[WIN10] Antivirus

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by drunkntigr, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

In a commercial enterprise situation, something with specific features might be required. I don't know.

For all other users...
    Windows Defender and sensible habits. Nothing more is required.
    In the case of the other AV options (at least, the free versions), I have my doubts whether they are any more effective anyway. Just more intrusive.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  2. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I had to ditch my last AV - bitdefender - because it was conflicting with Nvidia Shadowplay and preventing it from functioning. But after uninstalling it Shadowplay works just fine.

I had previously ditched Avast because it prevented Forza Horizon 3 from even launching.

3. Mace

Mace Member

4 question marks, really?
    Habit. And being old enough to remember when Defender was dogshit.

No. Plenty of customer machines have genuine infections. Otherwise they wouldn't be customers.

First impressions last. Defender used to be useless. Glad to hear things have changed.:thumbup:

4. ssar

ssar Member

That thread's last post is Oct 2016 - i like the idea of the dedicated thread, but more recent info since this latest major Win10 update might be relevant in this one?

A couple of family laptops here have the recent Win10 (Home) update which re-activated Win Defender & caused issues with the Avast Free AV running on them.

One of the laptops seems to be running OK now with both Defender & Avast Free, all updated etc.

The other I've uninstalled Avast, & Defender seems to be running fine (& am considering reinstalling Avast Free).

We like Avast especially including it's software updater tool, I know not necessary, but handy.

What's the concensus for this most recent Win10 updated version running Defender as well as an addition AV pogram now?
    Traditionally it seemed advisable to deactivate Defender & use another instead, not have 2 of them installed & operational?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  5. Griff

Griff Member

I have Malwarebytes Pro and windows Defender running together with no problems.

6. tree86ers

tree86ers Member

this is more personal preference but defender is capable. M$ tend to be more on top of the updates now days and with safe browsing habits are more effective then most AV software, that is where education should be.

as for running 2, would not advise it. especially if both are active scans as they would take system resources away.

7. drunkntigr

drunkntigr Member

oh haven't checked this thread.

have a lot of people plugging in their usb into my computers as use often for work.

don't think windows defender does that?

8. drunkntigr

drunkntigr Member

either way have just purchased kaspersky and symantec - cheap these days for multiple pcs.

9. pyr0bee

pyr0bee Member

defender has always been "adaquate", while it doesn't compete with 3rd party, calling it dogshit is a bit overboard.

10. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

About as detrimental to overall PC performance as chucking an attached boat anchor out the Window of the car.

These days, I can quite easily achieve literally everything I need out of a PC using Linux, if I want to play some short lived AAA title I have a Windows machine handy that I rarely use. IMHO, the best form of antivirus is to avoid Windows altogether, it really is over rated these days anyway, even considering MS Office, the worlds least compatible office suite.

Even most gaming I can do natively under Linux these days....

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  11. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Are you installing both on each PC ???? (the 4x ???? is just to annoy Mace on page 2 :thumbup:)

Win 7 i used Security Essentials, which had to be manually installed, the original Defender in Win 8 was pretty ordinary i believe (didn't use Win 8 for very long) but now days there is not much wrong with Defender in my opinion, so no need for anything else, and if i did install aftermarket AV software like some other people do, i would probably be calling myself, and others, very Paranoid.

For those who try to install Addon Virus software, it will usually disable Defender, has always disabled itself whenever i have tried doing it (for testing purposes)

I even stopped installing my multiple Malwarebytes licenses on family computers now that they all have Win 10 installed, just run Defender, and i have never had 1 single issue on any of them yet.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017