Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 1st June 2011, 12:32 PM   #151
[LoL]

I quit, AMD your stream is just like your products, budget and sub par..
NINTENDO™ DS Lite Owners Club Member #0101
[LoL] is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 1st June 2011, 12:34 PM   #152
evlcookie

So not a single bulldozer mention? That can't be good. I know there's mean to be another AMD based conference mid june i believe?

Sounds like a Z68 system is just about a go after that conference.
evlcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 12:35 PM   #153
mugginz

So the rumors about the delay were obviously right.

Might be time for me to accept the next machine will be Intel.
mugginz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 12:45 PM   #154
Pemalite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugginz View Post

I'll be sticking with AMD.
Going to order a new Gigabyte 990FX motherboard in a few days so I'll be ready to drop a shiny Zambezi chip into my system.

My bank account won't look so bloody depressing then as it will have time to recover before the CPU purchase (I'm only on a Pension ).

Last edited by Pemalite; 1st June 2011 at 12:48 PM.
Pemalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 12:47 PM   #155
Linkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugginz View Post

Blasphemer! Heathen!

They barely muttered anything about Bulldozer at all though, one tidbit of info that said boards "next" month (talking about june I suspect) and CPU's the month after, but I recall the dude was talking about Llano.
Hodor won't die. He wins and ends up on the throne, giving birth to the tradition of dimwits being in the position of power!
Linkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 12:52 PM   #156
mugginz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkin View Post
Blasphemer! Heathen!
Yeh, I know. I haddn't relly looked closely in detail at what Intel had on offer, only being aware from casual exposure to benches that a 2600K would probably be where I go if I was to buy Intel. That's now changed. I'll be having a proper look at Intel now because I'm just not so sure I'll be seeing the Bulldozer CPU I want in the near future.

I'll be buying the new case for the next build and probably it's power supply too in the following week to keep my need for new hardware happy. If I get everything else but the CPU/Mobo for now maybe I can be happy enough to wait another two months for the CPU.
mugginz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 12:55 PM   #157
MdMa

Quote:
Originally Posted by evlcookie View Post
So not a single bulldozer mention? That can't be good. I know there's mean to be another AMD based conference mid june i believe?

Sounds like a Z68 system is just about a go after that conference.
I'll be right behind you unless we hear something enticing mid June.
Old 1st June 2011, 1:01 PM   #158
TOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemalite View Post
I'll be sticking with AMD.
Going to order a new Gigabyte 990FX motherboard in a few days so I'll be ready to drop a shiny Zambezi chip into my system.

My bank account won't look so bloody depressing then as it will have time to recover before the CPU purchase (I'm only on a Pension ).
Yeah this is one good thing about the 990FX being out now and supporting the current crop of CPUs

You can go nab yourself a nice Bulldozer ready board and install your current Phenom II in. Then when BD comes out, swap out the CPUs and be on your way. Shouldn't be a need to format or anything which is pretty sweet.
TOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 1:28 PM   #159
evlcookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdMa View Post
I'll be right behind you unless we hear something enticing mid June.
There is another AMD event mid june, which is probably what you are referring to, Hopefully they show off something then or at least give us some concrete information.

I would love to pick up a 990 board (they look so purdy) but since i'm on an old intel c2d it would just be pointless. I guess i could drop in a 1090T but spending $200 on something for what could be 2 months seems a little nutty.
evlcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 2:12 PM   #160
Ethan W

Quote:
Originally Posted by evlcookie View Post
I would love to pick up a 990 board (they look so purdy) but since i'm on an old intel c2d it would just be pointless. I guess i could drop in a 1090T but spending $200 on something for what could be 2 months seems a little nutty.
I'm tempted to wait until it comes out and nab a Phenom II X4 1100T and some better cooling on the cheap.

Steam: [OCAU] Ethan | My opinions are my own and do not represent that of employers or groups.
Ethan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 6:50 AM   #161
Digit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan W View Post
I'm tempted to wait until it comes out and nab a Phenom II X4 1100T and some better cooling on the cheap.
yea i'm with you there, apparently that's enough for bigadv on fah so . . . tempted, very tempted
Digit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 12:18 PM   #162
shadowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digit View Post
yea i'm with you there, apparently that's enough for bigadv on fah so . . . tempted, very tempted
Given that the 2600k is around $50 more than the 1100T, I'd be tempted to go the 2600k, you can get a decent Z68 board for around the $200 mark. At least for folding, that would be the easiest way, as there is no having to install VMware and faff around tweaking stuff, the 2600k just runs bigadv straight off the bat.
Old 2nd June 2011, 12:34 PM   #163
Belial669

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
Given that the 2600k is around $50 more than the 1100T, I'd be tempted to go the 2600k, you can get a decent Z68 board for around the $200 mark. At least for folding, that would be the easiest way, as there is no having to install VMware and faff around tweaking stuff, the 2600k just runs bigadv straight off the bat.
Not sure on the math there shadowman, either 1100T's are rather expensive round your parts or the 2600k's are awfully cheap.
For reference I priced 1100T's around the $220-230 mark http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/...q=1100T&spos=3
Whilst the 2600K is around the 320-330 mark http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/...q=2600K&spos=1

I'm actually struggling with the same issue right now, the price of the 990FX-Ud5 is very tempting compared with a z68x-ud5 approx $100 cheaper give or take, however the risk is whether BD will deliver in the folding arena once released, else we're left with a platform that may not quite fit the bigadv niche in the same way that SB/2600K does currently.

The real question is given the current price difference, does the significantly lower cost of the AMD as a stop-gap till the BD release and its potential outweigh the current known performance.

Still i'm sure thats enough folding talk for around here, don't want to stir the natives too much from gaming and benching.

Addicted to folding member #669
Folding@Home 20,000,000 Points Milestone
Folding for a cure. Why we Fold @ OCAU

Iron Folder of the Month - August 2011
Belial669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 3:26 PM   #164
Olle_34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial669 View Post
Snip'

Still i'm sure thats enough folding talk for around here, don't want to stir the natives too much from gaming and benching.
Think you'll find under lots of gamers and benchers there's a folder lurking

Will be noice to find out bd's folding potential,might be well worth the wait,I for 1 was about to go sb but fuck it,I'll wait for Bulldozer (fingers crossed)
Also tax time is fast approaching,nothing like blowing a big fat return on an upgrade
Old 2nd June 2011, 3:29 PM   #165
shadowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial669 View Post
Not sure on the math there shadowman, either 1100T's are rather expensive round your parts or the 2600k's are awfully cheap.
For reference I priced 1100T's around the $220-230 mark http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/...q=1100T&spos=3
Whilst the 2600K is around the 320-330 mark http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/...q=2600K&spos=1
Your right, I was looking at Netplus prices and the 1100T is still $279, because Netplus doesn't update their prices until more stock arrives.

So there is $100 difference in it really...and your concerns are the same as mine. Still, the 1100T is only going to get you around 23kppd with Bigadv (and a lot of messing around), the 2600k is going to get you more than double that. Then you add the unknown - the new FX processors. I'm hoping that 8 physical cores is going to be better than 4 physical / 4 HT cores, but I' guess I'll have to wait and see.