AMD accuses Intel and SYSmark of shenanigans

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by power, Jan 20, 2016.

1. power

power Member

to me it sounds like they are having a big cry as per usual, sour grapes etc, etc.

My advice to AMD - fight fire with fire. Strike back with good product, that's the only way to compete.

The article has a lot of commenters saying something similar - people do not like it when AMD does this kind of thing and they are making a habit of it as noted at the end of the article. The comparison to the VW dieselgate scandal is absolutely going too far as well imo and completely bizarre.

AMD slams “biased” and “unreliable” Intel benchmarks

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  2. _slacker_

_slacker_ Member

This to a "T"

Bring me an AMD CPU/APU that can whupass over an i7 or atleast keep up with one and then they will be back in the ball game and customers screaming for product again.

3. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Does anyone really care about Sysmark?

I look at gaming and video encoding benchmarks as that is what interest me the most.

4. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

:lol: "believed". So did the FTC.

5. The Brad

The Brad Member

Bingo - Intel's FP performance since the Core Solo has just smashed AMD.

AMD make all these claims about anti-competitive behaviour damaging their business but it just so happened to coincide with them falling behind.

They haven't put a really competitive general use processor on the table for years. They were the gamers darling.

Now they are just lying (Bulldozer) and claiming the victim.

Meanwhile Intel is innovating and dominating.

6. power

power Member

The press often use tools like this to measure performance and make pretty graphs.

7. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Yea but SYSmark? I can't remember seeing that one, like ever?

8. power

power Member

AMD have, and they don't like it - a lot. lol

9. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

This has been going on since AMD, Nvidia and VIA all quit BAPco over concerns with the tests.

http://semiaccurate.com/2011/06/20/nvidia-amd-and-via-quit-bapco-over-sysmark-2012/

So it's pretty obvious it would now be pretty heavily optimised for Intel CPU's.

I agree though they should just let it go now.

Dominating yes.. Innovating ? I don't think so.

10. The Brad

The Brad Member

Really?

i7 gets more and more powerful and efficient every generation. Xeon power is simply amazing these days per RU. Features like Quicksync genuinely improve real world applications.

Lots and lots of tricks developed for the portable processors mean now that more and more powerful processors are more and more power and heat efficient.

11. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

It would be a bit of a stretch to call evolutionary improvements in perf/watt 'Innovations' in the broader sense.

Quicksync, fair enough, but there's been many similar examples from other companies over the years.

Of the two companies though, It's AMD that's pushing for more innovation in the industry. Intel are quite happy to keep dominating an x86 only world for as long as they can.

And that's crux of the issue with Bapco /Sysmark

12. The Brad

The Brad Member

I hope it isn't like their innovations in the ARM space, because another disaster like that will be the death of them.

13. bennyg

bennyg Member

Somehow it seems to be shooting oneself in the foot to be saying "The benchmark is deceptive because it shows our CPUs to be more badly behind than we really are"...

14. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

I vaguely recall when the 2900XT came out that it had the same 3dmark score as the 8800GTX, however the 8800GTS? was also released and that was about 70% of the speed of the 8800GTX. When you benchmarked all three cards on about 10 different games the 2900XT was comparable to the lower Nvidia card.

15. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Yep , though 3Dmark06 came out well before r600 even existed, so not really the same circumstance, it just happend to do well in the benchmark, especially since it runs with no AA - which the 2900 sucked at badly.

16. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

Actually, it coincided with Intel being behind when they had the Pentium 4 vs the Athlon XP's, then Athlon 64's. AMD couldn't get market share despite having the better CPU at the time.

It was one of a combination of things that put AMD behind, which I would say included Hector Ruiz being absolutely useless.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  17. mtma

mtma Member

It turned out that single move bought them enough time to find out that they left their underpants with the Pentium Pro.

18. Unframed

Unframed Member

Intel are awfully non-competitive but AMD crying about it doesn't help either, drop a lawsuit like the Toshiba incident if you can prove it, otherwise drop Zen with one hell of a bang.

19. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

They could prove it. Intel's compiler did deliberately make slower code that would run on non-Intel CPU's.
    Sysmark would magically run faster on a Via Nano CPU if you changed the CPUID string from "CentaurHauls" to "AuthenticAMD", and even faster if you changed it to "GenuineIntel".
    Although you can't change the CPUID string on an AMD or Intel CPU.

Intel couldn't actually win the case, because AMD were right. What they did was drag the court case on over many years.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  20. Unframed

Unframed Member

Ok, you have a point but yes, Intel would drag the court case out until it was no longer relevant in the market and AMD would have gained nothing.