Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Science

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 16th January 2010, 12:32 AM   #1
Arbite Thread Starter

Default Scientists Move Doomsday Clock Back 1 Minute.

Quote:
Scientists have pushed back the hands on the symbolic Doomsday Clock by one minute, citing hopeful developments in nuclear weapons and climate change.

The symbolic clock, which shows how close humankind is to self-annihilation, was moved back to six minutes before midnight from five minutes.

The Bulletin of Atomic Scientists (BAS), which maintains the clock at the University of Chicago, attributed the move to efforts by world leaders to reduce their countries' nuclear arsenals and collaborate on climate stabilisation.
Full article here
The clock has been pretty grim the past few years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkiwinki View Post
"Oh, I was driving by and saw incest burning in front of your house...."

Last edited by Arbite; 16th January 2010 at 12:36 AM.
Arbite is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 16th January 2010, 9:43 PM   #2
IPW

Talking 2, minutes, to miiiidnight!

Everytime I hear about this, I think of Iron Maiden.

I know I'm not alone
Old 16th January 2010, 9:47 PM   #3
iNoob

Arguement invalid...
Im in Miami biiiiiii... wait.

Im in Australia b*tch! Stoopid missle takeh longah to get here. Thank God, few extra minutes of life
Old 16th January 2010, 10:03 PM   #4
Rational

Currently we are at 6 minutes to midnight. This is "worse" than the entire period between 1960 and 1981. If they honestly think issues like "climate change" are making the situation now any more or less safe than during the height of the Cold War, they clearly have lost their way on judging tangible geopolitical risk.
Rational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 10:20 PM   #5
SLATYE
SLATYE, not SLAYTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynekruse View Post
Currently we are at 6 minutes to midnight. This is "worse" than the entire period between 1960 and 1981. If they honestly think issues like "climate change" are making the situation now any more or less safe than during the height of the Cold War, they clearly have lost their way on judging tangible geopolitical risk.
The problem is that when there's a big event, it's easy to justify moving the clock. For example, when NK tests a nuclear weapon you can say that's a big problem and move the hands a few minutes closer to midnight.

However, the stress from this sort of thing tends to relax slowly, without any big events - it gradually becomes clear that NK's nuclear programme isn't particularly dangerous at the moment. When do you move the hands back to account for this?

Similarly, if two countries look like they're about to start a war, that moves the hands closer - but over time the war becomes less and less likely (as they slowly resolve the problems). Eventually they're back where they were before, but the hands are still closer to midnight. The result is that the hands do tend to move towards midnight. No doubt they'll soon start doing it in seconds instead of minutes to allow more steps.

Personally, I think it's silly and inefficient. If they were going to use a clock (which can represent a full 12 hours) then it should have started at 6:00 (meaning that it can move equally far forward or back before reaching its limits). Starting at 11:53 means that you've wasted almost the entire clock.
Old 16th January 2010, 10:38 PM   #6
Rational

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLATYE View Post
The problem is that when there's a big event, it's easy to justify moving the clock. For example, when NK tests a nuclear weapon you can say that's a big problem and move the hands a few minutes closer to midnight.

However, the stress from this sort of thing tends to relax slowly, without any big events - it gradually becomes clear that NK's nuclear programme isn't particularly dangerous at the moment. When do you move the hands back to account for this?

Similarly, if two countries look like they're about to start a war, that moves the hands closer - but over time the war becomes less and less likely (as they slowly resolve the problems). Eventually they're back where they were before, but the hands are still closer to midnight. The result is that the hands do tend to move towards midnight. No doubt they'll soon start doing it in seconds instead of minutes to allow more steps.

Personally, I think it's silly and inefficient. If they were going to use a clock (which can represent a full 12 hours) then it should have started at 6:00 (meaning that it can move equally far forward or back before reaching its limits). Starting at 11:53 means that you've wasted almost the entire clock.
I like the concept but I think it has lost its real purpose since the end of the Cold War. The nature of this period of history meant that nuclear war was tangible and the way this clock was set up tried to remind the populace of this and perhaps instil a sense of passivity. I do not see global nuclear war as something tangible in the current geopolitical climate.

I personally think the Doomsday Clock should have gone with the Berlin Wall, Iron Curtain and Communism.
Rational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 2:47 PM   #7
Aratama_Bashi

.....now i want to watch "watchmen" again
Aratama_Bashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 4:06 PM   #8
Tinian

TBH I'm surprised this Doomsday clock is still maintained. In over 60 years, despite the assumption that mankind was 99.5% of the way to global disaster at its inception, we seem to be rolling along nicely...
The Treasurer Wayne Swan promised four surpluses. He didn't deliver one. You promised an effective mining tax. It raised next to nothing. You promised no carbon tax. You introduced one. You dismantled the Coalition's border protection regime claiming that would save $60 million. It cost more than $10 billion. You axed two sitting prime ministers. Isn't that reasonable for voters to baulk at trusting Labor again with the reins of government?
Tinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 4:19 PM   #9
derty sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPW View Post
Everytime I hear about this, I think of Iron Maiden.

I know I'm not alone
No you're not.

It'd be funny if the world ended and they had it set to 6 minutes to midnight. How dumb would they look.
derty sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 4:43 PM   #10
-=ButFli=-

I'm not sure how a bunch of atomic scientists are qualified to comment on how close we are to the end of the world. They may be experts on building nuclear weapons but this does not give them any knowledge of when one will be used. I would have thought someone who is an expert in something like international relations or politics would be more entitled to comment.

But you know, who am I to poke fun at something with a name like Doomsday Clock?
Old 18th January 2010, 4:46 PM   #11
iNoob

Well if a one race can survive 500 years with the current technology/weaponry without self-annihilation then the race has the potential to survive long time.
Old 18th January 2010, 4:49 PM   #12
Joehax

Quote:
Originally Posted by derty sanchez View Post
It'd be funny if the world ended and they had it set to 6 minutes to midnight. How dumb would they look.
Yeah we'd sure show them!

Successful trades: whisky, pumbertot, ANTH101, jutty, gm:fx, drewfus, Wojee, Foolio, Son Gokou, carny, xpantz, 123realtalk, commando, DavidP2190, staden, laidlow, sallz0r, Mr Dolby, kraniX, azkgtr, aokman, $tealthFiga, matttai, Hazardous1
Joehax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 7:34 PM   #13
dohzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joehax View Post
Yeah we'd sure show them!
I'd be LOLing.
dohzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 11:23 PM   #14
Foliage

I hate this fear mongering shit. Why don't we just tell our children we are all going to die a firey death and live their entire life in fear so we can skip the silly clock.
Old 23rd January 2010, 4:07 PM   #15
goatman

excuse me for being a noob, but how is doomsday 6 minutes to midnight?
goatman is offline   Reply With Quote