OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Photography & Video

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 6th October 2011, 9:06 PM   #46
Psyentist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisie View Post
Not to put your trust in amateur photographers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftone2k View Post
Dont push people into situations they say they arent comfortable in more like it...
Sounds a lot like my story ...

After 6 months or so of delving into photography I got roped into shooting a large corporate convention. Yep, total disaster. Basically shot all my socials at 1/50.

Luckily for me there was another tog there. And I was covering it free of charge.
Psyentist is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 10th October 2011, 11:59 AM   #47
triggerpeg

Wedding over the weekend.... did some ring shots and just realized that my reflections in all of them..ARGH

Facebook Profile - LIKE!
triggerpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 12:25 PM   #48
ElBeasto

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerpeg View Post
Wedding over the weekend.... did some ring shots and just realized that my reflections in all of them..ARGH
Clone & heal?
ElBeasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 1:13 PM   #49
TomJ

Some unfortunate stories in here, but you live and learn I guess. I'd hate to be in the situation of the OP, tough break mate but let us know how it turns out.

I need to start get'n paid for my photography but don't know where to start, I assume club photography is where to start but do you just turn up or go through an agency? Maybe then I'll have some stories
TomJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 1:24 PM   #50
triggerpeg

Ring shape + Diamond reflections x 3 are too complex for that... oh well... guess things cant be 100% perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBeasto View Post
Clone & heal?

Facebook Profile - LIKE!
Old 10th October 2011, 2:45 PM   #51
NismoR31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
I need to start get'n paid for my photography but don't know where to start, I assume club photography is where to start but do you just turn up or go through an agency? Maybe then I'll have some stories
www.inthemix.com.au
sign up and request to be a contributor. There'll be stacks of club nights needing photographers. You won't get paid but you do get free entry (obviously) & can build your reputation & portfolio. If you shoot a regular gig I know of many who've been then employed by the venue to shoot all their nights
NismoR31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 2:52 PM   #52
Modafroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoR31 View Post
www.inthemix.com.au
sign up and request to be a contributor. There'll be stacks of club nights needing photographers. You won't get paid but you do get free entry (obviously) & can build your reputation & portfolio. If you shoot a regular gig I know of many who've been then employed by the venue to shoot all their nights
This. Also get in contact with the getanightlife guys (I do a bit of work with them, one of my mates has just started becoming one of their rising stars haha, he gets quite a lot of side gigs), or the Perth equiv.
PC: i7 4930K | Asus R4F | 16GB Gskill | Asus GTX680 DC2 | XSPC Raystorm+RX360 | Samsung 830 256GB | OCZ Vertex 3 120GB | 8TB HDDs | Creative X-Fi Ti HD | Fractal Designs Define XL | Corsair HX1000 | Dell U2711+U2311 |
Modafroman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 3:30 PM   #53
Power47

had a wedding on the weekend, i didnt drink enough red bull, it was a disaster.
Old 10th October 2011, 3:39 PM   #54
Renza

took the battery out of my 5DII grip to charge, left without it (had the 2nd in there), did not realise for the whole night of shooting, 2nd battery had about 30% charge in it. lucky they last for ages though!
Renza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 3:42 PM   #55
Pinkeh

Went to a wedding on the weekend too. Found out i shot the entire set on small JPEGs.

Lucky it wasnt a paying job.
Old 10th October 2011, 3:43 PM   #56
Shortass_Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power47 View Post
had a wedding on the weekend, i didnt drink enough red bull, it was a disaster.
u were a little tired hahaha the problem is i ask a lot and you were much to tired hahaha how did they turn out mate?
Shortass_Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 3:54 PM   #57
kwax Thread Starter

Yay!

My agencie who hired me to do the job are very sorry for what had happened and were happy and pleased with how I dealth with the situation.

They said that the client was known to have that sort of personality and that they also have had issues and similar problems with him. They said that he should have spoken to them first before approaching me as that was very unprofessional and it may seem that i will get compensated for my time and efforts spent on trying to solve the issue

all in all. Ive learnt alot and it was a very good experience for me to go through...imagine if it was a wedding or something!
kwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 3:57 PM   #58
triggerpeg

Dan would forgive you...hahah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkeh View Post
Went to a wedding on the weekend too. Found out i shot the entire set on small JPEGs. Lucky it wasnt a paying job.

Facebook Profile - LIKE!
Old 10th October 2011, 4:01 PM   #59
Pinkeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerpeg View Post
Dan would forgive you...hahah
I had trouble with evening shots too. :{

I guess i should invest in some professional gear some day, but the kit lens and crop body will suffice for now

Glad it worked out for the OP too.
Old 10th October 2011, 4:10 PM   #60
Modafroman

I guess I could share my first experience with club photography. First gig, didn't have a proper flash, so I was using a manual flash (YN460, on the 550D + 17-50mm tamron).

What could go wrong, did go wrong. The tamron couldn't focus because of the lack of light and it being totally useless, and because the flash didn't have an AF assist beam.... so I would stand there mashing the shutter button trying to get it to focus, meanwhile the people were just going who the fuck is this guy. Eventually gave up and tried using manual focus, which didn't work due to no light, and the flash wouldn't fire on liveview for some reason. Eventually gave up that on account of the tamron being fucking useless and used a 10-22mm, which is what I used to get 90% of the usable shots. a UWA lens is horrible for people shots btw, utterly useless distortion. and then the batteries died and the spare batteries I bought wouldn't work.

Out of 200 shots taken that night, 50 were usable, and of those 50 most were badly framed due to me being frustrated, or had face stretchingness from the wideangle.

good times right?

Proper gear makes shit go boom now
PC: i7 4930K | Asus R4F | 16GB Gskill | Asus GTX680 DC2 | XSPC Raystorm+RX360 | Samsung 830 256GB | OCZ Vertex 3 120GB | 8TB HDDs | Creative X-Fi Ti HD | Fractal Designs Define XL | Corsair HX1000 | Dell U2711+U2311 |
Modafroman is online now   Reply With Quote