Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Overclocking & Hardware

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 5th December 2012, 4:34 PM   #6436
orby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehkat View Post
it's too heavy for red switches - it still works ok but is a little bit sluggish.
But I am going to replace the switch with a black tomorrow.

I love the look and feel of it though
what material is it, mehkat?

p.s. your kb is pimped man, only thing left is to have completely blank keys (I'm not 100% at touch typing so it would be fail for me, letters/numbers are fine, just the other symbols confuse me at times).

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 5th December 2012, 4:48 PM   #6437
h2oxide

Quote:
it's too heavy for red switches - it still works ok but is a little bit sluggish.

DON'T SAY I DIDN'T TELL YA
Old 5th December 2012, 5:20 PM   #6438
mehkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by orby View Post
what material is it, mehkat?

p.s. your kb is pimped man, only thing left is to have completely blank keys (I'm not 100% at touch typing so it would be fail for me, letters/numbers are fine, just the other symbols confuse me at times).
titanium

nah, blank keys are not for me, that's a set specific for pokers so it has all the fn layer keys on it. I like how it looks but I would also go nuts without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oxide View Post
DON'T SAY I DIDN'T TELL YA
I know, it's no where near as bad as they were making out at geekhack but I bought a few black switches off ebay just in case, so that's my project for tomorrow. My soldering ain't too flash though
Old 6th December 2012, 2:01 AM   #6439
Ripster

Quote:

Quote:

I know, it's no where near as bad as they were making out at geekhack ...
That's why it is called GeekWhack. A distinct lack of Keyboard Science there.

Good luck with conquering the inertia of a higher mass spacebar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertia

This is why I value PERFORMANCE over BLING any day unlike most GeekWhackers.

Last edited by Ripster; 6th December 2012 at 2:09 AM.
Ripster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 11:06 AM   #6440
sageco

Default Noppoo Choc Mini

Hey , first post here and figures that this was the most suitable thread to post in since its what brought me here in the first place.

My mechanical keyboard of choice is the Noppoo Choc Mini. bought from an ebay seller over a year ago and have not even felt the urge to replace it. It is the perfect size and its brown cherry keys provide the perfect resistance. I sold my old Das with Blue Cherrys.

My favorite aspect of the keyboard is the hardware Switch Lock that exchanges the Caps and Ctrl keys. Its a great feature that I feel more keyboards should have.
Old 6th December 2012, 11:24 AM   #6441
mr626

Quote:
Originally Posted by sageco View Post
Hey , first post here and figures that this was the most suitable thread to post in since its what brought me here in the first place.

My mechanical keyboard of choice is the Noppoo Choc Mini. bought from an ebay seller over a year ago and have not even felt the urge to replace it. It is the perfect size and its brown cherry keys provide the perfect resistance. I sold my old Das with Blue Cherrys.

My favorite aspect of the keyboard is the hardware Switch Lock that exchanges the Caps and Ctrl keys. Its a great feature that I feel more keyboards should have.
The Choc Mini is a good board. Some people are but off by the non-standard layout, but other than that its hard to fault. Particularly for the keycaps you get- either POM or PBT depending on what colour board. Both are hard-wearing and much better than the ABS you typically get.
mr626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 11:35 AM   #6442
downforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by sageco View Post
Hrmm interesting you say that as I've been tempted to get one of those to replace my Blackwidow at home. I love my Poker but I really do miss the Fn keys sometimes! And the Choc Mini is wayyy cheaper and comes with decent keycaps!
downforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 11:50 AM   #6443
mr626

Quote:
Originally Posted by downforce View Post
Hrmm interesting you say that as I've been tempted to get one of those to replace my Blackwidow at home. I love my Poker but I really do miss the Fn keys sometimes! And the Choc Mini is wayyy cheaper and comes with decent keycaps!
If you don't mind the colour, the white Choc Mini is probably the best option. Comes standard with nice thick PBT keycaps.
mr626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 12:23 PM   #6444
downforce

Actually I wanted to go for a White keyboard! I was going to get White PBT's for my Poker but ended up getting some of the original pink/purple on black for $20 which is like 1/2 of what they would have cost from Geekhack.

But it has made me appreciate the benefit of PBT over ABS and thus reduced the number of novelty caps on my Poker! Esp the cheap crappy ones.
downforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 12:24 PM   #6445
mehkat

well I had to go and fuck my board up replacing the red switch on the space bar, it worked until I put it all together, not it's not working ffs
Old 6th December 2012, 12:27 PM   #6446
strafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr626 View Post
If you don't mind the colour, the white Choc Mini is probably the best option. Comes standard with nice thick PBT keycaps.
I have this keyboard and it's great. I do prefer the standard tenkey-less layout, though. The only downsides for me is the cable is hard wired (I have seen modded examples) and the num-lock is on by default at startup (have to turn it off every time Windows boots). I'll probably sell mine soon..

I think my next purchase will be either a fullsize or another tenkey-less cherry brown keyboard, standard layout, with function keys. Best choice that i can find so far is importing a Quickfire Rapid from the States.
The Stormtrooper - Corsair 600T White, Gigabyte Z68X-UD3R-B3, 2500K, Corsair H100, 8GB Vengeance, Nvidia GTX 650 Ti, CM Realpower M620, CM Storm Cherry Black, Deathadder Black. Netbook - Dell Mini 9, 4GB, V470 Mouse.
strafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 2:17 PM   #6447
sageco

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafe View Post
I have this keyboard and it's great. I do prefer the standard tenkey-less layout, though. The only downsides for me is the cable is hard wired (I have seen modded examples) and the num-lock is on by default at startup (have to turn it off every time Windows boots). I'll probably sell mine soon..
I always thought the num lock being on was a BIOS setting since i was able to turn it off on mine. The fact the the noppoo's num lock is a hardware lock is both a curse and a blessing in that regard.
Old 6th December 2012, 4:06 PM   #6448
sonicthemouse

Quote:
well I had to go and fuck my board up replacing the red switch on the space bar, it worked until I put it all together, not it's not working ffs
Do I still owe you a favour for that enermax revo? Or was that someone else?

Either way, I might be able to fix your soldering. Mine's not like technician perfect either but I could probably manage that

Trades: Bought: $9,674 | Sold: $7,484 | Net: Down $2,190

My Builds/Articles: The Qube | 24/7 Efficiency Roundup | "Ubermicro" Server
sonicthemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 6:05 PM   #6449
mehkat

yeah that was me, cheers for remembering
it's all good man, I actually need money too (just been evicted, fml) so if it sells I'm gonna let it happen, but if no-one takes it after a couple of days I might hit you up for that

Last edited by mehkat; 6th December 2012 at 6:09 PM.
mehkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 11:33 PM   #6450
aussie-revhead

Has anyone tried a Matias Quiet Pro? I would try one but I type in the dark, need backlit or illuminated keys ....

aussie-revhead is offline   Reply With Quote