AMD Vega GPU

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Agg, Jan 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

what is an RX480 worth these days used (never been mined on) non reference twin fan model (cant remember brand off top of head)

2. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

by 'over cooled' I mean when you power limit/under volt and then Force Fan speeds to high levels you end up with core temps much lower than out of the box target temps and/or achievable temps with an overclock.

you do this (when mining) to further increase efficiency. unless of course your rig is in the bedroom.

PS if you read the link you provided, you'll see MTBF formula is A. based on the MTBF of individual components.. it's when you drill down into the MTBF of these components that you see it varies with operating temp and Voltage/current Parameters.

My argument is these temperatures and voltages are often lower for mining cards.. and when they are, you have to take that into account when assessing the effect mining has had on life expectancy vs a typical overclocked [in particular] gaming card.

I'd go so far as to say the out of the box fan profiles are more detrimental to card life.. Manufacturers will always prioritise making there cards quiet, and have no qualms about running everthing at blazing temperatures.. often 80, 90c, as long as it can last ~5 yrs or so in typical use.

Anyway, this is all way off topic. and maybe someone who wants to continue this debate can start a thread.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  3. partybear

partybear Member

I wouldn't buy them at the prices people are asking right now, but once they tank in value I would get one. It would need to be like half price of a new one to be good value.

4. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Looks like most reviewers got samples, heaps of unboxing's but doesn't leave much time for reviews...

Seems like Gamers Nexus was left out this time with Joker & AdoredTV getting samples. Most reviewers got the plastic version of the 64, Paul got the limited edition, and AdoredTV got the liquid cooled version.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  5. terroristone

terroristone Member

I'm glade Jim @ AdoredTV got a good sample, love watching his videos and the amount of detail he goes into is above and beyond anyone else, Gamers Nexus does have good content from time to time but its easy to loose interest as he often starts rambling on. Steve from Hardware Unboxed is also good, but his side kick Tim I cannot stand watching.

T1

6. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Yeah he was surprised he got a Threadripper review sample and considering he got the watercooled Vega is pretty big I think, shows AMD have at least some confidence in him to send the highest end one out.

I don't really care about Gamers Nexus tbh and I think it's no big loss if they didn't get a review sample, to boring, rambles and I just get the feeling that in person he'd be a know it all prick.

7. maxrig

maxrig Member

Not too surprised AdoredTV and Joker got the reviewing samples from AMD since they're the 2 biggest AMD fanboy. I'll definitely be following Steve from HardwareUnboxed to do an unbiased review on Vega.

8. terroristone

terroristone Member

Perfect candidate to do a sneako on with a pair of scissors and cut his mop off, his reaction would be priceless.

https://youtu.be/7m7ewouLQXA

9. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

I typically hate all video reviews, so out of those lot, I don't really care :lol:

10. Geno

Geno Member

100% agree, I thought I was the only one that saw him to have a magical sedative effect.

His lifeless and monotone voice crits me everytime, its super effective.

11. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Adored seems to be a really decent guy, he sounded genuinely stoked in his Threadripper and Vega unboxing clips as well.

Gamers Nexus while he is a bit dry and does ramble on, is one of the few reviewers I actually trust to understand what he's talking about, well researched and relatively unbiased.

That Vega FE liquid in Adored's unboxing was sexy AF, while it is a bit of a waste I do appreciate decent packaging, it does make you feel real good (by design) after spending all that money on hardware.

I have a GTX 1080 in both mine and my partners pc's (1440P, identical spec Ryzen systems) pretty keen to get one of the Vega 64 liquid and just will just wear the cost (hopefully not too steep). Most reviewers only test flagship AAA or popular titles so it's good to roll with both brands for science (personal interest) based off the games I actually play.

12. ADV

ADV Member

Anyone a little apprehensive with Vega RX 64's (air) - 750w PSU requirement.

And on gigabytes site, 1000W! for just one Vega 64 (water).

o_O

13. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

The PSU isn't exactly a "requirement" just a suggestion, Vega will pull at most 375w, so any decent 700w will power it no problem, 850w sliver or gold rated just to be 100% sure.

14. terroristone

terroristone Member

He definitely is, ive had a few private convos with him over the past 6 months.

15. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Dunno if anyone else seen this but according to Reddit,
    So 11pm tomorrow are when reviews should go live, I'm really hoping we get Aus pricing for both cards as well but it'll probably just be for the 64 version :mad:.

Edit, Also Tom's Hardware stripped down the card already and looks like they stuck an AIO to it to.

16. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Great comment there

"
    I really hope this unboxing the boxes, unboxing the product, putting the product on a motherboard, showing the fans spin and RGB lighting turn on, etc. all with different embargo dates before the actual review all in separate coverage stories thing isn't going to become the norm. The intent is clearly to generate hype but the net effect for me feels more like stall burn-out - by the time the actual review comes out, I'm tired of hearing about it from redundant and only marginally relevant coverage."

17. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Yeah I'm a Patreon, have queried him a few times, always get a good response.

Yeah but you don't have to watch them, sure it can be a bit hypey, but it gives those who are actually excited for the hardware a little something-something.

It's also a good way to show off the product a bit instead of everyone just skipping through to the benchmark tables - and when those tables do come out, it can be a clip only on performance instead of half a video of "unboxing, putting in motherboard, showing the fans spin up" :p

18. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

I don't see an issue with hyping any product to the max, as long as it can live up the hype.

This one though bit of a meh, maybe I was expecting another Ryzen like gamer changer, but it turned out to be value card.

19. power

power Member

The hype is beyond stupid they aren't even retail box they are press kits ffs.

20. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

You mean the Vega hype that's been going on all year? Dunno, but I can appreciate cool packaging even if it's for reviewers only and doesn't really do anything other than look cool.