AMD AM1 Platform - Kabini - Seems to not have taken off?

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by julianvk, Mar 11, 2015.

1. miicah

miicah Member

Yes, I don't need the speed really. It would probably be cheaper to just undervolt the i5 though heh

Yeah software raid.

2. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

ZFS FTW :thumbup:

3. lionman

lionman Member

I just installed an android powered head unit in one of our cars. Goes pretty good. 2 sd card slots, two usb ports so plenty of storage. BT audio and hands free. Turn by turn navigation with voice activation. Reversing camera and dash camera.

Personally I think your crazy using Windows in a car.

4. Nian

Nian Member

Good, let me be crazy. But I'm doing it just the same.

On a side note. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note III with a 5.7" Screen, I also have a factory fitted phone holder in the center console. So it sits right next to me in perfect view.

5. miicah

miicah Member

Nah fuck that shit, EEC ram (tons of it) ridiculous limitations on drive sizes. I ended up umming and ahhing about it for at least a month before I stumbled on SnapRaid. With openmediavault/snapraid/aufs I have a weekly backup of my *cough* linux ISOs *cough* and a single share that all my PCs can see.

It can't restore file permissions though which is fucking annoying. At least everything is just sickbeard:users :D

6. pivot

pivot Member

The Little APU that could

I have just built a box for what could be called a "file server".

It consists of the following parts:
    AMD Sempron 3850
    Asus AM1M-A AM1 Socket HDMI SATA 6Gbs USB3.0 Micro ATX
    4GB DDR3-1333 (2x2GB)
    Skymaster PCI-Express to SATA III Card
    1 x WD 1TB Blue, 1x 2TB Segate, 2 x 3TB WD Green

Using the greens in a simple storage space connected via the add-in SATA card (does SATA3 speeds), blue has Windows 8.1 and the Segate is used as an internal backup drive.

This setup runs Windows 8.1, grabit, utorrent and Plex - all at the same time. No slow downs, even when accessing it from Remote Desktop.

Great CPU for what I wanted it to do - cheap and cheerful.

7. Unframed

Unframed Member

Just bought into this platform as a replacement NAS. I realised when my N2310's NIC died last night that the real pitfall to a NAS is that if I can't reach it via Network then I can't get my data. So I wanted something dirt cheap and low power, conveniently enough one of my distributors is clearing stock now they've been bought out and I picked up an AM1 setup and SATA/RAID controller for $60. Cheaper than any empty NAS and far more power than my 800mhz single core/512MB RAM Thecus POS.

Went with:
    Sempron 2650
    ASRock AM1H-ITX
    Corsair 4GB DDR3
    Astrotek AT-CPES6

Now for a fist full of 6TB drives

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  8. Nian

Nian Member

Any chance you could hook me up with two to four of the Asrock motherboards?

9. Unframed

Unframed Member

Sadly not, last in stock.

10. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

CPL claim to have those boards in stock

11. ErrorCode62

ErrorCode62 Member

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  12. PsychoticOrc

PsychoticOrc Member

I'm planning on running one of these as a file server in the near future to replace a 2500k setup I've had running for the last year or so.

I read somewhere that these support ECC memory which would be pretty awesome as I have 2 sticks sat doing nothing currently. All this would do is serve files and run a minecraft server for my children so at most maybe 3 users but more often than not just two.

I've read conflicting posts about the pci-e x16 slot (which runs at x4) not being fast enough for a raid card. I was planning on running something along the lines of a HighPoint RocketRAID 2680.

When I do get it up and running i'll let you guys know how it performs, but i'm not expecting to many issues. The pci-e bottleneck might occur when the initial transference of files from my old server to the new but once that's done its all media files so pretty static anyway.

13. Nian

Nian Member

PCI-e V2.0 x4 is still 2GB/s. If you think that it will bottleneck conventional hard drive raids. WOW! ;)

14. Unframed

Unframed Member

Beat me to it.

15. PsychoticOrc

PsychoticOrc Member

Mate I ain't no expert :p if that's the case then that's great :) so I take it a x1 raid card would bottleneck then? as that was the other option I was thinking of going with so that I could use.

16. Unframed

Unframed Member

Perhaps SSDs but a 1x should still outdo a mech 7200 SATA RAID

17. lionman

lionman Member

If its a file server then you likely bottleneck will be the nic. Internal transfers would likely be affected by only a single PCIe lane though.

18. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

While this is not strictly AM1 as the Kabini in question is the BGA variant, I'm quite impressed with what my little server running on a 15w A4-5000 APU can do.

I'm using the QC5000-ITX/WiFi board, and replaced the wifi card with a mini PCI-E sata card for a total of 6 Sata ports.

It's currently running Linux, with 4 HDDs in Raid 5 and a SSD for the os. I'm using it to do DHCP and DNS, Samba for sharing files and printers, and a windows 2012 server running using KVM to run a few windows services and SQL Server which I need for the work I'm doing, as I run linux as my primary OS. It also has a TBS Quad TV tuner card in it and tvheadend to stream TV to my media centres.

Despite the CPU having a 15w TDP, it has more than enough grunt to run everything, and the windows VM runs surprisingly well.

19. jji7skyline

jji7skyline Member

Did you guys see JayzTwoCents' latest video with the sub-400USD gaming PC build? He paired a AM1 platform with a R9 380 and got playable framerates at 1080p in games like CS:GO and Doom on high settings. Impressive for such an affordable platform!