OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Science

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 1st September 2012, 10:29 PM   #1
dmr Thread Starter

Default Lifeform that never dies - immortality discovered

Turritopsis nutricula jellyfish "immortal jellyfish"

This species of jellyfish might be the only animal in the world to have truly discovered the fountain of youth. Since it is capable of cycling from a mature adult stage to an immature polyp stage and back again, there may be no natural limit to its life span. Because they are able to bypass death, the number of individuals is spiking. "We are looking at a worldwide silent invasion," says Dr. Maria Miglietta of the Smithsonian Tropical Marine Institute.

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/ani...ve-the-longest

How odd is that? An organism that is able to escape death... forever.
dmr is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 1st September 2012, 10:41 PM   #2
Zee

Many years ago, I remember reading that even if we cracked the fountain of youth, the average life span would still only be about 600 years - that is about how long it would take for some illness or freak accident to take you out (on average, of course...).

Z..
Old 2nd September 2012, 10:43 AM   #3
abadonn
(Taking a Break)

I've heard of this years ago, so the discovery is not entirely new, and although it has no natural death cycle it certainly isnt literally immortal. Just theoretically so. And this article here suggests its not that unusual for small basic organisms to have this function http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_immortality
abadonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2012, 6:57 PM   #4
luke o

Until someone figures out how to cook the buggers (not being racist but probably in a stir fry)... then you will watch them be totally fished out and extinct within a few decades. I remember reading about these little guys, I don't think it's what humans really need as our memory, what defines each of us, would not be retained. You'd essentially be dying and a new genetically identical copy of you would be born with zero memories.
luke o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2012, 10:24 PM   #5
Fortigurn

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke o View Post
Until someone figures out how to cook the buggers (not being racist but probably in a stir fry)... then you will watch them be totally fished out and extinct within a few decades. I remember reading about these little guys, I don't think it's what humans really need as our memory, what defines each of us, would not be retained. You'd essentially be dying and a new genetically identical copy of you would be born with zero memories.
I think the main issue is that this kind of life cycle is only viable for far less complex organisms than humans.
Fortigurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 7:24 AM   #6
chainbolt
The end is near?

Quote:
Through this process - called transdifferentiation - the jellyfish is able to return to its polyp state, the first stage of the life of a jellyfish. During transdifferentiation, its cells can become completely transformed. For example, a muscle cell could become a nerve cell - even an egg. The jellyfish then reproduces asexually and breed hundreds of jellyfish that are identical to the original adult. This process can be repeated - again and again, but only as an emergency measure. As Dr Maria Miglietta of the Smithsonian Tropical Marine Institute says, "We are looking at a worldwide silent invasion."
"Transdifferentiation": Fascinating concept.
chainbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 10:04 AM   #7
PsychoSmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Many years ago, I remember reading that even if we cracked the fountain of youth, the average life span would still only be about 600 years - that is about how long it would take for some illness or freak accident to take you out (on average, of course...).

Z..
For myself I would probably content with a 200 year life span.
Old 3rd September 2012, 12:20 PM   #8
chainbolt
The end is near?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoSmiley View Post
For myself I would probably content with a 200 year life span.
I would not want any longer lifespan if I would have to convert myself into such mixture of glibber and slime

Turritopsis nutricula jellyfish

chainbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 12:58 PM   #9
ikonz0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainbolt View Post
I would not want any longer lifespan if I would have to convert myself into such mixture of glibber and slime
I wouldn't mind being 8 years old again. I was braver, faster, had more energy, and mum still made my lunch

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
ikonz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 3:29 PM   #10
BuzzPuppy

...who would also be 8 years old as well, and both you and "mum" would fight to the death with no adult figure to stop the bloodbath.

[For Sale]Dell Latitude XT Tablet/laptop hybrid, x2 24" TN panel LCDs, mITX d/c Atom mobo
BuzzPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 3:54 PM   #11
ikonz0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzPuppy View Post
...who would also be 8 years old as well, and both you and "mum" would fight to the death with no adult figure to stop the bloodbath.
Not necessarily. If the aging process reverses at say 50 years old. then technically, if she was 25 when she had me, she would be 25 when I reach 50 and I'll be 33 when she's 8, so I can look after her and make her sandwiches

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
ikonz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 3:12 AM   #12
dmr Thread Starter

Scientists have been able to get worms that live just 20 days and increase their lifespans to 120 days by simply turning on/off certain DNA.

Mice share 97% of our DNA, yet a mouse lives just 3 years, humans can live to 120 years. Somewhere in that 3% of the DNA lies the clue that makes us live 40x longer than a mice.

We can definitely extend the lifespan of worms, trials are now being done on mice and mammals. Once that is successful, humans should be next. I see a time in the very near future (50 years) where parents have the ability to "enhance" their baby so it can live an extra 40-50 years, e.g. live for 150-200 years. It might be a controversial thing in the future where future politicians debate on whether this should be permitted or not because doing so would cause a huge world population crisis. In the end, I guess it will be available as a private service to the rich and wealthy.

Ah well, if we were born in 2050 we could all live 150-200 years.

Last edited by dmr; 5th September 2012 at 3:15 AM.
dmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:14 PM   #13
Joao

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmr View Post
Ah well, if we were born in 2050 we could all live 150-200 years.
I get the impression that people over 80 are not phased by death and some maybe even welcome it... I guess it would be different if your felt 40 at 100 instead of feeling 100. You might still be keen for another 100.
Joao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:23 PM   #14
thebranded

its not the living to an old age that i want, its maintaining a young body till that age.

Yeah humans can live to 110+ but i dont want to look like a 110 year old either.

We need to transfer our memories out of our bodies, then let the body (in a relatively short time) regenerate its self then transfer our memories back.
thebranded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 7:32 PM   #15
EuroSlave

Can you just transfer my mind into some perky Japanese girls body thanks
EuroSlave is offline   Reply With Quote