Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Photography & Video

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 5th October 2011, 5:20 PM   #16
hlokk

Nothing professional, but lent my camera to my brother to take some pics and switched the res mode to low (only needed to upload, saves a lot of hassle). Didnt use camera for a bit til an overseas trip, then found out halfway through I didnt change it back

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 5th October 2011, 5:34 PM   #17
Jackolow

Nothing pro for me as well.. but I went to Sydney (from Melb) just for a day trip for the Sydney Motorshow. Lenses - check. CF -check. Battery... still in the charger!

Lucky for me I popped into a Teds and they got me a battery and charged it up for me. Yay for bricks and mortar show. Also gave me some time to sit and appreciate some cars without a bulky camera.. Turned out to be a good thing!
Jackolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 5:47 PM   #18
Sir.Eos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeezer View Post
Ive headed out with a 16 gig memory card which I thought I'd already formatted. Started shooting away at the support band for a gig. Before the main act came on I was previewing some shots and realised I still had the old images on there also ( about 12 gigs worth ). Obviously couldnt format the card as I now had new images on it so I manually deleted about 250 photos - Preview/delete/Confirm rinse and repeat.

Wasnt the end of the world but just damn annoying.
I did that at future music festival at the start of this year! was about 400 photos to manually delete and i was 2 bands into the festival so no format possible . I carry 2x 16GB cards and a few 4GB cards with me but shooting a full day festival with 2 bodies I needed both 16GB cards to be empty.

Also a few times i've gone out to shoot long exposure seascapes etc and found I've left the remote release at home, always check for that when i leave the house and before i turn the car on now.
Old 5th October 2011, 6:25 PM   #19
Frozen_Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisie View Post
A close friend persuaded me to take a group photo of their family (8 people) when i was first starting out (2006~). I declined many times as I knew I wasn't up for the job but after being quoted $600 by a local photographer I foolishly took on the job for free of course.

As expected, the job was a disaster. I thought it would be a good idea to shoot with the 50 1.8 at 1.8. Poor option especially when shooting a group shot of 8 people who couldn't sit still. Next was my choice of location and timing. Attempting to take photos in the early afternoon sun when it's harsh left everyone squinting. When I got home some parts of the family weren't so happy with how they looked on the day and wanted me to reshoot their face and photoshop them onto their bodies. Uhhh.

What did I learn? Don't be so easily persuaded by others, look up how others shoot big groups and find the right timing light wise.
I had the same thing happen to me back when I first got my film SLR.. apparently people assume that because you own an SLR you can take awesome photos of people, its all the camera of course right...

They paid for all of the film and processing, and most of the photos were very average. I did resist and warn them... but they guilted me into doing it. Probably a good reason why I've only ever dabbled a small amount in people photography, and don't really like doing it that much.
Old 5th October 2011, 7:16 PM   #20
Pinkeh

Only just started cosplay photography - recently ran into some people that wanted photographers to shoot them for a session :3 went out to the gig and realised i brought all my gear but no batteries.

So i drove back, got them and headed out again.

Next time i'll check my camera/batteries first before heading out.
Old 5th October 2011, 7:26 PM   #21
triggerpeg

Just let them know your cosplaying a photographer and the camera actually doesnt work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkeh View Post
Only just started cosplay photography - recently ran into some people that wanted photographers to shoot them for a session :3 went out to the gig and realised i brought all my gear but no batteries.

Facebook Profile - LIKE!
triggerpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 7:55 PM   #22
Pinkeh

You mean like Speed Grapher?

Quote:
Speed Grapher follows the exploits of former war photographer Tatsumi Saiga, who investigates a secret fetish club for the ultra-wealthy called the Roppongi Club. He tries to photograph the club's "goddess," a 15-year-old, exploited girl named Kagura, but is discovered. As he is about to be killed, Kagura kisses him, granting him the ability to destroy anything he photographs.
You dont want that power as a wedding photographer...
Old 5th October 2011, 8:34 PM   #23
nightbringer

I have to rewatch that now that I'm into photography ... just to see what stuff I can pick out.

IIRC, the main character shoots Nikon
nightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 8:44 PM   #24
triggerpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkeh View Post
You mean like Speed Grapher?
You dont want that power as a wedding photographer...
I read on and WTHeck....

Quote:
He tries to photograph the club's "goddess," a 15-year-old, exploited girl named Kagura, but is discovered. As he is about to be killed, Kagura kisses him, granting him the ability to destroy anything he photographs. Saiga soon discovers that Kagura's body fluids, like her saliva, can give people bizarre abilities relating to their secret desires, fetishes, and obsessions.....

Facebook Profile - LIKE!
triggerpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 9:13 PM   #25
kwax Thread Starter

Got a call today and Ive been given a chance to make it back up to them.
kwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 9:15 PM   #26
bubblegoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwax View Post
We need more details. Thread needs some closure!!!!
Old 5th October 2011, 10:52 PM   #27
Squeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwax View Post
All I could think of when I read this was a song by Regurgitator
Squeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 10:53 PM   #28
kwax Thread Starter

Id love to share but i dont think its wise to untill it gets sorted.

but to give abit of juice. Alot of people involved,middle men here and there. words got lost in translation and bad communication on both sides, mixed up briefings and priorities that turned into finger pointing and blaming all around.

End of the day. I know i stuffed up so im trying to cop it on the chin but of course other people's reputations have been damaged due to my stupidness.
kwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 3:09 AM   #29
rubix

2008 I was doing a job in China and arrived to find that I had forgotten to pack my battery charger, had to 2 batteries for 5 days of shooting and no charger within 1000km.

barely made it.
rubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 3:25 AM   #30
tompee

not a pro story, just a p&s story, but got offered a "once in a lifetime" adventure opportunity: to load my motorbike into the back of a small plane in Western Aus and fly over the Tanami Desert, Uluru, and Lake Eyre.
Lost my point & shoot on the ride up there taking boring landscapes on the side of the road. Endured plane trip with low flying over amazing scenery, along rivers etc without any camera.

EDIT - after plane ride I rode back to the area near Alice Springs that I lost it and scoured the side of the ride for 2 days looking for it (with all photo's of trip up to that point) while bushfires rages and burned the sides of the road. So I was just looking for burnt camera at that stage, but lady luck wouldn't even give me that
tompee is offline   Reply With Quote