Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Photography & Video

Notices

Old 5th October 2011, 12:52 AM   #1
kwax Thread Starter

Default Share your bad photography job experiences/F#$% Ups.

If there has been a thread on this. mods. go ahead and do ur job.

Have to vent a little right now and get some thoughts off my mind.
After doing some event work and clubbing photography for the past 3-4months and having the time of my life meeting so many people and getting paid to party whist working and having so much fun, It finally gets balanced out and i have quickly gotten put in my place and grounded

I got off the phone 30mins ago and im just sitting here shaking my leg and just calm breaths
Some very angry and upset clients who were after some particular shots that i did not take. I didnt listen to my briefing properly and had abit of a overall lazy and tired attitude and 'over it after taking photos fri,all day sat-3am and then sunday'.

Self esteem has taken abit of a blow and im not sure how this will effect my reputation amongst the industrie. I am trying my best to take this as a big lesson but of course its eating at me.

I offerd to make it upto my client but they are too pissed off to even want to reply to my offer. O man.....

Last edited by kwax; 5th October 2011 at 12:55 AM.
kwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 6:22 AM   #2
Athiril

I left my lens set to mirror lock up, so I didn't actually take any shots on one roll which was completely blank :/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/athiril/
35mm, 6x7cm, 4x5"
Ask me about C-41 & E-6 processing!
Athiril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 8:05 AM   #3
Awesomesauce
(Banned or Deleted)

I got asked to do club photography once, but you actually have to go inside on club nights and be around the people so I had to knock it back for the sake of my sanity/ fear of intellectual osmosis.

My girlfriend borrowed one of my cameras just before a wedding, and when shooting said wedding I realised halfway through that she had taken it out of RAW mode. Good thing it was my backup, not too many shitty jpegs.
Awesomesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 9:22 AM   #4
wisie

A close friend persuaded me to take a group photo of their family (8 people) when i was first starting out (2006~). I declined many times as I knew I wasn't up for the job but after being quoted $600 by a local photographer I foolishly took on the job for free of course.

As expected, the job was a disaster. I thought it would be a good idea to shoot with the 50 1.8 at 1.8. Poor option especially when shooting a group shot of 8 people who couldn't sit still. Next was my choice of location and timing. Attempting to take photos in the early afternoon sun when it's harsh left everyone squinting. When I got home some parts of the family weren't so happy with how they looked on the day and wanted me to reshoot their face and photoshop them onto their bodies. Uhhh.

What did I learn? Don't be so easily persuaded by others, look up how others shoot big groups and find the right timing light wise.

Last edited by wisie; 5th October 2011 at 9:43 AM.
wisie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 10:51 AM   #5
bowds1122

^^^ I think that was more of a lesson for them than you...
Old 5th October 2011, 10:53 AM   #6
wisie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowds1122 View Post
^^^ I think that was more of a lesson for them than you...
Not to put your trust in amateur photographers?
wisie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 10:57 AM   #7
Deftone2k
In the Darkroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisie View Post
Not to put your trust in amateur photographers?
Dont push people into situations they say they arent comfortable in more like it...

Havent had any notable bad experiences of yet.. have thrown caution to the wind rather than overly jumping in the deep end mind you.
Deftone2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 11:02 AM   #8
triggerpeg

before i taped off the CSM switch on my Nikons, I accidentally bumped it to M during a run up the aisle with the BlackRapid. Did the whole 15 groups of people with non-focused photos.

Only realized it in the car to the wedding reception. Told the BG and arrange for group shots to be done at the reception.

Facebook Profile - LIKE!
triggerpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 11:43 AM   #9
Squeezer

Ive headed out with a 16 gig memory card which I thought I'd already formatted. Started shooting away at the support band for a gig. Before the main act came on I was previewing some shots and realised I still had the old images on there also ( about 12 gigs worth ). Obviously couldnt format the card as I now had new images on it so I manually deleted about 250 photos - Preview/delete/Confirm rinse and repeat.

Wasnt the end of the world but just damn annoying.
Squeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 12:16 PM   #10
Nafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeezer View Post
Ive headed out with a 16 gig memory card which I thought I'd already formatted. Started shooting away at the support band for a gig. Before the main act came on I was previewing some shots and realised I still had the old images on there also ( about 12 gigs worth ). Obviously couldnt format the card as I now had new images on it so I manually deleted about 250 photos - Preview/delete/Confirm rinse and repeat.

I bet you carry a spare card with you now?
Nafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 12:41 PM   #11
Jackolow

Quote:

That's where you risk the timing of 'delete all' and switching off the camera half way.! I think it deletes from the first pictures back.
Jackolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 12:53 PM   #12
xenorg

Quote:

I've done that before....I usually go the 'protect', then 'delete all' option, depending on how many new photos were taken.
xenorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 1:56 PM   #13
SyN

happened just last week

took shots for work and put the photos on the network
did some photoshopping on them and saved them in the same location

f***ing google picasa 'remove' would actually delete the edited photos from the server not just the from the catalogue. and for some bad luck the server backups didnt have my edited photos

lost about 4 hours of work...

The one hundredth member of OCAU Camera Club Mark II

Non-existant Fujifilm Finepix X100 club member #100
SyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 4:57 PM   #14
Squeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafe View Post
I bet you carry a spare card with you now?
I had a spare 4 gig card with me on the night but shooting RAW thats only 150 odd photos. Had time to kill manually deleting. I've picked up a few extra 16 gig cards since then though
Squeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 5:01 PM   #15
Power47

second wedding i ever shot on my own, turned up with 2 cameras and one battery haha, didnt matter in the end though, was on the long all the time anyway
i have spares everything now lol
Power47 is offline   Reply With Quote