AMD’s Next Gen x86 High Performance Core is Code Named “Zen”

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Frontl1ne, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

do you have a link to this as it has been the biggest deal breaker for me and getting a TR system? I cant find any info saying this is happening or when?

2. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

Because there is no timeframe other than AMD saying they will enable it in future.

3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I was under the impression that the biggest deal breaker for you was 'Intel performs better, despite the cost'. This has been a consistent viewpoint from you? Have you even mentioned M.2 RAID in any of your posts? (That's a genuine question, not a statement or a dig. You post a lot, I could easily have missed any comments about RAID)

4. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

yes I use 3 x m.2 drives 2 x are raided and ive mentioned it several times.
    I also have 5 x 250gb ssd's but I can still only use 4 x on my current board with the 3 x m.2 drives in use--I would like to get my 5 disk array back as well.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=17583505&postcount=119
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=17581013&postcount=85
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=17581177&postcount=90
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=17600052&postcount=441

Cost is always a consideration, if cost was not a consideration for me I would have a 7900x not a 7800x and I would not have bought the ryzen system first before moving it on.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  5. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

They aren't for gaming, although there is gaming branded motherboards.. Bit stupid..

I think TR is not overpriced at all, especially when it is handing it to high end xeons.. https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

The 1900x which is out soon is 8 core.

6. OJR

OJR Member

The switching of the memory mode was the dealbreaker for me. Needing to switch modes, rebooting and in the process losing half my cores so that RAM modules can be localised seems a bit messy to me. It's borderline as stupid as X299. I have cancelled my Threadripper order and going back to Ryzen 7.

I was looking forward to TR, but having to go through this process when I want to game is a major pain in the arse.

7. stergiopilus

stergiopilus Member

How about you just leave it on the one setting. Game mode in some games is worse, and in others at best 5% better. I'd doubt you'd normally be able to tell the difference with that small a difference.

8. OJR

OJR Member

How about if I buy a multi core CPU, I shouldn't have to disable cores to get the best performance?

9. PureFire

PureFire Member

I also think that the games which had a large performance drop while using all cores will eventually get patched and become a non issue, so the game mode will be a little redundant. The other thing you could probably do, which I dont think was tested in reviews?, is setting the affinity for the game to not even see beyond 8 cores and eliminating the need for data to be moved between dies.

10. Metora

Metora Member

But, if you read into it, it isn't disabling them...

There is two toggles independent of each other.

The first toggles how the CPU is presented to the OS. Either telling it to treat it like a homogeneous black box, or telling the OS the CPU's architecture (NUMA). This doesn't stop you from using all 16 cores, just means that non-NUMA aware things will be grouped into one set of cores or the other.

The second toggle turns off SMT. This also does not disable cores, just the ability to run more than one thread at a time on them (ala Hyperthreading)

Anandtech covers it in detail quite well.

11. OJR

OJR Member

Does anyone know if the 1900X is still dual Ryzen dies with half the cores disabled?

Or is it a zingle Ryzen die? I would guess the former?

12. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

I think it has to be two dies to facilitate the extra memory channels.

13. OJR

OJR Member

Ahh yes that makes perfect sense.

14. Scarecow

Scarecow Member

So the question is then can you have a full 8core die with just the memory controller working on the other die or do you have to have a 4/4 split between the dies?

Im really hoping it will be the first as it means no escape from the NUMA/UMA issues and would easily make me get the 1900x and stay on x399 for Zen2

ATM i really want to go a 1950x so hopefully in the coming weeks we will see patches to fix games dealing with NUMA

15. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

So what are you going to get now? Kaby-x or skylake-x?
    I guess that is always an issue when your cores are glued together [emoji3]

16. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

You do not lose half your cores. The switches are simply NUMA to UMA, and SMT On or OFF. And they're independent of each other.

17. trippinonprozac

trippinonprozac Member

Has anyone is AUS received their TR gear yet or did everyone's get delayed until this week?

18. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

19. Bertross

Bertross Member

20. Scarecow

Scarecow Member

nope you wont get a faster OC at all its just THE best mobo you can get for AM4 so kinda a waste of money I feel