AMD X2 6000+ overclock

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by ryanmcdonald223, Nov 2, 2008.

1. ryanmcdonald223

ryanmcdonald223 Member

as the title says, I'm trying to overclock my 6000+ but the highest I can achieve and still be able to boot into windows is around the 3.4 mark. Just wondering if there's any way around windows shitting itself at higher clock speeds. Heat isn't the issue.... I'm running it on water

2. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

15 x 227 at 1.45v set in the BIOS did it for me on air.

[​IMG]

Day to day I run at 3300MHz.

Cheers

3. VenomX-87

VenomX-87 Member

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  4. ryanmcdonald223

ryanmcdonald223 Member

Thanks, so it's looking like 3.405 is the highest it will go :( o well better than stock i suppose. Also I just realised that I got gypped into a 1mb L2 cache 6000+ some how even though the one I ordered specifically said 2mb... hmmm. Also does your rig run stable with the HT link at 1135? I've heard bad things about 1100+

5. VenomX-87

VenomX-87 Member

depends on the motherboard, some will cope with 1200 but some don't like anything over 1050 :S
    Download N-tune, go into motherboard settings and drop the HT multiplier to x4 if you don't want to risk it, That is what i have done even tho it was running stable at 1100+
    I was told as long as its over 700-800 it wont really make a difference in performance.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  6. japes

japes Member

Highest I can get stable on air is 3.3ghz.

7. magicalsteve

magicalsteve Member

Just curiously, what sort of 3dmark06 improvements did you guys see bumping your 6000's up to 3.3/3.4?

8. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

So you've got a G2 stepping Brisbane X2 6000+ ?!?! So the OPN is ADV6000IAA5DO (CPU) and ADV6000DOBOX (PIB) and it has a max CPU Multiplier of 15.5? That's the first one I've heard of in the wild so to speak.

Here's one I found at over 3400MHz on the CPUz validator:

[​IMG]

9. ryanmcdonald223

ryanmcdonald223 Member

Yes, oddly enough I somehow ended up with a 1mb cache 6000+. I was unaware they even existed until i actually looked at that bit in CPU-Z yesterday. turns out the stock speed is 3.1GHZ too... interesting. As for the other really long numbers you posted I have no idea what in the fuck they mean. Although I am sure that I got gypped and I'm thinking of some angry email action to umart. I don't know all that much about the technical specs and shit like that but I'm confident in saying 3.0GHZ w/ 2mb cahce > 3.1GHZ w/ 1mb.

As for the 3dmark results... I'm at work currently so I will clock it back to stock when I get home and post the difference with the max overclock I can achieve... its looking like 220x15.5. Damn you AMD you used to overclock so well! I've owned AMD/Nvidia computers since I started building systems at age 12, but I'm seriously considering a e8600 just so I can utilize my water cooling properly. At least my GTX 260 overclocks like a beast

10. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

I wouldn't say you've been 'gypped' by Umart. The 3.1Ghz 6000+ essentially replaces the 2Mb version. Not saying it's YOUR fault or anything at all, but it's not really reasonable to expect Umart to update their website details on such a petty thing for 99% of customers. This is likely the first bunch of 3.1 models to come in, as CBJ said I haven't seem them anywhere.

Anyway, yeah an E8600 would be a better choice for such a video card. or perhaps wait a little for the Deneb AMD Quads so u can just slot one in your current board, they will leave your 6000 for dead single threaded (not as much as an E8600 would though) , and destory either for multithreaded obviously

11. ryanmcdonald223

ryanmcdonald223 Member

fair enough, on a side note... any news on when AMD is gonna drop some kick ass new processors on us to compete with Intels current market domination? hopefully I can overclock the tits off one of them in the foreseeable future...

12. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Deneb isn't going to knock the socks of anything, but I guess we'll see how much it closes the gap.. and overclocks for that matter, still may be quite a decent CPU for the price.

As for the very high end, an server, which Intel is right on top of.. well assuming Bulldozer is still going as planned (Who knows) - early 2010 is their next shot.