Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Photography & Video

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 27th September 2011, 2:28 PM   #61
bubblegoose

What I think they need to do, is create a new standard.

Perhaps something like a CF card in size, but the card itself has 2 SD cards built into it. And a RAID1 like controller with integrity checking. Then you could also have an adapter card, where you can plug 2 sd cards in, and use it as well.

Drop the multiple pins like in the CF card, but instead go for a serial arrangement that uses thick pads like a USB plug, at the end of the card in the middle

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 27th September 2011, 2:34 PM   #62
csimpson

A certain Nikon Ambassador slash Sandisk Extreme Team member that I spoke to the other day is quite confident about an upcoming pro-level body with SD slots.
Old 27th September 2011, 2:44 PM   #63
methd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblegoose View Post
What I think they need to do, is create a new standard.

Perhaps something like a CF card in size, but the card itself has 2 SD cards built into it. And a RAID1 like controller with integrity checking. Then you could also have an adapter card, where you can plug 2 sd cards in, and use it as well.

Drop the multiple pins like in the CF card, but instead go for a serial arrangement that uses thick pads like a USB plug, at the end of the card in the middle
great idea but good luck doing it
methd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 2:57 PM   #64
Statitica

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaLeroy View Post
And that isn't something special Dave? ;-) ;-)
Considering that it would be a mass produced item, I wouldn't call it special Would be a sweet piece of kit, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBeasto View Post
Yeah like forget about the 4K body, you're then looking at 1k-2k lenses afterwards if you don't already own FX glass.

Do you think that these FX semi pro bodies will ever adopt SD cards over CF memory?
Just thinking that SD is slowly but surely getting faster and larger in capacity, plus the smaller size allows for two card slots in the body ala the 7DK.
Don't the D3s and the D3x have dual CF slots?
Instagram
Statitica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 2:59 PM   #65
ElBeasto

Quote:
Originally Posted by csimpson View Post
A certain Nikon Ambassador slash Sandisk Extreme Team member that I spoke to the other day is quite confident about an upcoming pro-level body with SD slots.
Ah well there ya go, I was going to just predict it but with the Sandisk SD Extreme Pro 'only' at 45 Mbps which is half of what their equivalent CF card is, I thought that it may be too much of a stretch.

That said, it's another way of taking away a pro feature from a semi pro body, making the pro body more alluring. Or something like that.
ElBeasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 3:17 PM   #66
csimpson

Quote:
Ah well there ya go, I was going to just predict it but with the Sandisk SD Extreme Pro 'only' at 45 Mbps which is half of what their equivalent CF card is, I thought that it may be too much of a stretch.

That said, it's another way of taking away a pro feature from a semi pro body, making the pro body more alluring. Or something like that.
Their latest Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-1 card is 90MB/sec
Old 27th September 2011, 4:45 PM   #67
ElBeasto

Quote:
Their latest Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-1 card is 90MB/sec
Ah, my apologies.
I hadn't heard of that card up until you told me, ha.

I was thinking of this card which I thought was their top notch SD one atm.

So I guess that means there really is no reason to use CF on future designs, hence the spec you mentioned on the upcoming body.

EDIT: I sure hope that means that CF cards come down in price a little for dinosaurs like me who's bodies still need them!

Last edited by ElBeasto; 27th September 2011 at 4:48 PM.
Old 27th September 2011, 9:28 PM   #68
thommo2002

Quote:
a mr m bell?
thommo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 8:14 AM   #69
bubblegoose

The biggest issue we have where I work when it comes to camera's is from SD cards.

People force the SD cards in backwards, and ruin all sorts of bits and pieces in there. Bend the pin/pads out of alignment, crush them into the base of the SD slot, damage the write protection sensor etc.

The worst case is a 60D I have here that has had it's write protection sensor ripped out. I assume by someone putting the card in backwards, but who the hell knows.

Never had an issue with CF cards (CF Card readers having their pins bent sure) but a camera, where it has some decent bacwards insertion protection, as well as a solid and snug fit, so the card cant move or mend when it's in any close proximity to the pins.

1 <3 CF
Old 28th September 2011, 8:24 AM   #70
^catalyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblegoose View Post
The biggest issue we have where I work when it comes to camera's is from SD cards.

People force the SD cards in backwards, and ruin all sorts of bits and pieces in there. Bend the pin/pads out of alignment, crush them into the base of the SD slot, damage the write protection sensor etc.

The worst case is a 60D I have here that has had it's write protection sensor ripped out. I assume by someone putting the card in backwards, but who the hell knows.

Never had an issue with CF cards (CF Card readers having their pins bent sure) but a camera, where it has some decent bacwards insertion protection, as well as a solid and snug fit, so the card cant move or mend when it's in any close proximity to the pins.

1 <3 CF
Man speaketh the truth. Long live CF.
^catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 8:45 AM   #71
Lardman

Quote:
Cool, don't know if that would be entirely necessary though, the D7k is a corker in it's own right.

Do you own much DX glass?
Not really. I have a 50mm F1.4 FX and a 70-200 that I think is FX (was one of the cheaper tamron ones)

But given the 4 year upgrade cycle I could off teh D7k for not much and make the jump if it isn't that large.

Who knows.
Old 28th September 2011, 8:55 AM   #72
gmphoto

Quote:
So I guess that means there really is no reason to use CF on future designs, hence the spec you mentioned on the upcoming body.

EDIT: I sure hope that means that CF cards come down in price a little for dinosaurs like me who's bodies still need them!
You ever dropped a SD card, or God forbid, a MicroSD card in grass or on the beach? Or tried to juggle a pocket full of eensy weensy memory cards?

CF cards don't seem like dinosaurs in those situations.

I personally hope Nikon sticks with CF for a long time with their pro cameras - it will keep my life a lot more worry free!

-Gary
gmphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 9:15 AM   #73
^catalyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmphoto View Post
You ever dropped a SD card, or God forbid, a MicroSD card in grass or on the beach? Or tried to juggle a pocket full of eensy weensy memory cards?

CF cards don't seem like dinosaurs in those situations.

I personally hope Nikon sticks with CF for a long time with their pro cameras - it will keep my life a lot more worry free!

-Gary
I lost an SD card in Germany full of images I took on the M9 and S2.

SD = shithouse.
^catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 10:01 AM   #74
ElBeasto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardman View Post
Not really. I have a 50mm F1.4 FX and a 70-200 that I think is FX (was one of the cheaper tamron ones)

But given the 4 year upgrade cycle I could off teh D7k for not much and make the jump if it isn't that large.

Who knows.
Fair enough, if you can afford it and you want it, get it.
It's going to be pretty expensive at release though.

It would be interesting to know if that Tammy 70-300 is DX too.

I use a CF for my SLR and and SD for my compact, I don't mind either of them TBH.

The CF card is easier to handle though granted.
Old 28th September 2011, 10:56 AM   #75
Lardman

I'm still on the fence about it. Dunno :\

Might just keep investing in DX stuff till Nikon get their act together and release a APS-C capable of doing 60p video.