Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Modding > Modding Worklogs

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 31st July 2011, 10:11 PM   #1
Benshooman Thread Starter

Default Worklog: CM Storm Scout Mod

Hey all, this is my first post back on OCAU for quite a while

In a few days I'm receiving parts for my new computer build, and my current CM Storm Scout needs some modifications to enable the new parts to be installed properly and to my liking. These are the parts going into my new build:

-Intel Core I7 2600k
-CM Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler
-Asrock Extreme4 Z68 Mobo
-Corsair Vengeance 8G (8-8-8-24) 1600MHz
-MSI HD6970 Lightning Twin Frozr III 2GB
-Silverstone Strider Plus 750W
-2x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
-Asus DVDRW Drive
-NZXT Sentry Mesh 30W Fan Controller
-CM Silent Black 140mm Fan
-NZXT Sleeved 2M LED cable Red

Just for something out of the ordinary for me, I thought Id make a blog following my Case Mod, as I'm browsing on here every day but have never made an account. I hope you guys enjoy, and that I don't stuff it up, as this is my first attempt at modding a pre-built case.

31/07/11

Removed current pc from cm storm scout case, and installed it into my custom built table case (ill post up a WIP blog of this later).

Removed stock fans from storm scout so that I could clean them, as they were dusty as hell.

I plan on removing the existing case window and replacing it with a new window cut from this sheet of clear acrylic, that I picked up for free from dads work.

The aim of this is to get rid of those side fan grills, as I wont be needing them anymore and they would otherwise detract from the view into the interior of the case.

The new 6970 Lightning that Ive purchased wont actually fit into my current case, as it is enormous at what I believe to be a whopping 11 inches!
To accommodate this new addition to the case, I had to remove the HDD bay from the Storm Scout.

This was done by just drilling the rivets out, first starting at the head of the rivets and drilling through. The result is the rivets simply popping out the other side.

Im planning on cutting the HDD bay down to 3 HDD slots, as I'll most likely never be needing more than 3 hard drives in a single computer. If it comes to that Ill install more in my old PC. After I cut the HDD bay to size im going to re-install it in its old position, which will leave a gap, hopefully big enough to accommodate the new card.

If the new 6970 doesnt fit in this new gap, I'll have to make cuts into the DVD Drive cages as well, in addition to the HDD bay re-size.

QUESTION - does anybody familliar with electronics know If I would be able to swap 2 of the existing 4 USB slots on the front panel of the Storm Scout with 2 new USB 3 slots?

My new Asrock motherboard comes with a USB 3 attachment (pictured below)

It's supposed to fit into a floppy drive extension, but I was wondering if it would be at all possible to hotwire the two ports to the existing front panel of the Storm Scout. Here are pictures of the front panel and the internal electronics layout.

If anyone could help me with this it would be greatly appreciated, as I know little about actual board electronics.

Cheers
i72600k | MSI HD6970 Lightning | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 | Vengeance 8G 1600MHz | 2x Spinpoint F3 1TB | Strider Plus 750W | CM Storm Scout (WIP MOD) | Benq 24"HD LCD | Razer Lycosa | CM Sentinel Advance |
Logitech Z5500 | Razer Carcharias | Win7 Ulti X64

Last edited by Benshooman; 31st July 2011 at 10:16 PM.
Benshooman is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 2nd August 2011, 9:57 PM   #2
[RMS] ST1NG3R

could snip off the last 2 usb2.0 ports and split those usb 3.0 ports and mount them side my side... not sure how you would attach them properly though...

ps. im only assuming this would work, my knowledge of modding electronics is limited.

OR you could cut some holes in the front so the USB 3.0 fits above the USB 2.0
[RMS] ST1NG3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 8:45 AM   #3
photonmoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by [RMS] ST1NG3R View Post
could snip off the last 2 usb2.0 ports and split those usb 3.0 ports and mount them side my side... not sure how you would attach them properly though...

ps. im only assuming this would work, my knowledge of modding electronics is limited.

yeah, what ST1NG3R said could work... just there isn't much room where the front i/o panel is, so you would really have to measure and be sure before cutting and I reckon going above the current 4 USB 2.0 ports would be best, it has the most room.

I've added quite a few extras onto my scout's front i/o panel, so you can do heaps
photonmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1NG3R

I was thinking about that, but are you saying I should cut through the PCB? or just de-solder the existing USB 2.0 slots?

I assume cutting the PCB would render it useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photonmoo
I've added quite a few extras onto my scout's front i/o panel, so you can do heaps
oh sweet, any chance of photos of your scouts IO panel?
i72600k | MSI HD6970 Lightning | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 | Vengeance 8G 1600MHz | 2x Spinpoint F3 1TB | Strider Plus 750W | CM Storm Scout (WIP MOD) | Benq 24"HD LCD | Razer Lycosa | CM Sentinel Advance |
Old 3rd August 2011, 6:03 PM   #5
[RMS] ST1NG3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benshooman View Post
I assume cutting the PCB would render it useless.
only if lines were cut... im assuming though that the lines run straight from the cables to each set of 2x USB ports... so if you really wanted you could re-locate the 2nd pair of USB ports somewhere else.... but seeing as USB 3.0 is backwards compatable its a silly idea (unless you really want 6 USB ports on the front )
[RMS] ST1NG3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2011, 1:57 PM   #6

haha 6 front USB ports would be pretty ridiculous. But you gave me an Idea. I think I might just remove all of the front USB 2.0 ports, and only have the 2x USB 3.0 on the front. Ill just cover the remaining slots with a sticker or something.

UPDATE***

I've had a busy week at uni so not much has been done on the case until today.

I ended up removing both the 5.25" cage and the HDD cage, to ensure that I had enough room. That and the fact that my parts order was delayed, and I was bored. But its OK, I got a free motherboard upgrade

Anyway, heres some pics of the modified cages.

This is the HDD cage cut down to a lower height. Ive still got room to fit 3x Hard Drives in there, so im not worried.

I folded the bottom metal tabs of the re-sized cage outwards, and Im going to drill holes through the skirts, so that I can easily re-install it to the bottom of the case.

Heres the 5.25" cage, with the large cut out of the rear section making room for the 6970 lightning, and the smaller front cut out making room for a secondary 140mm case fan on the front of the case.

The existing storm scout window was easy enough to remove, I just popped the plastic rivets out of their sockets with a screwdriver head, and the window practically fell off. The good news about this was, not only was I able to recycle those bad boys, the window wasn't damaged either

I also cut and installed the new window on my case today, I think it looks pretty sexy. Heres some pics of my progression.

Traced outline of old window on acrylic sheet.

Acrylic sheet cutout, holes drilled and countersunk.

Shiney new window

Window installed!

More to come during the week as the bits for my computer arrive

Last edited by Benshooman; 6th August 2011 at 2:00 PM.
Old 9th August 2011, 3:38 PM   #7
Lynch

very interested in this table case
RIG - ASUS Maximus 4 Extreme P67 | i7 2600k @ 4.5Ghz [1.32v] | G.Skill RipjawsX -2133Mhz 8GB@2133Mhz [9-11-9-28] | MSI GeForce GTX 580 3GB Lightning Xtreme Edition | OCZ Revodrive 3 240Gb | corsair H70 cooler | Silverstone Strider 850w Full Mod | Coolermaster 690 II advanced
Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote