Amd wraith?

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by vearing89, Oct 12, 2017.

1. vearing89

vearing89 New Member

Hey all!
    Just a question quickly :)
    I've recently decided to upgrade my AM3 platform to a shinny new AM4 1600 on a asus b350 strix. My question is that I already have the AM3 wraith and it fits the AM4 socket, is it worth me using that over the wraith spire? As the AM3 wraith was originally designed for a much higher tdp chip.

Cheers!

2. GTR27

GTR27 Member

I'd stick with the one that comes with the ryzen. Its good enough to start with, and no potential fitment issues.

If you want more cooling, get a hold of a better AIO or watercooling setup (unless you're keen for huge noise)

3. TaroT

TaroT Member

the wraith is the copper based one with heatpipes? i,m not sure what comes with the 1600 but from memory it is just the basic cooler so i think the wraith s long as it makes good die coverage would be better...test them both and choose :)

otherwise yeah a cheap 120 mm aio watercooler will easily tame it i have one on my daughter 1600x

4. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

Get a noctua before some pos all in one water cooler. Especially if you want silence and reliability.

The stock ryzen is a good cooler and I would use it. Its fan seams quieterthe the old wraith.

5. vearing89

vearing89 New Member

yeah the old wraith is the one with the copper baseplate and heat pipes, which wasn't too loud on the FX series, but i've already got a H80i V2 i just need to get a mounting bracket, which Umart was currently sold out of sadly.

As for noctua, i've looked at them, and performance aside i generally hate the colour :( I did look into Cryorig or Bequiet but i wasn't sure on their compatibility.