A4 photocopier with the lowest total running cost? under 10 grand

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by echelon6, May 12, 2012.

1. echelon6

echelon6 Member

I'm looking for an office printer that has the lowest total running cost per page (so factor in toner, drums, maintenance kits etc)

A4 size, but could be capable of A3 as well, not fussed.

Not looking for a contract as I do believe self ownership is cheaper in the long run.

What models should I be looking at? thanks

2. NSanity

NSanity Member

kyocera is pretty tough to beat price per page...

3. Renza

Renza Member

Do you need colour at all?

Have you looked into contract, but buying the machine outright?

We recently got a Toshiba e-studio machine for under $10k, prints for b&w are 0.8c and colour 8c. our kyocera printers cost 1c per page (b&w only) so the toshiba is marginally cheaper, but does colour as well, and all the fancy MFC stuff too. So in effect, we only pay for what we print, no ongoing costs otherwise. the 'price per page' includes the cost of toner and replacement drums as well as any maintenance on the machine. the price for the kyocera doesnt, its toner only.

4. echelon6

echelon6 Member

I've already owned a Kyocera FS 4020DN and its around 1c per page bnw

trying to beat that ;P

5. Gecko

Gecko Member

Canon are worth a look.

I've also heard good things about Ricoh units.

6. gords

gords Thread Killer

Yep, look into a 'click charge' type plan. Generally 0.x cents per page for B&W and x cents per page for colour. Depending on what industry you're in and your print volume, you might be able to get some really good rates. Doing it that way means you can budget your spend (want costs to go down? Print fewer pages), versus never being sure when the machine might break and you have to fork out for a new fuser, drum etc. for it.

7. PhilDee

PhilDee Member

Our Ricoh C2800 is 0.9c B&W and 9.9 colour on a full service contract. Also does A3 and was well under $10k a year or 2 back.

8. echelon6

echelon6 Member

Phildee - so you had to pay "under 10k" a year on top of your usage rate? or was that purely usage rate?

Generally with these contracts, is it a usage rate of 0.x c per page, PLUS a fixed monthly fee, or just purely usage rate? and also any initial setup cost?

9. PhilDee

PhilDee Member

The unit to purchase was under $10k, dont recall exactly but somewhere around $8k outright for the unit, i could dig out the invoice during the week but it was going back a couple years so not that useful now.

The 0.9c for b&w and 9.9c for colour covers toner, servicing and all parts, labour etc. There is a clause somewhere that if your toner covereage is excessively high on average it will go up, so cant go printing full page photos for every copy.

Cheers, Phil

10. haydio

haydio Member

We use Lanier (rebadged Richos) and can't fault them, even with 1000 high school students using them

11. echelon6

echelon6 Member

What company were you with for this contract? Sounds interesting

12. empacitator

empacitator Member

It's a pretty standard type of contract.

You can either buy or finance the copier. This is separate to the service of the machine.
    Service contracts will generally be between .8c/8c and 1.2c/12c, black and colour costs per page (depending on the size of the machine, generally bigger machine lower cost per page).

In some cases you may be offered a 'pay per print' type scheme where the cost of the machine and the service is loaded into the same copy cost- eg 1.5c/15c and don't pay anything for the machine... downside is you will be locked to a certain amount of monthly copies for a 3/4/5 year term. Generally best to avoid unless you know what you're looking for.

You haven't mentioned how much printing you are doing, most of the time if you want a mid to heavy duty machine you will be looking at a copier which also does A3... not many heavy duty A4 copiers out there.

Hope some of the info helps

13. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

We have the Toshiba e-studio's here at work, and they are pretty decent machines if your users treat them right. ours are a few years old now, and I hear the new ones are even better (they have a totally new OS on them). I think we pay 0.8c for B+W and about 8c for colour (includes toner, staples, waste toner containers and maintenance/parts.)

The canon ones looked very decent as well. In terms of features for fleet management and follow me printing etc. (not that you would need that if it's just for the one machine). and their costs were very good too.

14. mikk

mikk Member

Not too impressed with ricoh reliability compared to the reliability of machines i've had in the past. Large Xerox, HP and Canon machines have all been very good to me in the past, but the Ricoh MP C2050 I have now seems to be a dog in comparison.

When it works it works quite well, (apart from Ricoh's rubbish OSX drivers), but there are always random little problems every few months.

At least the Lanier (rebranded Ricoh) machines are slightly cheaper for exactly the same thing.

Kyocera is hard to beat for value. By the sounds of it Toshiba is similar although I haven't had much experience with them.

15. Renza

Renza Member

from what the sales guys told me, you should avoid the new LED series. Stick with the proven laser based machines which are a few generations old. our mashine is a estudio e3540 and havent had any issues yet.

We got quotes from all the big boys (canon, lexmark, lanier, ricoh, etc) and the toshiba print quality was the best.

from what I've read (and heard), canon support is the worst...

16. echelon6

echelon6 Member

I do about 5000 bnw a week and 20000 bnw a month. No need for colour. So for your 0.8c per print, did you go through Toshiba directly for the contract or did you go through a dealer / distributor?

17. aokman

aokman Member

I think the Konica Minolta Bizhub C220/C280/C360 would be a good option in that price range. They have very good copy costs and it's single click for A4 / A3 - Single or Double sided.

You don't have to use the color but its there if you need it.

If your dead set on B&W the Bizhub 223 (22ppm)/283 (28ppm)/363 (36ppm)/423 (42ppm) are rock solid machines, very simple in engine design and very very reliable. They are single click also.

18. Copey

Copey Member

We have 4 Konica C220/C360 under contract at about 8c/.8c pp. & 4 Sharp MX4111n at 6c/.6c pp (government contract)

We have found that in terms of reliability, performance & ease of use the sharps shit all over the konica’s.

A couple of the sharp machines are doing 40000+ prints pre month without any hiccups

19. aokman

aokman Member

Are you dealing direct with Konica or through a dealer. You certainly have a unique experience as the newer Konica interface is much more advanced and i find easier to use over Sharps especially lol... The only downsides of the C360 range is they are not good with abusive users (teachers). Your pp costs are also a bit high, are Sharp charging single click for a3 and double sided?

20. Copey

Copey Member

We live out in the sticks, so we have to go through a dealer. Speaking with users of both the Konica's & sharps, they seem to be happier with the sharps & I must admit that I do find the Konica’s user interface to be a tad confusing…
    I’ll have to reconfirm this but I believe we are paying .06c per B/W & 6c per colour is that not a good deal? Toner & servicing is included in that price.