am3 cpu upgrade

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by ywn, Sep 13, 2015.

1. ywn

ywn Member

hi , i currently have a phenom ii x6 1055t and was looking to see if the fx8350 or a fx6300 would be a good upgrade ,
    i use my pc for gaming ,internet,video processing ,

other specs
    ram -20gb
    cpu - r9 280
    ssd hard drive
    mobo Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

2. Perko

Perko Member

If you can just drop the chip in and OC it, they are usually not a bad bit of kit. If you need to upgrade your board, you might be better to look in the FS section for an Ivy or Haswell i5 combo.

3. ywn

ywn Member

i shouldent have to upgrade the motherboard

4. damo13579

damo13579 Member

fx8350 would be worth doing, can usually pick up pretty cheap in the forums.
    i wouldnt bother going to a fx6300 from a 1055t, wouldnt be much of a performance jump

5. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

really depends on:

-If you're going to overclock
    -If your old chip was overclocked
    -your budget

Though it's looking like one of the 8xxx is going to be the way to go.. quite cheap now (well, by current AU dollar standards) . Yes they're hot and power hungry, but from a pure performance pt of view, as a drop in upgrade, they're good value, being cheaper than the cheapest intel quads.. But Much more so if you get, say an 8320 and OC it - Very decent perf/$ to be had then.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  6. Sologuy

Sologuy Member

Bit late to this but...

I would recommend 8370e - 95W TDP Octacore :)

7. demajes

demajes Member

also interested in some info re: 8320/8350 etc and if to aftermarket air cool or closed loop liquid for the cpu?

How do you find the AMD 6 core for video processing etc etc?

Purely looking at AMD rig as cost / cores / whole setup to get inc new screens

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  8. ywn

ywn Member

sorry i cant help much any more as i went to a i5 6400 ,hoping to go back to amd when zen is out and i see what the preformace is for it, but video encodeing with handbrake a full movie only takes about 30-45min

9. Sologuy

Sologuy Member

That would depend on what kind of clock speed you seek when OC'ing. Generally, air cooling is less hassle to install and easy to maintain for low to moderate OC's. However, one should always take into consideration the ambient air temps in the immediate environment when measuring system temps.

10. whirlybomber

whirlybomber Member

Sorry to unearth an old thread, but I have the same question as the O.P.

So after reading this thread, searching some of the advertisers on OCAU, then the AMD homepage and for a laugh Newegg (they post to Australia now - how long has that been a thing?) I have a question about the low-power versions of the FX chips.

I would like to get an 8370e like was suggested by sologuy, but I can only see the 125W version listed on the Australian distributors websites.

So then I looked at the AMD web pages and sure enough they list both an 8370 (125W) and a 8370e (95W).

Lastly I look at Newegg, and they list a 8320 (125W), a 8350 (125W) and a 8300 (95W)

So can someone tell me if it is possible to purchase a 95-watt 8-core AM3+ cpu in Australia? And if so what search term should I use?

11. _slacker_

_slacker_ Member

12. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

Don't forget you can always undervolt a 125w cpu, have done it on all my AMD non overclocked AMD CPU's since the Phenom II.

13. _slacker_

_slacker_ Member

thats true, and the 95w'er is really just an undervolted and clocked 8370. non-turbo is like 3.3ghz vs 4ghz. Both turbo up to 4.3ghz. I'd just go the normal 8350, undervolted ( I would Overvolt and overclock it :lol::thumbup: )