Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Game Consoles > Sony Consoles

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 13th June 2011, 8:56 PM   #1
BigandY Thread Starter

Default Help: PS3 not picking up any wifi networks

I've googled for hours and this is driving me insane.

I'm having a problem with my PS3 (40gb version). It won't connect to my wireless network. When I scan for networks it occasionally brings up a list (~5) of networks including mine and seems to connect but then very quickly will drop the connection. The wireless light goes off and remains off (it does come on and flicker when I boot up the PS3).

The original problem I was having was connecting to the playstation network which I found a lot of people having the same problem on the internet, so mucked around with a few settings - mainly on the PC. Then I started getting errors of not even being connected to the network. I experimented further, then got to the point of the possibility of fucking it up (I don't think I did) so I completely reset the PS3 settings to default and also did a default settings reset on my router, still no love.

Will not work with WPA2, WPA or no security - but I'm 100% certain it's a problem with the PS3 as it won't pick up any of the other wireless networks which are in range (I live in a block of units). I would presume the wireless card in the PS3 was dead had I not been downloading a bunch of stuff from the playstation store just hours ago.

Firmware is the most recent - downloaded today and installed via USB stick. I've also tried unplugging everything from the USB ports on the PS3 to no avail.

HELP MEH
Originally Posted by glasnt View Post
Flash boobs, not highbeams.
BigandY is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 14th June 2011, 9:15 AM   #2
MoNk{LAH}

sounds like the wireless card in the ps3 is faulty.

tried a wired connection??
Old 14th June 2011, 9:36 AM   #3
BigandY Thread Starter

Fair enough, except:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigandY View Post
I would presume the wireless card in the PS3 was dead had I not been downloading a bunch of stuff from the playstation store just hours ago.
It only stopped working once I started changing settings
Old 14th June 2011, 4:11 PM   #4
gumdrops2006

I seem to have the same problem with my previous PlayStation 3. I eventually gave up and just connected it manually.

I think it's got something to do with the PlayStation 3's wireless cards in general. For example, my new PlayStation 3 Slim does not connect to the PlayStation Network the first time you boot it up, rather it will only connect if you sign in after you have booted it up a second time, considering you don't do so after 5 minutes or so. My old PlayStation 3 had the exact same issue as well.

Also, if I have another device on the internet at the same time, the PlayStation 3 will not connect as it is in 'conflict' with another device over the same I.P address.

They seem to be a common with most PlayStation 3's connected to the network wirelessly.

Last edited by gumdrops2006; 14th June 2011 at 4:15 PM.
gumdrops2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 4:32 PM   #5
BigandY Thread Starter

The problem with a wired connection is my router is in the study and PS3 is in the loungeroom. I could move the router to the loungeroom, but that will make the internet and downloads on my PC in the study slower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumdrops2006 View Post
my new PlayStation 3 Slim does not connect to the PlayStation Network the first time you boot it up, rather it will only connect if you sign in after you have booted it up a second time, considering you don't do so after 5 minutes or so.
Sorry - do you mean you boot it up, restart it, leave it 5-10 minutes and then try to connect? huh. I might try that this evening. Actually that makes sense - yesterday when I was downloading stuff I'd been playing games prior to it, then whenever I was testing it I was trying to connect straight after rebooting it.
Old 14th June 2011, 6:12 PM   #6
The Beast

Try giving your PS3 a static IP, it might be a DCHP lease issue.

Also, put your PS3 in the DMZ of your router - I know this is a connection issue vice port forwarding issue, but I've never seen being in a DMZ to make matters worse, only better.
Old 14th June 2011, 7:01 PM   #7
BigandY Thread Starter

That was one thing I tried yesterday, I put an entry in the DHCP reservations list for the PS3 mac address and entered this IP address in the PS3's network settings (is that correct???).

I did also try DMZ, the only place in my router settings for DMZ is "DMZ HOST IP ADDRESS", which I put the above IP address into but still didn't help.
Old 14th June 2011, 9:31 PM   #8
BigandY Thread Starter

So I've narrowed the problem down.

If I have my modem/router off, the PS3 can always scan and pick up all the networks in range even after several reboots (of the PS3)
If I turn my PS3 off, turn my router on and change the WPA password (so the PS3 can't auto-connect) and then turn the PS3 back on, it still can scan and pick up networks.
If I then select my network, put in the correct details, the PS3 connects briefly (~1 minute), then doesn't want to play. If I try to rescan wireless it can't find any networks.
If I reboot my PS3 and try to rescan, it still can't find networks.
If I turn off my router and reboot the PS3, scanning picks up all networks in range.

So it seems that once the PS3 connects to my modem/router, it "locks" the wireless card until I reboot the PS3 with the router off.

I have tried taking EVERYTHING off the network (wired and wireless), rebooting the router (to clear the DHCP leases) and the same thing happens, so it's not conflict with another network client.

HELP?

edit: brb updating modem firmware (edit2: didn't help)

Last edited by BigandY; 14th June 2011 at 9:44 PM.
Old 14th June 2011, 9:54 PM   #9
The Beast

Just to clarify, have you always had this problem with your PS3 and this router?

What I'm trying to rule out is a pure incompatibility issue between your brand of router and the PS3. If it used to work fine and has somehow stopped then we can rule that out. If it has NEVER worked properly then it could be something more serious like a hardware incompatibility.

As for setting a static IP, here is how I would do it:

Look at the IP range your router is set to deliver (ie: 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.50) and pick an IP that isn't being used by any other device on your network.

Set that IP in your PS3, and make the subnet mask 255.255.255.0, IP of your router as the DNS, make the default router your router IP (ie: 192.168.0.1), make the DNS the same as your router (192.168.0.1).

I'm not sure you need to reserve the IP for the PS3 Mac address in your router, as that relates to DHCP and if you set a manual IP then the DHCP doesn't come into it - probably didn't make any difference in the end.
Old 14th June 2011, 9:57 PM   #10
gumdrops2006

Quote:
Sorry - do you mean you boot it up, restart it, leave it 5-10 minutes and then try to connect? huh. I might try that this evening.
Apologies, I should have been more specific. You should try booting up your console then sign into PSN. Once you've done that, restart your console and quickly sign into PSN again. For some reason that seems to work for me...
gumdrops2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 10:34 PM   #11
BigandY Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
Just to clarify, have you always had this problem with your PS3 and this router?
TBH I can't remember. This has only started happening yesterday - then again, I haven't been using the wireless on my PS3 much for quite a while and could be that the last time I used it was before I got the current router.
Quote:
s for setting a static IP, here is how I would do it:

Look at the IP range your router is set to deliver (ie: 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.50) and pick an IP that isn't being used by any other device on your network.

Set that IP in your PS3, and make the subnet mask 255.255.255.0, IP of your router as the DNS, make the default router your router IP (ie: 192.168.0.1), make the DNS the same as your router (192.168.0.1).
I've just tried that - it passes the initial connection test, but then if I go out and back in to the connection test it fails (same problem as previous)

edit: in the meantime, I've tried:
dropping 802.11 mode from B/G/N mixed to B only on the router
removing all wireless security
disabling uPnP on both router and PS3 connection setup
disabling media server on PS3

to no avail

Last edited by BigandY; 14th June 2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 14th June 2011, 10:59 PM   #12
The Beast

Quote:
TBH I can't remember. This has only started happening yesterday - then again, I haven't been using the wireless on my PS3 much for quite a while and could be that the last time I used it was before I got the current router.

I've just tried that - it passes the initial connection test, but then if I go out and back in to the connection test it fails (same problem as previous)

edit: in the meantime, I've tried:
dropping 802.11 mode from B/G/N mixed to B only on the router
removing all wireless security
disabling uPnP on both router and PS3 connection setup
disabling media server on PS3

to no avail
I would stop wasting any more time tweaking and just try a new router. Beg, borrow, steal, buy and return - whatever it takes, try a new router. If it works with the new/different router then it's a plain and simple hardware incompatibility.

BTW: What brand/model is your router?

Edit: If possible, try ethernet cable direct. Most of us who need/want an entirely reliable connection use a wired connection. I know it's not ideal, but imho I've never seen wireless be fail proof, whereas wired always always works.

Last edited by The Beast; 14th June 2011 at 11:03 PM.
The Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 11:08 PM   #13
BigandY Thread Starter

Dlink DSL-2730B

The problem with wired vs wireless, I can either plug my PS3 in to the router, or my PC. Not both. PC wins over PS3
Old 14th June 2011, 11:14 PM   #14
HUMMER

Quote:
Dlink DSL-2730B

The problem with wired vs wireless, I can either plug my PS3 in to the router, or my PC. Not both. PC wins over PS3
or you get a cheap switch (or an adsl router with 4 port switch) and both devices are winners.

Originally Posted by Subcommandante - Who are DVDA? Just a bunch of guys hanging out and having fun...

Originally Posted by Agg - You seem to be confusing OCAU with some kind of democracy.

Originally Posted by Spyfox - mount it on the rear like a brokeback cowboy
HUMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 12:17 AM   #15
The Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMMER View Post
or you get a cheap switch (or an adsl router with 4 port switch) and both devices are winners.
QFT. Just buy a 4 port gigabit switch for 3/5 of bugger all and plug your PS3 in via wired. Problem solved (and vastly improved).