3.5mm headphone jack replacement

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by supernom, Apr 24, 2012.

1. supernom

supernom Member

hello everybody

i need to replace the 3.5mm jack on my AD700's , now I'm just wondering if anyone knows any shop that will be open tomorrow that will sell them. I can think of jaycar but according to the website they are not open.

2. admiralranga

admiralranga Member

maybe try RS Components (1300 656 636)?

3. Gecko

Gecko Member

If you want it tomorrow, you're probably better off posting an offer for a 6 pack for anyone that you can pick one up from locally :)

I know I have plenty of them in the workshop, but I'm up in Syd.

4. spludgey

spludgey Member

Just get some old headphones and chop them off. Surely you've got some somewhere or know someone who does.

5. Piroteknik

Piroteknik Member

doesnt bunnings carry some connectors in their larger stores?

6. supernom

supernom Member

So I hacked together a temporary fix until the shops open and I can get a brand new good quality jack. Chopped off my current (broken) AD700 jack, expose 3 wires. Chopped the jack off an old pair of phones, (made a mistake, should have left more wire hanging off it lol )

Connected the new jack onto my ad700 wires. I put some PVA wood glue around the end to try and stop the wires touching each other on any exposed bit.

And it works! It's not perfect ( left is slightly louder than right ), but it's better than no sound at all.

http://iforce.co.nz/i/v0qudj04.ied.jpg

http://iforce.co.nz/i/0rbuesvq.lnj.jpg

Hehehe =D

I wanna get a new soldering iron and some of those alligator clips on a stand to hold it. I really struggle to get a nice solder joint, it tends to want to stay in balls. Hehehe

7. mtma

mtma Member

When doing wire chops I usually stagger the joints so they're not on the overlapping positions. This allows you to not have to use heatshrink or tape on the inside and end up with a nice slimline join once heat-shrunk.

On thicker wires it doesn't matter as much though, but the thin headphone style wires can be a bit of a pain for this detail.

ED-

Also for the adventurous you can actually re-use the moulded plugs with the careful application of a knife on the jack's moulding. you can tear the plastic off and get to the contacts of the TRS this way, and if you happen to be lucky these will be pretty easy to solder. If you're unlucky you can still use the jack, it will just be more finicky.

Then you can use epoxy or hot glue to reform the actual plug body.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012