AMD Vega GPU

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Agg, Jan 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Agg

Agg Administrator Staff Member

CES is underway in Las Vegas, and as usual there are lots of new product announcements. One of the big ones is AMD's Radeon Vega GPU architecture.

Conceived and executed over 5 years, Vega architecture enables new possibilities in PC gaming, professional design and machine intelligence that traditional GPU architectures have not been able to address effectively. Data-intensive workloads are becoming the new normal, and the parallel nature of the GPU lends itself ideally to tackling them. However, processing these huge new datasets requires fast access to massive amounts of memory. The Vega architecture's revolutionary memory subsystem enables GPUs to address very large data sets spread across a mix of memory types. The high-bandwidth cache controller in Vega-based GPUs can access on-package cache and off-package memories in a flexible, programmable fashion using fine-grained data movement.

But, to quote PC Perspective: Let’s be clear: today does not mark the release of the Vega GPU or products based on Vega. In reality, we don’t even know enough to make highly educated guesses about the performance without more details on the specific implementations. That being said, the information released by AMD today is interesting and shows that Vega will be much more than simply an increase in shader count over Polaris. More coverage on Tweaktown, Guru3D, Tech ARP, Tech Report, HotHardware and TechPowerUp.

[ HyRax1 edit: A couple of this-thread-only rules have been imposed. Please read this post before making any new replies. ]

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2017
  2. martini.txt

martini.txt Member

Subbed... etc.

I so want this to be good, I probably won't be buying one (got sick of waiting so picked up a 1080), but I really don't want to go NVIDIA for a 4th time in a row next upgrade cycle... lay a good groundwork for future gear pls AMD

3. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Subbed here too.

Im going well with 980Ti so Im ok for a while, Im watching this with great interest.

:thumbup:

4. WJR

WJR (Banned or Deleted)

This needs to be really really good to gain back some market share because Nvidia has had the high end all to themselves for months now. Also who knows what Nv has up their sleeve to counter punch whatever AMD brings with Vega.

5. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

Assuming AMD are targeting the Titan X then it could be interesting.

6. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Thats a big call when they have nothing between that now, big expectations for vega

7. lowdog

lowdog Member

AMD Vega is targeting Volta! Going straight for the jugular. :leet:

1080ti is obsolete before it was ever spun and now won't even see the light of day. By the time NVidia get Volta out the door in 2018 AMD will be in a position to do their refresh and beat all that NVidia launch at the time.....tables could be about to turn....which is a goooood thing for all us consumers = win win. :)

8. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Thats only if they get the upper hand early, if AMD is playing catchup then nvidia will always have a trump for them.

Good luck, seems like a big leap with nothing to prove they can even get close (other than promises).

1080Ti is hardly obselete when nothing from AMD can even touch 1080 ... 1080Ti isn't obselete, it has no competition but lots of demand from 4k gamers.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  9. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

Jen-Hsun didn't even announce the 1080Ti. Card is dead :D

10. WJR

WJR (Banned or Deleted)

http://techreport.com/review/31224/the-curtain-comes-up-on-amd-vega-architecture/4

So roughly between 1070 and 1080 after all this time, am I missing something or is this just another epic AMD fail? :paranoid:

11. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

The last comparision I saw had it beating the 1080 by about 15% so not sure how TR decided its between the two.

12. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

haha doesnt matter what they call it, there will be something after 1080 ....

That places it right in the path of a 1080 undate, not enough to challenge Volt I think.

13. lowdog

lowdog Member

AMD would have been playing "catch up" if they had of tried to compete with NVidia Pascal with Polaris updates but they didn't, they bit the bullet and went all out with Vega which is targeted at competing with Volta. It should be out by mid year where as Volta won't appear till 2018, AMD will definitely have the upper hand in this scenario.

And yes 1080ti is dead.

14. lowdog

lowdog Member

Clutching at straws. Fury X was just training wheels, now the training wheels are coming off.

Between 1070 and 1080 performance....pfffft.....green team fan boys will have a cry when this beast comes out. :lol:

15. _slacker_

_slacker_ Member

Have been holding out against all these temptingly cheap 980ti's for Vega in the belief AMD will nail it and its starting to look pretty hopeful :thumbup:

Got the dollars sitting there waiting for this and a nice Ryzen/Mobo combo finally back to an all AMD rig that can kick some ass

I need a like button for this :lol::lol: :weirdo:

16. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Now that's clutching at straws, you mean "I hope this thing lives up too expectations ..." :lol:

Wasn't the RX480 supposed to beat 1080 for the price of a 1070, or something like that?

All good, I hope AMD do well with this.

Having been away from AMD since R290x, do AMD lock their voltages down like all modern nVidia gpus do? Or will overclockers still have something to tinker with?

17. WJR

WJR (Banned or Deleted)

When is it coming out again? Meanwhile Nvidia is just raking in that cash. :thumbup:

Vega might be good but after the lulzy fails of bulldozer, their terribad drivers and dismal market share I think I'll reserve judgement until this vapourware becomes a reality.

18. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Last 36 hours been a major case of blueballs

19. lowdog

lowdog Member

Vega release is scheduled for sometime in first half 2017 and AMD just showcased working silicone so it's not vapourware.

20. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

They could have had anything in that taped up case, could have been 4x Fury's for all we know ...

Long wait ahead I see ....