OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Geek Food

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 19th December 2011, 9:00 AM   #181
the scotsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by srhardy View Post
I've read that before, it was linked by the WP Expressi thread.

The guy absolutely bags it and calls it the worst coffee he's ever tasted....it's a fucking joke...

Free Stuff | OCAU Bargains Thread
the scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 19th December 2011, 9:14 AM   #182
srhardy

THATS A BIT HARSH, but everyone is allowed an opion & his is as follows...

* the machine can be improved by a mod (and this is overclockers after all)
* even though pods seem cheap its like $50/kg!
* not environmental with all the waste

Personally i found that;

* pods fit the MAP (officeowrks) system but
* pods dont have the same internal construction & that effects coffee extraction
* the 19 bar/temp thing improved with mod but now no warranty

ebay has a how to refill your own pods for custom/fresh coffee's too & you should try the OW MAP pods too

All good info and well worth the read! But IF your happy as is then congratulations, but you dont have much too offer anyone here then do you? Or as my mums told me, people that listen only to themselves never learn anything new!

As an example aldi have a bag for roasted beans, ready for grinding for $13 for 1kg or i can buy fresh locally roasted beans ofr between 20-30/kg so the pods are expensive and do generate a LOT OF WASTE. Thats a FACT, but does the ease and connivence overcome that? I know that a better machine can be bought for around the $500 point that grinds and gives steam for milk but its many times the cost of the expressi system. Both breville and sunbeam have great machines as does others (checkout ebay http://bit.ly/rKLtqt )

Personlay ive seen the SAECO ODEA GIRO locally for $499 and its the most awesome machine for the money as it has a steam frother (comes with the auto attachment now but i dont recommend it). It grinds, has no mess or waste and will pay for itself over time with better, fresher beans. But the expressi is $80 so i think for 1-2 cups a day its an option.

PS: for a cleaner, save money and buy a big 1L of vinegar and dilute to 10% with water and flush expressi once a month or so. It does the same job and the bought cleaners, is enviro friendly and a lot cheaper to do more often. Then flush with 1L tank of water and dont drink the first coffe out of it as it will suck believe me!

Last edited by srhardy; 19th December 2011 at 9:38 AM.
srhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 10:19 AM   #183
karn1911

The essential piece of information obtainable from that review is the empirical temperature data. The temperature is far too low for an espresso shot.
Given what I've read, the optimal temperature seems to be around 92c.
Initially, I was going to buy this just for kicks but after considering it; it's not really worth it if you already have a machine/grinder.
Old 19th December 2011, 10:22 AM   #184
srhardy

Somehow i dont have the manual for the aldi $20 expressi milk frother and cant for the life of me make a frothy milk without the following problem(s)

I fill to the top full and it overflows and leaks, pressure even pushs the lid up so i drilled a small hole in the middle of the top but it still froths to the point it comes out the side (and now eventually the top)

So next i fill to the two lower points and it froths but i dont get enough milk, i would have to do at least 2 or more to get the same amount as when i filled to the full point.

I did discover that holding the button on for a few seconds only heats milk (clever) & that if i use the flat milk stirrer with the ring (as a stand alone, it snaps off/on) i CAN fill to the top marker and get a little froth from the motion.

Ive got to be missing something???
Old 19th December 2011, 10:25 AM   #185
karn1911

I've used those cheap electrical frothers before and the only way you will be able to get a decent ratio is to heat and stir the milk manually without the magnetic spinner attached for awhile. After heating for a short time add the spinner in manually and let it spin for around 20 seconds before the thermostat kicks in and turns it off.
Old 19th December 2011, 10:26 AM   #186
Aratama_Bashi Thread Starter

Quote:
I fill to the top full and it overflows and leaks, pressure even pushs the lid up so i drilled a small hole in the middle of the top but it still froths to the point it comes out the side (and now eventually the top)
dude, of course you can't fill it to the top. there is a [MAX] level indicator for a reason.

Quote:
So next i fill to the two lower points and it froths but i dont get enough milk, i would have to do at least 2 or more to get the same amount as when i filled to the full point.
i did find that using the frother attachment makes LOTS of froth. like, the amount you would want only in a cappuccino. i dont use it anymore.

Quote:
I did discover that holding the button on for a few seconds only heats milk (clever) & that if i use the flat milk stirrer with the ring (as a stand alone, it snaps off/on) i CAN fill to the top marker and get a little froth from the motion.
1. yes, correct, and this is in the manual :P
2. if you use the little black plastic attachment (which is seated on the underside of the ring), you should be able to fill the milk to max, let it do it's job, and you will have the perfect amount of milk for a standard cup, with a nice bit of froth to go on top.

so what's the drama? i mean, obviously other than the fact that the frother only has capacity to do one cup at a time, which isn't a design flaw, rather, an intended limitation?

Last edited by Aratama_Bashi; 19th December 2011 at 10:46 AM. Reason: re-read post and changed response as appropriate
Aratama_Bashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 12:26 PM   #187
srhardy

Let me clarify. by fill i meant to the top max indicator and what i discovered was with the frother it frothed up until full and then spilled (pain in ass) as it was the right amount of milk & froth for me - alas it cant handle it.

Next i tried it between the lower min/max with frother, while it worked it was a lot of froth (bubbles) and almost no milk! Great for a small cup but no good for a MUG...

So then i experimented (its overclockers for a reason) and drilled a small hole in the lid, now the pressure form the heating does not life the lid BUT the frother will still leak (which sucks) and eventually makes enough froth to come out the new hole in the centre (didnt recon on that but anyway)

So next i filled to the TOP max marker but used the RING ONLY with the stirer so only the stierer spins and not the ring and i got a little froth and hot milk. Its not perfect but its ok... I know you can demand the size and features of the $100+ ones for only $20 but the lid thing sucks for sealing in froth (and ive tried two now, this is my second one after the first died)
Old 19th December 2011, 12:29 PM   #188

Quote:
Let me clarify. by fill i meant to the top max indicator and what i discovered was with the frother it frothed up until full and then spilled (pain in ass) as it was the right amount of milk & froth for me - alas it cant handle it.

Next i tried it between the lower min/max with frother, while it worked it was a lot of froth (bubbles) and almost no milk! Great for a small cup but no good for a MUG...

So then i experimented (its overclockers for a reason) and drilled a small hole in the lid, now the pressure form the heating does not life the lid BUT the frother will still leak (which sucks) and eventually makes enough froth to come out the new hole in the centre (didnt recon on that but anyway)

So next i filled to the TOP max marker but used the RING ONLY with the stirer so only the stierer spins and not the ring and i got a little froth and hot milk. Its not perfect but its ok... I know you can demand the size and features of the $100+ ones for only $20 but the lid thing sucks for sealing in froth (and ive tried two now, this is my second one after the first died)
wow, that's a bizarre coincidence to have two of them do that. as i said, mine does the job without getting cranky at all; no lid/spilling dramas
Old 19th December 2011, 12:34 PM   #189
Agg
Lord of the Pings

It's weird how you have to rinse it (the "shower" button) every time you turn it on. I just run the coffee through that button and then do a full lungo afterwards.
Old 19th December 2011, 12:51 PM   #190
srhardy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aratama_Bashi View Post
wow, that's a bizarre coincidence to have two of them do that. as i said, mine does the job without getting cranky at all; no lid/spilling dramas
So you can fill to the TOP max marker and use the capachino frother and it dosent overflow/leak?
Old 19th December 2011, 1:02 PM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agg View Post
It's weird how you have to rinse it (the "shower" button) every time you turn it on. I just run the coffee through that button and then do a full lungo afterwards.
yeah i noticed that too. what comes out when you push that is the absolute minimum... and it isn't hot enough. so i just do it and then make my coffee *shrug*

Quote:
So you can fill to the TOP max marker and use the capachino frother and it dosent overflow/leak?
sure can. can video it for you if you like
Old 19th December 2011, 2:12 PM   #192
srhardy

video please...
Old 19th December 2011, 2:27 PM   #193

Quote:
video please...
ok, stay tuned. sometime-ish... maybe tonight, depending on time
Old 19th December 2011, 3:45 PM   #194
StratosFear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
You have to read that as a biased review as well, given that he's compared it a few times to his BeanBay etc.

Also carrying on about it collecting dust etc - it seems more and more that he was down on this before it even started, also he didn't adjust the amount being dispensed from the machine but bags it out.

Not that I'm either way to be honest, I have not tried one yet (but keen on Chrissy hurrying up so I can play with the one we've got for the outlaws), but it just seems that he's not comparing apples with apples (kind of like a supercar magazine reviewing a Kia Rio).
He also suggests that these pods work out much more expensive than purchasing 1KG of freshly roasted beans from his store.... I'm not sure how he expects you to keep your 1KG of beans fresh. a KG of beans would last your average household probably like 6-8 weeks. by the end of the first couple of weeks his beans would be in a much worse state imo as they are not vacum sealed.

Most of his other points (landfill and dust magnet) really just seem like nitpicking. No shit their is landfill, it's a pod machine.

The temperature is the only real useful information he posted.

But as far as I'm concerned the minute he says that Nescafe Blend 43 is a better coffee, he loses all credibility.

Anyway all I can say is don't not purchase it based on this review. Aldi have a 60 day money back guarantee. You'd be stupid not to purchase one and try it.

(this is a general post, not directed at Baker).
StratosFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 3:50 PM   #195
flinchy

sad. i want one for an xmas present. all sold out atm
sad

cheapest place to get a nespresso machine? basic povpack one with a frother? lol
Originally Posted by Taceo Corpus View Post
BRB - building a Faraday Cage.
Thinly veiled "I'm wrapping myself in chicken wire".
flinchy is offline   Reply With Quote