OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Photography & Video

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 31st January 2012, 8:53 AM   #91
theicemagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdkhang View Post
Grab two cameras, one with the AA filter removed, and the other with it still in it (same cameras) and then take the same photos on both of them. Sharpen the resulting images. You will find that the Non AA camera has very little room for sharpening and that any sharpening will likely introduce sharpening artefacts. Do the same with the AA image and of course, seeing as how it was "blurred" to begin with, there is much more leeway for sharpening. In most cases, the differences between the two images will be near negligible. But in the cases of distinct/repeating patterns... the no AA filter camera will have a distinct disadvantage that cannot be recovered.

Which brings us to the moire reduction in PP... it can't be done reliably for anything that is not near-monochromatic in nature.

People tend to bandwagon hate on things... AA filters are just another helpless victim. They do far more good than people give them credit for. Except in cases where they are overly strong in order to mask noise.
I agree. however I might add to that, since switching to MF and with the lack of AA filter I have significantly greater usability from cropping.

I think one of the things many people did appreciated with the older 1D series (1Ds2 and below) was the 'not as strong' filter. Personally I found the 1Ds3's filter a little on the strong side, but was more likely due to the increase in resolution. Once you start working without one, you build a stream, plus with consideration to the tools now available, the ease of removing moire has been greatly improved.
Personally I do want to see a move to a removal of the AA filter on the pro lines. It's not likely to happen, but doing so we'll see a significant boost in the usable resolution of images, on the other hand, the quality of glass will take on new meaning. The faults won't be exaggerated, but they will become more obvious.
theicemagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 31st January 2012, 9:08 AM   #92
sir_bazz
Team Papparazi

Quote:
Grab two cameras, one with the AA filter removed, and the other with it still in it (same cameras) and then take the same photos on both of them. Sharpen the resulting images. You will find that the Non AA camera has very little room for sharpening and that any sharpening will likely introduce sharpening artefacts. Do the same with the AA image and of course, seeing as how it was "blurred" to begin with, there is much more leeway for sharpening. In most cases, the differences between the two images will be near negligible. But in the cases of distinct/repeating patterns... the no AA filter camera will have a distinct disadvantage that cannot be recovered.
Isn't that kinda like using two different lenses, (one good one and one soft one), and saying that the images will have negligible difference after sharpening?

Agree on the moire trade offs though and it's always a balancing act for designers in selecting an AA filter that gets the best micro detail out of a sensor without introducing moire.

GA-EP45-UD3P - QX9650 @4Ghz - 8Gb HyperX DDR2 - EVGA GTX 660 TI SC - WinXP/Win7
sir_bazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 12:12 PM   #93
hdkhang

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_bazz View Post
Isn't that kinda like using two different lenses, (one good one and one soft one), and saying that the images will have negligible difference after sharpening?

Agree on the moire trade offs though and it's always a balancing act for designers in selecting an AA filter that gets the best micro detail out of a sensor without introducing moire.
It shouldn't be. AA Filters are optical low pass filters that work in pairs along the horizontal and vertical imaging planes. As opposed to a lens that is simply blurry in a radial pattern.
hdkhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 12:31 PM   #94
sir_bazz
Team Papparazi

Quote:
It shouldn't be. AA Filters are optical low pass filters that work in pairs along the horizontal and vertical imaging planes. As opposed to a lens that is simply blurry in a radial pattern.
Yeah true about the imaging planes. I recall an older DSLR that registered extremely high extinction scores on one plane and only average scores on the other. It kicked off a fair bit of discussion at photozone at the time. Still though, if fine detail isn't recorded at the time of capture then it's always gonna be a struggle to bring it back regardless if it's due to a soft lens or the presence of a strong AA filter. I guess we'll see how the AA filter impacts the new Sony sensor once the D800 is released.

Old 1st February 2012, 7:59 PM   #95
VTi-RT

I don't think most people will complain with the idea that the D800 will allow you the option.

Coming from a D700 and all my previous bodies having AA meant I had no option to begin with, so this is a bonus in any regard.

Only a week to go now, i'm getting excited. Just bought a whole heap of lenses to play with
VTi-RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 8:23 AM   #96
sir_bazz
Team Papparazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTi-RT View Post
I don't think most people will complain with the idea that the D800 will allow you the option.

Coming from a D700 and all my previous bodies having AA meant I had no option to begin with, so this is a bonus in any regard.
Yeah I agree.

I like the idea of customisable bodies be it focusing screens, locking mode dials or body grips. AA filters take it one step further and I hope more manufacturers follow take note and follow this trend.

Because most of us are in the same position as you re AA filters, the D800 minus the AA filter may end up the better seller.

Old 7th February 2012, 8:07 AM   #97
Schnooper Thread Starter

Nikon D800 official pictures leaked

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/02/06/ni...px/#more-32716
Schnooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 8:25 AM   #98
chilloutbuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnooper View Post
Nikon D800 official pictures leaked

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/02/06/ni...px/#more-32716
groundbreaking desing
chilloutbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 8:33 AM   #99
jumpy

Needs more buttons, protrusions, and gold lettering IMO.
Old 7th February 2012, 8:45 AM   #100
theicemagic

Yeah, plus it needs a 'Coffee button', and c'mon... it doesn't even have a teleport button.
theicemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 10:48 AM   #101
triggerpeg

Is it me...or is it smaller than the d700? also alot smoother. Like a lot more curves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilloutbuddy View Post
groundbreaking desing

Facebook Profile - LIKE!
triggerpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 10:54 AM   #102
blixpho

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerpeg View Post
Is it me...or is it smaller than the d700? also alot smoother. Like a lot more curves?
looks like a canon :S
Old 7th February 2012, 11:57 AM   #103
^catalyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by blixpho View Post
looks like a canon :S
blasphemer!!!
^catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 1:04 PM   #104
Gaidin

Interesting that the official blurb references wedding photographers. Knew the resolution would appeal, but obviously they think it can handle the high ISO demands as well...
Gaidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 1:18 PM   #105
ElBeasto

I reckon the lines are straighter, like the D7K.
Although the curvy D700 would probably be nicer in the hands I like the new shape.

It does not look like a Canon!
ElBeasto is offline   Reply With Quote