Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 7th March 2012, 6:33 AM   #76
mike-s

Found on the side of the road with "i work, just need a hard drive" written on the top with a whiteboard marker. He was given it a month ago by a made and had it for a month and has since had no idea what the hell to do with it as throwing his mac laptop hdd in there didn't get it working. Score for me

Good luck with the component chase, I've got the spare-parts 100CT here, just not taken it down to component level and replaced bits ... yet..
Sony Vaio Club Member #21
mike-s is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 8th March 2012, 6:13 AM   #77
dustar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-s View Post
Found on the side of the road with "i work, just need a hard drive" written on the top with a whiteboard marker. He was given it a month ago by a made and had it for a month and has since had no idea what the hell to do with it as throwing his mac laptop hdd in there didn't get it working. Score for me
that's indeed a nice score :-) . I know not much of Apple, can you use any desktop - hard disk in it, or should it be Apple only hardware?
dustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2012, 11:17 PM   #78
mike-s

Any old SATA drive will do.

Not tried installing it yet, thus far I've been fighting with just getting the cd drive working in dos, which i did thanks to this page. Such a weird goddamn issue, seems the pccard driver pre-sets the variable for the /d: for the driver-name. Now to copy stuff across to it! Note: because of the decision of Toshiba to make the laptop write blindly to 8.0gb -> 8.064gb blindly when going into hibernate mode the drive has to be partitioned into two drives, I've opted for C: being fat32 & 7.95gb and d: being 52Gb formatted to NTFS for when win2k goes on there.

Last edited by mike-s; 8th March 2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 8th March 2012, 11:58 PM   #79
mike-s

Just reading some other random forums, i found a legitimate download point for Msdos 6.2 & Word for dos 5.5, as well as there being a version of ibm dos 7.10 out there too (the .zip file under \sgdeploy\sgtk\DOS\ ). This may help some of you in going even more retro. :-)

60GB .zif drive from my other laptop, Zif -> 2.5 inch adapter & obligatory electrical tape to temporarly hold it in place.

Plenty of room inside. but it seems to be staying put, which is a good thing.

All back together and running off the cd drive, the Hard drive plastic fascia pushes the drive back into the slot & holds it snugly in place, it's not loose in the slightest. For reference the 100CT is sitting on top of my Dell D420, which is a 12.1 widescreen laptop, so not large by any means.

Last edited by mike-s; 9th March 2012 at 12:24 AM. Reason: +pics
Old 12th March 2012, 5:34 AM   #80
dustar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-s View Post
Just reading some other random forums, i found a legitimate download point for Msdos 6.2 & Word for dos 5.5, as well as there being a version of ibm dos 7.10 out there too (the .zip file under \sgdeploy\sgtk\DOS\ ). This may help some of you in going even more retro. :-)
I've got a copy of IBM DOS 4.01. Bought it for EUR 1 ( 1,25 AU $ ) at a local recycling store some years ago. It was still sealed at that time ( I opened it later ).

dustar is offline   Reply With Quote