Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Newbie Lounge

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 3rd August 2011, 1:42 PM   #1
draistlin Thread Starter

Default Use 60GB SDD as smart response cache SSD?

So i've just built my computer and because i had some issues with the installation of windows 7 i took it in to centrecom for them to troubleshoot. The problem i have now is that i'll be getting hold of a kingston 64GB SSD tomorrow, so is it worth it to reformat everything and install the windows onto the SDD, or should i just use Intel Smart Response and add the SSD as a separate drive?
draistlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 3rd August 2011, 2:07 PM   #2
Linkin

Use the SSD like you would a HDD. I do have some advice:

1) Disable unnecessary startup options (they seem to grow as you install various programs that are "helpful" in loading their own services and tray icons. Huge waste of resources)
2) open a command prompt and type "powercfg h off" - this disables hibernation and deletes the hiberfile.
3) Disable search indexing, superfetch and volume shadow copy, and disk defragmanting services
4) Make sure to load the latest firmware onto the drive before you install, else when you update it it will wipe the drive
5) Have BIOS/UEFI settings correct, this means setting the sata controller to AHCI and disabling SATA/IDE combined mode
6) In windows, disable all pagefiles and set a static 512mb-1gb pagefile onto your SSD drive. Using a HDD for pagefile is slow and negates benefits of the SSD and disabling it entirely causes some programs to not function and you won't get any BSOD dump files.

I think that's all the major ones done.
Hodor won't die. He wins and ends up on the throne, giving birth to the tradition of dimwits being in the position of power!
Linkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 2:11 PM   #3
miicah

Get vLite and make a slim install of Windows 7, should save you up to 5gb depending on what your remove.
Old 4th August 2011, 7:12 AM   #4
LostBenji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkin View Post
6) In windows, disable all pagefiles and set a static 512mb-1gb pagefile onto your SSD drive. Using a HDD for pagefile is slow and negates benefits of the SSD and disabling it entirely causes some programs to not function and you won't get any BSOD dump files..
This last bit is debateable. Dump files are a waste to most and still won't help for whats in the RAM at time of shitting ones pants.
The other issue is why use a PF at all. There are few programs that are anal about it like photoshop but it sooon resolved when you tell it to butt-out.

RAM is cheap, no excuse not to have enough to kill off the PF totally and save shortening the already limited life of SSDs.

Last edited by Bern; 4th August 2011 at 10:01 AM.
LostBenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 8:38 AM   #5
TomDonnley

Quote:
Originally Posted by draistlin View Post
So i've just built my computer and because i had some issues with the installation of windows 7 i took it in to centrecom for them to troubleshoot. The problem i have now is that i'll be getting hold of a kingston 64GB SSD tomorrow, so is it worth it to reformat everything and install the windows onto the SDD, or should i just use Intel Smart Response and add the SSD as a separate drive?
If you dont mind the issues of managing where you put your files and are comfortable rebuilding your OS if their is a problem use it as a HDD.

If either of those is a problem use it as a SRT and you wont look back.
TomDonnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 9:20 AM   #6
Linkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBenji View Post
This last bit is debatable. Dump files are a waste to most and still won't help for what's in the RAM at time of shitting ones pants.
The other issue is why use a PF at all. There are few programs that are anal about it like photoshop but it soon resolved when you tell it to butt-out.

RAM is cheap, no excuse not to have enough to kill off the PF totally and save shortening the already limited life of SSDs.
I've seen no evidence that SSD's have a shorter life than HDD's. They get slow if you fill them up, sure. A Secure Erase is your friend.

Have you got a flash drive that you've had for many years and no longer reads or writes? No? Then you shouldn't have an SSD that does that either, especially seeing as they've been out for such a short time.

For the time being at least, page file is necessary. Having a small, fast one on your SSD will improve performance compared to your HDD. Sure, having it disabled is faster than both, but for the time being, some programs won't work, you won't get dump files from a bsod (there are other reasons for bsod other than failed overclock and drivers you know).
Hodor won't die. He wins and ends up on the throne, giving birth to the tradition of dimwits being in the position of power!
Linkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 9:38 AM   #7
Reaper_1994

From what i saw i while back you could use the speed of an SSD put with a normal HDD and get a 70%ish increase in speed compared to just a HDD. It's still slightly slower then just installing windows on an SSD but it's genius. I think some of the RAID cards do that It's a bit like (or a lot like) the Seagate Momentus HDD that has the 4GB SSD built-in to speed up boot times and loading times of most used programs, just for desktops
Main Rig: WC'ed Intel 2600K @ 4.5GHz, 1.34v (XSPC Raystorm) / WC'ed HIS (EK6970+EN) + XFX HD6950 (EK-FC6970) / Gigabyte Z68X-UD7-B3 / Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 / Fractal Design Define R4 / Corsair HX850
Add me on Steam: ^1Reaper_1994
OCAU HWBot Team
Reaper_1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 4:08 PM   #8
Sent2Strike

Fresh install is mostly always the best way to go. If you already have windows 7 on another set of HDD you don't need to format them first, just go ahead and install it on the SSD and make the SSD the boot disc in bios.

Make sure you have it in either ACHI or Raid mode on the Sata chipset controllers to enable trim support. VERY IMPORTANT!

I assume with such a small SSD you are mainly using it as a boot drive anyway. So make sure that in windows you change the default save directories for your media files i.e. videos, music etc.
Old 5th August 2011, 4:26 PM   #9
Dr Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper_1994 View Post
From what i saw i while back you could use the speed of an SSD put with a normal HDD and get a 70%ish increase in speed compared to just a HDD. It's still slightly slower then just installing windows on an SSD but it's genius. I think some of the RAID cards do that It's a bit like (or a lot like) the Seagate Momentus HDD that has the 4GB SSD built-in to speed up boot times and loading times of most used programs, just for desktops
I have a momentus XT, owned it for a year or longer now. It's been into various machines as to me its best bit is to shave off a few seconds on boot from a normal HDD. Its nothing compared to an SSD. The drive now sits in a netbook.. the end
Originally Posted by Akh-Horus View Post
I forgot the bogan stamp, the Southern Cross tattooed on the inner forearm!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foos View Post
won't the electric handbrake annoy the bogans?
Dr Evil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 10:45 PM   #10
woodys_world69

I had a 60GB SSD and ran out of space.

I would rule out installing Windows onto the SSD, and get a bigger capacity, unless u just do email and internet browsing on the Computer. Games, Office, Photoshop etc will eat up ur SSD space fast.
Old 6th August 2011, 12:42 AM   #11
g3monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodys_world69 View Post
I had a 60GB SSD and ran out of space.

I would rule out installing Windows onto the SSD, and get a bigger capacity, unless u just do email and internet browsing on the Computer. Games, Office, Photoshop etc will eat up ur SSD space fast.
On a 60gb ssd games dont belong there.

A 60gb ssd with an optimised install of windows 7 should have atleast 45gb remaining which is more than enough for office + photoshop etc.

Games always go on a mechanical hdd unless you have a 120+gb SSD.

My 60gb ssd was fine for a long time with windows 7 + Visual studio + office 2010 + Photoshop.

The only time it ever ran out of space was because I left a massive amount of extracted sourcecode on it.
Old 6th August 2011, 8:20 AM   #12
LostBenji

Quote:
I've seen no evidence that SSD's have a shorter life than HDD's. They get slow if you fill them up, sure.
It's a known fact that SSDs have limited read/write, I don't need to argue or prove it.

Quote:
Have you got a flash drive that you've had for many years and no longer reads or writes? No? Then you shouldn't have an SSD that does that either, especially seeing as they've been out for such a short time.
I have plenty, they read and write with errors or data corruption and fail if not already binned.

Quote:
For the time being at least, page file is necessary. Having a small, fast one on your SSD will improve performance compared to your HDD. Sure, having it disabled is faster than both, but for the time being, some programs won't work, you won't get dump files from a bsod (there are other reasons for bsod other than failed overclock and drivers you know).
Let the OP try for him/herself as it's just opinions floating here.
LostBenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2011, 2:07 PM   #13
miicah

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBenji View Post
It's a known fact that SSDs have limited read/write, I don't need to argue or prove it.
Limited being 18 years of read/write cycles:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rate,2923.html
Old 7th August 2011, 12:47 AM   #14
NNNG

Quote:
The amount of read and write cycles required to kill a SSD are very high, and are not the limiting factor in SSD reliability. Just because they have limited read and write doesn't mean they have a shorter lifespan at all.

Last edited by NNNG; 7th August 2011 at 12:51 AM.
NNNG is offline   Reply With Quote