OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Photography & Video

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 18th October 2011, 3:51 PM   #91
Mr DOHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleary View Post
you wouldn't be using flash at the race track though would you?
no, im just talking about exposure differences in general

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleary View Post
...will assume nsfw...
nah, just bikini shots

1JZ Cressida, 12.85 @105.5
5Dc, Canon 28mm f1.8, Canon 24-105mm f4L, Canon 50mm f1.8, 70-200 f4L lots of AD360 flash gear
i5 2500K, ASRock Extreme3 Gen 3, 8gb Gskill 1600Mhz ram, MSI HD6850 Storm II, Samsung Pro 840 120Gb
Mr DOHC is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 18th October 2011, 3:59 PM   #92
Gadget_

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
It's not very nice making a family member work through a social function, either, when they could be relaxing and enjoying themselves.
It's even worse when you do it for a job and after a long days work some distant relatives expect you to come along to parties and functions they have organised and take photos so they can have 'nice pictures' to keep the memories. Pretty sure that's what snapshots and P&S cameras are for!

On the other hand, if I choose to take my camera ocassionally, then I enjoy taking pictures... It must just be something about being forced to do it!
Gadget_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 4:17 PM   #93
cleary
Mental in the Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr DOHC View Post
Easy solution, shoot manual
cleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 4:32 PM   #94
NismoR31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr DOHC View Post
it's no easier in manual mode. If there's changing light (patchy clouds crossing overhead) you just can't get it right half the time. You'll set up exposure then as soon as you start tracking a cloud passes over or the sun comes out & ruins it
NismoR31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 4:37 PM   #95
Nafe

Probably better off leaving the camera in TV mode and letting it do the work then. Unless you're very comfy with full manual on the fly, then the camera is more likely to get it right than you are. I use full manual when conditions call for it, and often in Tv mode because it's fast and easier and more accurate than me pointing the camera back and forth trying to change exposure on the fly. End of the day, capturing the action is more important.
Nafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 4:45 PM   #96
cleary
Mental in the Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafe View Post
Probably better off leaving the camera in TV mode and letting it do the work then. Unless you're very comfy with full manual on the fly, then the camera is more likely to get it right than you are. I use full manual when conditions call for it, and often in Tv mode because it's fast and easier and more accurate than me pointing the camera back and forth trying to change exposure on the fly. End of the day, capturing the action is more important.
I think we've had this discussion before - I still haven't had the opportunity to shoot at a track yet -

What metering mode do you use predominantly?
cleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 7:12 AM   #97
Mr DOHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafe View Post
i have my camera set to CFN 3.2 AF Priority/Tracking Priority, so when you take a load of images pointing in different directions (light beside you then light behind you) you cant really run manual. as i said, thank god the 7D has a pretty damn good metering system now compared toi the 400D.

i have just been given another oportunity to do the modelling shoot again, so hopefully this time we can do it better.

1JZ Cressida, 12.85 @105.5
5Dc, Canon 28mm f1.8, Canon 24-105mm f4L, Canon 50mm f1.8, 70-200 f4L lots of AD360 flash gear
i5 2500K, ASRock Extreme3 Gen 3, 8gb Gskill 1600Mhz ram, MSI HD6850 Storm II, Samsung Pro 840 120Gb
Mr DOHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 3:40 PM   #98
007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modafroman View Post
This. Also get in contact with the getanightlife guys (I do a bit of work with them, one of my mates has just started becoming one of their rising stars haha, he gets quite a lot of side gigs), or the Perth equiv.
i have emailed get a nightlife a few times now with no reply. sorta disappointing considering im happy to work for free.
007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 4:08 PM   #99
Deftone2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007* View Post
i have emailed get a nightlife a few times now with no reply. sorta disappointing considering im happy to work for free.
Buddy there are so many people giving it away for free it comes down to luck and who you know a lot of the time.
Deftone2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 4:50 PM   #100
checks202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftone2k View Post
Buddy there are so many people giving it away for free it comes down to luck and who you know a lot of the time.
+1

It's amazing the amount of people that do it for free. I've spoken to a few of them and they predominantly use kit lenses followed by mentioning they are photography students.
Really what it comes down to is your experience at the end of the day. How do you get that experience, well photograph family or go hunting for people or landscapes. This along with professional equipment goes the right way.

It's not easy but you'll get these with determination.. ( Well least thats what I'm hoping.. )
Old 19th October 2011, 4:52 PM   #101
Modafroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007* View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftone2k View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by checks202 View Post
+1

It's amazing the amount of people that do it for free. I've spoken to a few of them and they predominantly use kit lenses followed by mentioning they are photography students.
Really what it comes down to is your experience at the end of the day. How do you get that experience, well photograph family or go hunting for people or landscapes. This along with professional equipment goes the right way.

It's not easy but you'll get these with determination.. ( Well least thats what I'm hoping.. )
^

He gets hundreds of emails a week from people asking to get a gig, just to put it into perspective.
PC: i7 4930K | Asus R4F | 16GB Gskill | Asus GTX680 DC2 | XSPC Raystorm+RX360 | Samsung 830 256GB | OCZ Vertex 3 120GB | 8TB HDDs | Creative X-Fi Ti HD | Fractal Designs Define XL | Corsair HX1000 | Dell U2711+U2311 |
Modafroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 5:14 PM   #102
kwax Thread Starter

nothing wrong with a kit lens cropped body.
if you know how to compensate and use your flash a 18-55 kit lens can be quiet a deadly weapon..

also the weight and size make clubbing work much more pleasant.
kwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 10:03 PM   #103
007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modafroman View Post
^

He gets hundreds of emails a week from people asking to get a gig, just to put it into perspective.
Ahhh, makes sense then, I do quite a bit of photography, like I wont leave the house without my baby :P , but clubbing photography does interest me quite a bit, hence my interest.

Although an autoreply that says the above would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agg View Post
I just had a look through the last few pages of the most recent thread and it reads like a bunch of 12yo's congratulating each other on getting handies and roots.

Last edited by 007*; 19th October 2011 at 10:07 PM.
007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 4:15 PM   #104
Squeezer

I've yet to any major stuff ups, but I came close yesterday. Enagagement shoot and I offered to take my Studio lights and do some formal portraits also of the guests. Was setting up the lights ( One softbox and one umbrella ). I'd mounted the light for the umbrella on the stand but hadnt yet removed the protective cover that stops the modelling light and tube from damage. Plugged in the power and was crawling around behind a couch getting cables in order when I smelt burning plastic. Turns out that the power switch was on for the modelling light and those 100W globes get really hot really quickly when enclosed

Lesson learnt - always make sure the cap is OFF before plugging in Power The cover still works as I caught it fairly quickly but it left a foul smell in the room that hung around for an hour or so.

Squeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 9:01 PM   #105
kwax Thread Starter

Lol.. ive done the exact same thing.. had to replace the globe.
kwax is offline   Reply With Quote