Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Photography & Video

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 6th October 2011, 3:35 AM   #31
broccoli

OP, I'm glad you'll get an opportunity to fix things. People make mistakes, it's how they deal with them that's important and you've done the right thing in that respect, acknowledging it and doing what you can to fix it.

I'm not the photographer, but I know of people whose wedding photographer forgot to put film in the camera..... (yes, it was before digital)
broccoli is online now   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 6th October 2011, 4:13 AM   #32
methd

I had a bride who decided to write a review on me BEFORE she even saw the photos and BEFORE they even had been edited. The review wasn't bad but it wasn't that great either. Not sure how she could review the photos without seeing them.

She wrote it on a pretty big wedding forum and upon my explanation to the admins there, the review was promptly removed for me.

Suffice to say I spent a third the amount of the time I would normally have editing her wedding set, and the album didn't get any more work than a simple cut and paste in Photoshop - usually I'll put a bit more effort like taking out pimples, making them a little skinnier etc.

After the photos and album were supplied, low and behold... she wrote me a massive email saying how wonderful her photos were and how happy she was. I think she was just an emo bride.

BIG WTF.
methd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 8:57 AM   #33
Zee

Not a pro story... But having just arrived at a dive resort, I spent the night putting together the underwater DSLR rig - this means cleaning o-rings, screwing things together and making sure there are no leaks, lining up the dslr correctly in the housing so all the buttons work, setting up the 2 strobes....

Anyway, next morning, first dive, the guide takes me to the exact thing I want to shoot, a yellow pigmy sea horse. Turn on the camera, and am greeted with a "No CF card" message, with another dive still to go before the boat takes us back...

Z...
Old 6th October 2011, 9:11 AM   #34
Dave2972

Back in my film days I used to carry around about 6-8 rolls of film in various ISOs and used to wind them back into the canister after a few shots at a time to swap over to change the ISO. One time I grabbed what I though was a new roll and started shooting away from shot one and when I went to get it developed I found I had double exposures on one film for the first half of the roll and another roll that was only half used at the end. Bugger. Lost some good shots and half a roll of unused film.
Old 6th October 2011, 9:12 AM   #35
bubblegoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by methd View Post
I had a bride who decided to write a review on me BEFORE she even saw the photos and BEFORE they even had been edited. The review wasn't bad but it wasn't that great either. Not sure how she could review the photos without seeing them.

She wrote it on a pretty big wedding forum and upon my explanation to the admins there, the review was promptly removed for me.

Suffice to say I spent a third the amount of the time I would normally have editing her wedding set, and the album didn't get any more work than a simple cut and paste in Photoshop - usually I'll put a bit more effort like taking out pimples, making them a little skinnier etc.

After the photos and album were supplied, low and behold... she wrote me a massive email saying how wonderful her photos were and how happy she was. I think she was just an emo bride.

BIG WTF.
So did she say on the forum that she had seen the photo's?

Did you question her about it?
Old 6th October 2011, 10:48 AM   #36
jesh

Drove 2 hours south to shoot some real estate near a beach, then realised I'd gone all the way with no memory card and it was too late to find a shop out there in whoop-whoop.

Another time I drove an hour north to shoot a house in Elizabeth then realised when I got back that I'd forgotten to take a shot of the front exterior...somewhat important when trying to sell the house
jesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 11:11 AM   #37
Zee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesh View Post
Drove 2 hours south to shoot some real estate near a beach, then realised I'd gone all the way with no memory card and it was too late to find a shop out there in whoop-whoop.

Another time I drove an hour north to shoot a house in Elizabeth then realised when I got back that I'd forgotten to take a shot of the front exterior...somewhat important when trying to sell the house
Oh yeah! 4 hours drive + set up for a 1/500 exposure!

Z...
Old 6th October 2011, 1:59 PM   #38
methd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblegoose View Post
So did she say on the forum that she had seen the photo's?

Did you question her about it?
Yeh she said although the photos were alright, she felt like i was making her model when she wasn't one. she got that bit right... ask Justin

They gave us about 15min in one location, in the middle of the dandenong ranges, in the dark... and the couple had no emotion whatsoever. They didn't even want to kiss when I asked them. lol.
Old 6th October 2011, 2:27 PM   #39
bubblegoose

Quote:
Yeh she said although the photos were alright, she felt like i was making her model when she wasn't one. she got that bit right... ask Justin

They gave us about 15min in one location, in the middle of the dandenong ranges, in the dark... and the couple had no emotion whatsoever. They didn't even want to kiss when I asked them. lol.
Haha jeez what a spinner. Did she come off as crazy when you met her before the wedding?
Old 6th October 2011, 2:30 PM   #40
triggerpeg

Did you get detail shots of the razors they were using?....

Quote:

Facebook Profile - LIKE!
triggerpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 3:09 PM   #41
methd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblegoose View Post
Haha jeez what a spinner. Did she come off as crazy when you met her before the wedding?
she didn't but there was an inkling of a worry because she was the only client who ever asked to pay in repayments (before the wedding day). so i let her do that and she proceeded to pay a $4.4k invoice in lots of $200 every week or so. it was a nightmare with all the paperwork; I'm never going to do that again.

live and learn lol
Old 6th October 2011, 4:27 PM   #42
BRGMCS

not a pro job by any means, but I had a memory card fail at about midday on our very first day in Paris.... lost all of our photos from Napoleons Tomb, the Eiffel Tower, the walk along the Seine to the Grand Palais, down the Champs Elysee, and the Place de la Concorde. Only photos we have from that morning are about 15 from the little s95 I was carrying, a couple of rolls from a Holga, and about 5 from an old Olympus trip35.
Old 6th October 2011, 7:12 PM   #43
bueller

Oh man I've done the old "forgetting to format the card before shooting 400 frames" before, SOOOO painful when you realise the card is full and have to manual delete half the shots... These days I run a full checklist before I head out...

1) Batteries charged x 4
2) CF's formatted
3) Lenses cleaned (wouldn't believe the amount of times I've been taking photos with big smudges across the lens)
4) RAW set (had wayyy too many stupid moments shooting JPEGS at gigs and then get all sad panda when I realise as I'm downloading off the card)

Absolute worst was a night when I was flat stick running around a gig cos I arrived late, wasn't chimping my shots and was just briefly looking at the 2 second preview after each shot. Turns out I had the camera set to take photos without a CF so I wound up missing the first band anyway. You can bet I changed turned that off quick smart, NEVER AGAIN!
Old 6th October 2011, 8:53 PM   #44
Clippit

I took a camera with a plastic lens that I got from a $6 showbag to Europe (when I was 12) to take pictures of boring stuff like the Swiss Alps and supercars and Paris. Actually it had amazing sharpness and very little distortion at the wide end and had this very cute panoramic mode where it would cut off half of your photo. Best camera I've ever owned, so not so bad after all.
Old 6th October 2011, 10:03 PM   #45
Unframed

I've got a few only 1 was work for someone else.

I once got screwed into filming a friend's wedding. I was unemployed and had no kit. I was given my mother's low end consumer cam and told to go for broke. I got through it with shakey shots, wind muffled audio and somehow the battery made it. The real issue came up when I zoomed on the priest reading and the most horrendously huge hunk of snot slowly ran out of his nose and got to a point it could have touched his chin had he not been looking down. I couldn't really remove the shot off the DVD either as it was right before the vows.

Another time I was out filming for my project and on the way home I went to review footage. Couldn't find the camera in the car and i asked everyone where it was. No one knew. I assumed we left it at the last spot. On the way back tracing our steps we remembered the last time it was seen was in the hands of a friend who put it on the roof of the car before getting in. We then were just hoping it fell off the roof into the grass. When we got to the spot there were bits of camera all over the road. Someone ran it over after it fell off the roof. The tape survived though and we still have the carcass.
Silverstone FT02 | Intel 3570K (4.1GHz) w/ Corsair H80 | Asus P8Z77-V LX | Gigabyte R9 290 | Corsair FS 60GB, 1TB WD Black, 1TB F3, 2x 3TB Seagate | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz CL9 | CM quickfire Pro/Razer Mamba 4g | Seasonic X series 650w

BMPCC | GH1 | SLRMagic 17 | Sigma 19 | Samyang 7.5 | Canon 28 | Tokina 80-200 | Tamron 70-300
Unframed is online now   Reply With Quote