Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Hobby Engineering

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 5th November 2011, 7:02 PM   #1
KevlarCoated Thread Starter

Default Reprap open source 3D printer

Im just interested if anyone has built a Reprap 3D printer?
If so what were your experiences? And how much did it cost you?
Im just interested in building one because it would be cool to have a 3D printer (and the experience of building one)
KevlarCoated is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 5th November 2011, 7:47 PM   #2
IMtech
(Banned or Deleted)

Very interested too. Been eyeing building one of those for a few months now...
IMtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 9:35 PM   #3
Odje

I think the Melbourne Hackerspace has made one. Maybe see if you can get into contact with them?

There are only 2 reasons why you should run,
1. If you are being chased or
2. If you are on fire
Odje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 9:38 PM   #4
Menthu_Rae

We've just purchased a Reprap Huxley for my work... should arrive in the next few weeks - I'll let you guys know how it goes.

We managed to grab it delivered for $730 AUD on the special mailing-list pre-order, it should be available for normal order on the 10th of November on the Reprap site...

Also, unless you know what you will be using it for, I would avoid buying one. We have the need to fabricate certain parts relatively quickly and to remove our dependence on our institution's workshop for small prototypes/testing... hence why we're going down this path.

Additionally- something to keep an eye on will be this thing... absolutely amazing if we can get this technology in the hands of the home user/small prototyper!

http://3dhomemade.blogspot.com/
System Specs: i7 3770K, Noctua NH-U12P SE2, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3-1600, ASUS P8Z77-V Premium, 2GB Zotac GTX680, 120GB/240GB Samsung 840 SSDs, 2x 3TB Toshiba HDDs [RAID1], 2x Zalman ZMMFC-1 Plus, Dell U3011, ASUS Xonar Essence One, Audioengine 5+, LianLi PC-A71B w/T-713B & W-75BP, 8x Scythe SFF21G, 1kW Silverstone ST1000P. 50+ Trades.
Menthu_Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 9:46 PM   #5
DarkYendor

Some guys from the Perth Artifactory (similar to hackerspace i think) have one. Last i heard, they were using one to fab parts so they could make more of them.

Also been thinking of one - but I'd want to fit it with a laser for making custom circuit boards.

Final note - don't try to assemble one of these and pass it off as you final year engineering thesis project. A guy at uni got reamed and had to repeat his project/thesis from scratch.
SERVER: | i3 3220 | 8GB DDR3 | 16TB + SSD | - BACKUP SERVER: | Intel D945GCLF2 | 1GB DDR2 | 8TB |
Successful OCAU trades / New blog & buildlogs
DarkYendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 9:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menthu_Rae View Post
Additionally- something to keep an eye on will be this thing... absolutely amazing if we can get this technology in the hands of the home user/small prototyper!

http://3dhomemade.blogspot.com/
That looks awesome, sadly from the sounds of it the cost will be prohibitive for individuals,

I just want it for the experience of making, interested in doing my own electronics because there isnt really a challenge in using someone elses.

And No I was thinking about using for an engineering thesis, thankfully i got that out of way a few years ago
Old 5th November 2011, 10:56 PM   #7
SCwerTA

I've got a Prusa Reprap which is pretty much mechanically complete, but still needs to be calibrated. I'm having a bit of flow issues with the hot end. I've been working on it throughout the year as well as juggling final year uni. So spare time has been hard to come by. Once exams are over I hope to fully complete it.

It's definitely been a fun build and project, though I haven't had much success in printing anything yet. My mate who started his build at the same time as me has completed his though, so I've been picking his brains for help at some stages (as well as getting him to print me upgrades ).

It is an open source project though, so there are many areas where there can be improvements. Its one of the interesting points for me as a mechatronics undergrad - being able to rapid prototype improvements and test them straight away. Of course there a myriad of other uses I have planned and many things on the thingiverse site I want to print.

I'm not sure how much I've spent on it as the cost has rolled on, but if i had to guess it'd be around $5/700. It did help that I split shipping on some things, so there was some savings there.

So yeh, if you've got any questions I'll try to answer them.

Click to view full size!
SCwerTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 11:52 PM   #8
NanoDuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menthu_Rae View Post
That's a type of resin laser-curing printer, isn't it?

Not quite the same as a RepRap, but still cool.
Old 6th November 2011, 8:44 AM   #9

ScwerTA where did you get your plastic parts from? And would you or your friend be interested in making and selling me a set?
Which electronics did you use?
Old 6th November 2011, 9:00 AM   #10
TERRA Operative

Another vote for the "I've been thinking about it' crowd.
I am looking for one to print parts for props and robotics etc.

What is the largest size these things can print? I would ideally like one that can print about the size of a motorbike helmet (but that's probably huge in 3D printing terms?)
TERRA Operative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 9:56 AM   #11
SCwerTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevlarCoated View Post
ScwerTA where did you get your plastic parts from? And would you or your friend be interested in making and selling me a set?
Which electronics did you use?
Yeah I'd be more than willing to help print Reprap parts out, just pm me for details. The electronics I'm using is RAMPs, it's basically an Arduino Mega shield. As with anything Arduino, very easy to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERRA Operative View Post
What is the largest size these things can print? I would ideally like one that can print about the size of a motorbike helmet (but that's probably huge in 3D printing terms?)
The workspace of the Prusa Reprap is quite large compared to say the Makerbot, having seen the Makerbot at the Melbourne Hackerspace. You can get about 20cm^3 workspace at maximum I'd guess, though there are a few things that can limit that. It'd depends on how you build it.

With larger pieces that exceed the limits of the printer, you can always slice your objects and print in different stages. One example of this is here where you can see the nose area is printed separately.
SCwerTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 10:09 AM   #12
NanoDuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERRA Operative View Post
Theoretically you print as large as you want, but you'll probably see flex issues in the beams at longer lengths, losing calibration.
Old 6th November 2011, 10:43 AM   #13

Im thinking of using the R2C2 electronics (depending on how much they end up being) initially, they just look to be nicest, and the most over kill, end goal being to build my own set from scratch but that will probably take a while to get around to doing

SCwerTA I PM'd you
Old 10th November 2011, 10:58 PM   #14
NanoDuke

There you go, who wanted a big printer? lol
http://lebigrep.org/

This thing is massive!
http://blog.makezine.com/wp-content/...01-614x407.jpg
Old 11th November 2011, 10:27 AM   #15
TERRA Operative

Wow, do want!

Is there a kit that allows for scalability? Ie, you get a kit that has the bits needed for the extruder, control, etc, and you make longer and shorter rails to suit.
TERRA Operative is offline   Reply With Quote