Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Audio Visual

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 7th July 2011, 7:37 PM   #1
Ben Ifin Thread Starter

Default Panasonic DMP BDT 110 Blu Ray + Region Free Firmware .... is this OK / Legal ?

Hi all !

Firstly, thanks to thread admin Ma Baker for allowing me to post this question - in short, this is my issue / question:-

I have a Panasonic Blu Ray DMP BDT 110. When searching for the latest Panasonic Firmware [ 1.65 which I just found and works fine by the way ] I came across an " enhanced Firmware " which has been privately / non-Panasonic developed and can be "purchased" via a donation to the developers.

Amongst other picture and sound enhancements, this firmware region-free's both the DVD and the Blu Ray - this means that I can buy my DVD's and Blu Rays from the USA / UK / eBay and they will (i) all play and (ii) I'll save heaps.

Panasonic will Region-Free the DVD for me [ for free ] but they do not offer a Region-free for the Blu Ray.

So, given I own the unit, and it is a private / home use player, my question is:-

=> are there any legal issues for me if I " buy " and install this non-genuine Firmware ?

Many thanks,
Ben
Ben Ifin is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 7th July 2011, 8:25 PM   #2
stevo4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Ifin View Post
=> are there any legal issues for me if I " buy " and install this non-genuine Firmware ?[/COLOR]
I doubt it.
They would have to catch you out first.
Which is not likely to happen.
All they could possibly do is void your warranty if you needed to have the unit repaired under warranty.

All you do then is re apply the genuine firmware before getting any warranty work done.
Of course this would depend on what's wrong with the unit, and you are still able to do that.
Old 12th July 2011, 9:12 PM   #3
mixsetup

It would void any warranty if something goes wrong
mixsetup is offline   Reply With Quote