the same issue right now, the price of the 990FX-Ud5 is very tempting compared with a z68x-ud5 approx $100 cheaper give or take, however the risk is whether BD will deliver in the folding arena once released, else we're left with a platform that may not quite fit the bigadv niche in the same way that SB/2600K does currently.

The real question is given the current price difference, does the significantly lower cost of the AMD as a stop-gap till the BD release and its potential outweigh the current known performance.

Still i'm sure thats enough folding talk for around here, don't want to stir the natives too much from gaming and benching.
__________________

Addicted to folding member #669
Folding@Home 20,000,000 Points Milestone
Folding for a cure. Why we Fold @ OCAU

Iron Folder of the Month - August 2011
Belial669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 3:26 PM   #164
Olle_34
Member
 
Olle_34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Stanmore
Posts: 2,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial669 View Post
Snip'

Still i'm sure thats enough folding talk for around here, don't want to stir the natives too much from gaming and benching.
Think you'll find under lots of gamers and benchers there's a folder lurking

Will be noice to find out bd's folding potential,might be well worth the wait,I for 1 was about to go sb but fuck it,I'll wait for Bulldozer (fingers crossed)
Also tax time is fast approaching,nothing like blowing a big fat return on an upgrade
__________________
abigtruk in bf4
Olle_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 3:29 PM   #165
shadowman
Member
 
shadowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Perth
Posts: 2,691
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial669 View Post
Not sure on the math there shadowman, either 1100T's are rather expensive round your parts or the 2600k's are awfully cheap.
For reference I priced 1100T's around the $220-230 mark http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/...q=1100T&spos=3
Whilst the 2600K is around the 320-330 mark http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/...q=2600K&spos=1
Your right, I was looking at Netplus prices and the 1100T is still $279, because Netplus doesn't update their prices until more stock arrives.

So there is $100 difference in it really...and your concerns are the same as mine. Still, the 1100T is only going to get you around 23kppd with Bigadv (and a lot of messing around), the 2600k is going to get you more than double that. Then you add the unknown - the new FX processors. I'm hoping that 8 physical cores is going to be better than 4 physical / 4 HT cores, but I' guess I'll have to wait and see.
__________________
"Icecream is gonna save the day" - Muscles
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bulldozer, terribad

Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 5:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. -
OCAU is not responsible for the content of individual messages posted by others.
Other content copyright Overclockers Australia.
OCAU is hosted by Internode!